Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off topic: New Canadian drinking law in Jan 2019

Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uwon
> So in Canada, the police can enter your home at any time and force you to take a breathalyzer test?
NOPE!
Depend, maybe yes. See this article. It may have some true from a defence criminal lawyer point of view.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4832762/i...reath-samples/
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 254 Posts

Then Trudeau finally made good on a campaign promise and POT is legal to smoke in the great North. Lots of cumins and goins going on right now. Bam !
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Many Canadians misinterpret this law and incite panic about rights. The thing is: you do NOT have the RIGHT to operate a motor vehicle; that is a privilege.

Yes, police no longer need "reasonable suspicion" to administer a breath test.

Similarly, police do not need "reasonable suspicion" to ask you for your driver's license while you are in a car.

What they are accomplishing by both of these items is confirming you are allowed to drive.

They are NOT allowed to administer a breath test if you are walking, or in your home, etc. Similarly, you are not required to provide your identification in these circumstances, unless they have "reasonable suspicion" or you volunteer the information. It is ONLY a means of verifying you are fit to operate a motor vehicle; same as confirming you have a driver's license.

I happen to be dating a Crown Prosecutor, so this has come up
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Honestly, I think this is irrelevant ..... as a practical matter. Police will do what they want and declare evidence as they need it. It happened to me. I was at a local bar listening to a band with a friend.... I had a fever... I did not drink a drop. About 1/2 mile from the bar, I was pulled over and given a sobriety test.... cop said I was weaving. How do you weave going 25 mph? He let me go. But I am not amused. They do what they want. Some of them at least.
bang on. they are going to do what they want and will manufacture reasons as needed.

to keep this post relevant to the forum section, I've found myself driving more slowly with the 911 than I did previous cars on the street, didn't even ever put the radar detector in it. Its enjoyable at much lower speeds.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:14 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No wonder so many jokes on Canadians. Here in the US we drive a 997 when no access to alcohol to get high. (that intoxicating flat 6 mixed with some Gundo and smoked via an xpipe)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off topic: New Canadian drinking law in Jan 2019