997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 with PCM 3.0 and updated iPhone?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 AM
jcoyle504
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 with PCM 3.0 and updated iPhone?

Hi all,

I'm a new 911 owner who purchased an 09 911 997.2 c2 (FIRST POST!). My car has the PCM 3.0 and doesn't have the universal audio input feature (iPod/USB/Aux) so I am considering adding the retrofit from Sun Coast Parts. In searching the various boards, it appears there were some early issues hooking up iPhones with iOS 11+ via the iPod cable and 30pin to Lightning adapter. Does anyone have an updated iPhone that they use successfully in their car with PCM 3.0? Would like to avoid spending the ~$800 on the device and installation if it will not work properly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I have the same care as you. Base 2009 997.2. It does have the USB/audio jack/old iPhone plug. I have used my iPhone 5s and now my iPhone 8 connected to my Bovee with no issues. Just make sure you have at least one song downloaded on your phone through iTunes or it will not work right.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Works for me too (PCM interface already installed on my 09 997.2) with both my iPhone X and 8 and Spotify/TuneIn. Just had to buy the 30 pin/lightning adaptor from Apple (get the one with a little cable attached).

I have though, sometimes, have to press Disc and then iPod again to get the iPhone song details to show on the display but that’s all (V2.24)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:18 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Dont hardwire your phone in. As mentioned pick up the bovee unit. It’s a Bluetooth box that you connect to and it gives the head unit playlist, artist, track names and full control. It works great!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Do the transit blue (search for it) Bluetooth option, about 175 installed.
I have had it in my 997.2 for the past 3 years and it works great.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Dont hardwire your phone in. As mentioned pick up the bovee unit. It’s a Bluetooth box that you connect to and it gives the head unit playlist, artist, track names and full control. It works great!
So how do you keep your phone fully charged (or do you connect your phone anyway to charge it)?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoyle504
Hi all,

I'm a new 911 owner who purchased an 09 911 997.2 c2 (FIRST POST!). My car has the PCM 3.0 and doesn't have the universal audio input feature (iPod/USB/Aux) so I am considering adding the retrofit from Sun Coast Parts. In searching the various boards, it appears there were some early issues hooking up iPhones with iOS 11+ via the iPod cable and 30pin to Lightning adapter. Does anyone have an updated iPhone that they use successfully in their car with PCM 3.0? Would like to avoid spending the ~$800 on the device and installation if it will not work properly.

Thanks in advance.
I know this is not exactly what you are asking...but I just use an old iPod Classic 160G with the 30 pin interface for my music. I don't charge my phone in car, but IF I needed to I could remove the USB dongle that charges the iPod, and connect a usb lightning cable to charge my phone. I use my phone via Bluetooth only. The old legacy iPod stays in the car permanently, and works flawlessly.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoyle504
My car has the PCM 3.0 and doesn't have the universal audio input feature (iPod/USB/Aux) ...
People are suggesting OP to plug in random things when OP doesn't have a place to plug into.

I retrofitted the universal audio input to my PCM. It had no trouble with any iOS version that I threw at it, starting around iOS 7 I think. I never put iOS 11 on my device, because why would I want to. iOS 12 works fine.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 AM
idonthaveamind
AutoX

Originally Posted by Frank996

So how do you keep your phone fully charged (or do you connect your phone anyway to charge it)?
Do you have a link please?
Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy
People are suggesting OP to plug in random things when OP doesn't have a place to plug into.

I retrofitted the universal audio input to my PCM. It had no trouble with any iOS version that I threw at it, starting around iOS 7 I think. I never put iOS 11 on my device, because why would I want to. iOS 12 works fine.
How difficult and expensive was it to retrofit yours?
Old 04-07-2019, 08:26 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have the same care as you. Base 2009 997.2. It does have the USB/audio jack/old iPhone plug. I have used my iPhone 5s and now my iPhone 8 connected to my Bovee with no issues. Just make sure you have at least one song downloaded on your phone through iTunes or it will not work right.
Looking for a solution to this issue. Current phone is Xs.

How does the Bovee/PCM handle Apple Music Radio?

I and thinking of going with Bovee or the hard wired "Y" cable.

What are the Pros & Cons of each option?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:59 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Bovee acts like it is hard wired, minus the charging. Connects over bluetooth. Gives you artist name, song, etc and ability to control music with stereo and steering wheel controls. Will also stream whatever music you are listening to the PCM.

I have the reenlist mount with a charger I use when needed. The phone connects automatically if I keep it in my pocket, don't want to have to manually connect if not needed. Keep an iPod in center console in case of no phone. Also the 997.2 will take DVDs so you can rip a couple thousand songs to one disc. This is my music solution.

100% recommended. Maybe 1-3% of the time I have to unplug and replug in the Bovee unit. That fixes a pairing issue.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:28 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
Looking for a solution to this issue. Current phone is Xs.

How does the Bovee/PCM handle Apple Music Radio?

I and thinking of going with Bovee or the hard wired "Y" cable.

What are the Pros & Cons of each option?
You need both the Bovee and the Y cable. The bovee uses the 30pin connector from the Y cable.
Bovee works fine with Apple Music, but you lose the "play next" and "play later" functionality.

Originally Posted by kellen
Bovee acts like it is hard wired, minus the charging. Connects over bluetooth. Gives you artist name, song, etc and ability to control music with stereo and steering wheel controls. Will also stream whatever music you are listening to the PCM.

I have the reenlist mount with a charger I use when needed. The phone connects automatically if I keep it in my pocket, don't want to have to manually connect if not needed. Keep an iPod in center console in case of no phone. Also the 997.2 will take DVDs so you can rip a couple thousand songs to one disc. This is my music solution.

100% recommended. Maybe 1-3% of the time I have to unplug and replug in the Bovee unit. That fixes a pairing issue.
The syncing issue is annoying but the car is at least partly to blame. I recommend leaving the bovee plugged in and unplugging the cable from the car. The 30pin connector on my bovee eventually failed becuase of this.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:32 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone have a link for the Y cable? Would like to purchase this for my iPod Touch, but couldn’t find it on sonnen, sunset, or suncoast porsche parts.

I finally purchased the universal audio interface and plan to get it installed this month.

Has anyone got this installed at an indy? It says on some websites to only get it installed at authorized dealerships, but that could be a BS lie.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:26 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...QaAviPEALw_wcB

If you are just installing a Bovee to the Y cable there is nothing to it. Just plug everything in. I have been using this setup for over a year and maybe had to unplug the unit half a dozen times to reboot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 with PCM 3.0 and updated iPhone?