Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Lid Struts

Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Front Lid Struts

I know this subject does not reach the level of Gundo hacks, GT3 plenums, track tires, or IMS bearings, but WOW, changing out my front hood struts made a HUGE difference in my daily driving life! The original left strut had been making a squeaking/grinding noise, but otherwise the hood lifted and stayed up just fine. Well, there was that time a strong wind blew it down on my head as I was putting my briefcase in it after work, but other than that, it always worked as expected. I bought new struts to get rid of the noise and installed them, and my hood has all new enthusiasm I have never before experienced since owning the car! It goes up very energetically and stays up regardless of occasional high winds. I actually have to pull on it a little bit to close it -- getting used to having resistance.

My car is a 2008 C2S daily driver with about 55,000 miles on it. If your car is approaching this age and the front hood on your car is not positively eager to open, consider replacing the front hood struts. The price is not horrendous ($79 from Suncoast) and they are a simple self-install. It gives back at least a little more new car feel for cheap -- especially if you use the trunk every day like I do.

Now back to the serious sports car issues . . .
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I replaced both my front and rear hatch struts a few months back at about 55k miles. Big difference.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, one of the best DIY projects you can do. I wish I had done it sooner.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

There is a Strong Arm version from Auto Zone for about half the cost of OEM that also lifts the hood slightly higher and slightly stronger, and they're also guaranteed for life. If /when they get weak, you just take them back and they'll give you a brand new pair.

Have them in both my 997s. They're part # 4031

Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
There is a Strong Arm version from Auto Zone for about half the cost of OEM that also lifts the hood slightly higher and slightly stronger, and they're also guaranteed for life. If /when they get weak, you just take them back and they'll give you a brand new pair.
I'm not sure I could handle stronger struts. My new ones (literally almost) knock me out!

Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 AM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

22 bucks each:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...ont+hood+strut

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Lid Struts