Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on GT3 style bumper from NR Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:22 AM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thoughts on GT3 style bumper from NR Auto?

Hi friends. Considering upgrading the look of my 997.2 a bit with a GT3 style front bumper. I’ve heard the one from Wicked Motors is just awful, so wondering if anyone has experience with the one from NR Auto: https://nrauto.com/product/porsche-9...-front-bumper/. If you have pics to support your argument I’d thoroughly appreciate it.

Also, what’s a fair price for a recently detailed (paint correction + ceramic coated) front bumper from a 997.2 C2S?

Cheers!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

No experience, but I like the look of it.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they offer fiberglass bumpers so plan on some fitting issues and additional body shop hours.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

for that price i'd go for the urethane OEM Aerokit bumper, which has much of the same look except for the top vent, will fit directly out of the box without modification by the body shop, and won't crack the first time you misjudge a curb. keep in mind the GT3 retaining frames and radiator ducts required to finish the job on the NR bumper will cost a small fortune on their own.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:44 AM
black997er
Instructor

Absolutely petza914! And fair point captainbaker and bmwfan328, and that makes me worried about the fitment a little bit. I would hate unsightly panel gaps after spending all that cash, although the nice thing is that the bumper comes with all the modified brackets for mounting to a Carrera. Still considering ... will post pics if I decide to go for it.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I considered the aftermarket options, and eventually went with an OEM GT3 bumper. Not cheap, but was a fun project.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 AM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I considered the aftermarket options, and eventually went with an OEM GT3 bumper. Not cheap, but was a fun project.
Cool! Do you have a good list of parts that you needed to get for this build? Would be very much appreciated! Btw I like your fabspeed CAI analysis post ... convinced me to add it to my list of mods!
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Go with the factory GT3 bumper. I am working on this project currently. There are a few good threads on all parts needed.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captainbaker
I think they offer fiberglass bumpers so plan on some fitting issues and additional body shop hours.
I can tell you on the fiberglass Misha full kit we installed on our Cayenne that there was quite a lot of fitment work that had to be done - shaping this curve, cutting away some of that and refilling and shaping, etc, but it was a much more involved project as we had to get multiple pieces of fender flares to match up to each other and to the bumpers and rockers, the front bumper with the hood, and the rear bumper to the rear door. The end result is spectacular (at least IMO), but the process not as much fun. The OEM GT3 bumper in PUR is surely a safer bet, but doing one bumper in fiberglass and not a complete kit would probably not be too bad if you found the right shop.

We took the car from this

To this

But there was a whole lot of this to get there

Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 AM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
I can tell you on the fiberglass Misha full kit we installed on our Cayenne that there was quite a lot of fitment work that had to be done - shaping this curve, cutting away some of that and refilling and shaping, etc, but it was a much more involved project as we had to get multiple pieces of fender flares to match up to each other and to the bumpers and rockers, the front bumper with the hood, and the rear bumper to the rear door. The end result is spectacular (at least IMO), but the process not as much fun. The OEM GT3 bumper in PUR is surely a safer bet, but doing one bumper in fiberglass and not a complete kit would probably not be too bad if you found the right shop.
Whoa! That’s a great looking Cayenne, well done! Now my project would just involve the front bumper but I hear you, I love plug and play pieces and so OEM is seeming like the right (albeit pricey) way to go. I need to save up for that conversion so for now I’ll go with another project I’ve been putting off: a Getty Ducktail.

Thanks gasongasoff and Hi-Arc for your input!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black997er

Whoa! That’s a great looking Cayenne, well done! Now my project would just involve the front bumper but I hear you, I love plug and play pieces and so OEM is seeming like the right (albeit pricey) way to go. I need to save up for that conversion so for now I’ll go with another project I’ve been putting off: a Getty Ducktail.

Thanks gasongasoff and Hi-Arc for your input!

Thanks a lot.

There's a used GT3 front bumper for sale in the new Marketplace - maybe the rear too in the same ad. Think they're silver if I remember correctly.

No affiliation, just saw it there yesterday.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks a lot.

There's a used GT3 front bumper for sale in the new Marketplace - maybe the rear too in the same ad. Think they're silver if I remember correctly.

Used OEM is the best way to go.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

fg bumper or body panel fitment always dicey

also, it always give me pause when car A tries to look like car B, just my one person's opinion

that having been said, everybody shd do what makes em happy
Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 AM
black997er
Instructor

Thanks a lot.

Just seen these but they are 997.1 GT3-style ... I’ve seen the right one in speed yellow but quite pricey. I’m tempted but given the parts list I’ve seen, I’m wondering if that look I’m going for is worth $5k+
Old 01-31-2019, 03:41 AM
black997er
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
fg bumper or body panel fitment always dicey

also, it always give me pause when car A tries to look like car B, just my one person's opinion

that having been said, everybody shd do what makes em happy
I see your point and props for suffixing it appropriately. I have to say though that cosmetic mods for me are less about trying to get the car to pose as something that it’s not but rather taking pieces from other cars that appeal to me. For example I like the GT3-Style bumper, and the Sport Classic style ducktail, and the 992-Style rear badge, and the 911R style side stripe decals. Modding then becomes an art form, an exercise in curation, and when done right (like the Cayenne above) it adds an extra dimension of fun to owning these cars. There are a few ways to do it wrong, like say applying a GT3-badge to a car that just isn’t one, but I’d say there are many more ways to do it right!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on GT3 style bumper from NR Auto?