Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Weird ticking noise on idle (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1124260-weird-ticking-noise-on-idle.html)

leon yagudayev 01-15-2019 06:21 PM

Weird ticking noise on idle

Hi everyone,
Took my c2s out on Monday for a drive to keep the battery alive. I noticed weird ticking noise on idle. Both hot and cold engine . it's 2010, PDK. Anyone has experienced it? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

avonted 01-15-2019 10:49 PM

Check the condition of your serpentine belt and then check out (listen) to all of the pulley's. Mine had a tick and it turned out the belt had a little fray. Each time the engine rotated, the frayed part made contact with something in the engine bay. When the engine was revved, the sound went away. This was probably because the sound of the engine was louder than the fray.

swingwing 01-16-2019 12:14 AM

Could be something, could be nothing. 997.2 and newer have DFI engines, which run on much higher fuel pressure and injectors actuate more frequently. That’s what I think I’m listening to when I run mine. Normal ops, methinks.

kellen 01-16-2019 12:43 AM

Agree with above. Wouldn’t run into s mechanic but something to look at. My 997.1 had a slight tick, 997.2 more so.

Unless noticing other symptoms.

Keep us updated.

rw229 01-16-2019 01:45 AM

I agree with the above. Serpentine belt, pulleys, tensioners, high pressure injectors... the 997 makes weird sounds that I'm still getting used to.

Unless these are "new" sounds, I wouldn't worry. Maybe stick your head in there and listen for a source of the sound.

Frank996 01-16-2019 07:45 AM

Where's your oil level at?

Petza914 01-16-2019 09:15 AM

Stock exhaust? If not, in the colder weather (contraction) you might have a small exhaust leak which can sound like a tick.

Mumbles 01-16-2019 09:19 AM

Belt tensioner

Bruce In Philly 01-16-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 15569874)
Stock exhaust? If not, in the colder weather (contraction) you might have a small exhaust leak which can sound like a tick.

This....... I think I have this issue... some Saturday I am going to put the car up on jack stands and climb under there. I have a tick that occurs between just over 150 degrees and just under full temp. So only on warm up... but not cold. And I put on the Sharkwerks pipe..... My suspicion. Now I am hyper-paranoid so I have to listen pretty closely.

FWIW, my 2009 C2S has some wierd-ass sounds as it warms up. I am not worried as it has been this way forever. Now with 130K miles, I suspect it would have blown up by now if these noises were evil lurking in there. Shortly after I purchased my 2009 with 26K on it..... must have come off lease as the warrenty ran out at the same time.... I got a call from my indy.... he just started getting the new 9A1 engine due to coming off warrenty... he asked me if if my engine ticked as he had a customer show up worried. These 9A1 engines are a bit odd in the noise department.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

ChicagoSpeed996 01-16-2019 10:52 AM

I have a Cayman 981 with the 3.4L version of this engine and it makes nearly 0 noise on start up but at varying temperatures it makes a distinct ticking sound, goes with rpm. I have a video of it here:

Bruce In Philly 01-16-2019 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996 (Post 15570092)
I have a Cayman 981 with the 3.4L version of this engine and it makes nearly 0 noise on start up but at varying temperatures it makes a distinct ticking sound, goes with rpm.

Hard to say, but that sounds a bit like mine. Your point about temps is relevant to me.... when my engine is fully up to temp, I don;t hear it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Petza914 01-16-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996 (Post 15570092)
I have a Cayman 981 with the 3.4L version of this engine and it makes nearly 0 noise on start up but at varying temperatures it makes a distinct ticking sound, goes with rpm. I have a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gndNmdd2Fo

That sounds just like me DFI Cayenne and is nothing to worry about. High pressure fuel pump feeding the DFI injectors - the ticking is the injectors pulsing.

leon yagudayev 01-19-2019 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by avonted (Post 15569217)
Check the condition of your serpentine belt and then check out (listen) to all of the pulley's. Mine had a tick and it turned out the belt had a little fray. Each time the engine rotated, the frayed part made contact with something in the engine bay. When the engine was revved, the sound went away. This was probably because the sound of the engine was louder than the fray.

The belt just replaced in October. By a dealer shop as a part of 60k service

gioma 01-27-2019 04:35 PM

I've a 2009 C2S with 77000 km (48.000 miles) and I also can hear a tic noise at idle rpm. As soon as I rev up a little bit it disappear. First I got worried, thinking something serious was going wrong and I started paying attention to other 9A1 engines and it seems all them have this ticking noises. At Porsche dealer they said that it could be from distribution system and to make it properly it would be better to replace all valves and so on... finally I was advised by themselves to keep it as it is and to pay attention to the noise to see if it get worst before decide to replace all the stuff. Since then, I already drove like 7500 km (about 5000 miles) and the noise stays exactly the same. Sometimes it seems it has disappeared and sometimes it tics. I will do nothing if it stays as it was the first day I noticed it!

In the mean time, an ugly noise appeared only at 800/900 rpm and I thought it was coming from the left exhaust muffler. Finally, at the workshop, it was identified as the belt tensioner. Once replaced, the noise disappeared and the engine now sounds smooth, apart from the tic noise that seems to be less noticeable now...

In short, all 997 with 9A1 engines have a not nice tic noise and the belt tensioner is not as durable as one could expect.

Don't think I underestimate the engine tic noise. I have my car perfectly serviced, always at authorized Porsche dealers, and if I felt the distribution system was somehow not ok I would have replaced immediately whatever it was needed.

Cheers

CrocRocket502 01-27-2019 06:50 PM

I have 2011 987.2 CS PDK. 78,000 miles. For what it's worth, a while back I noticed a ticking noise inside the cabin right at the engine bay. I was pretty sure it was something I hadn't heard before, but after owning several other Porsche's, I knew how finicky their noises can be on any given day and didn't want to go full paranoia. Anyway, I took it to my mechanic and he felt like it was just the injector noise typical in the 9A1 DFI engine. However, shortly after I noticed the noise, the car would randomly take longer to start on cold starts. Not always, and never right after it had been driven. The cold starts progressively got worse until one time it started hard and went into limp mode. I got into the shop and the fault code was " high pressure fuel low" or something similar (going from memory). My mechanic replaced the high pressure fuel pump. She fires right up now and seems to run a bit smoother. I also noticed that I don't hear that ticking noise anymore. I'm not sure if the noise was related to the HPFP going bad or not, but it's sure gone. I don't know if that relates to your 997.2. I just thought I'd share in case someone else had experienced similar with a 997.2 . I hope it turns out to be a just random Porsche noise for you. Happy Motoring!