Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Thoughts on a rebuilt 997.1S (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1123152-thoughts-on-a-rebuilt-997-1s.html)

chestershotfries 01-09-2019 03:04 PM

Thoughts on a rebuilt 997.1S

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm relatively new to Porsches but have recently been eyeing and looking at buying one. I recently stumbled across a 997.1 Carrera S listed at 29k with a rebuilt engine and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether it is worth checking it out or not since the listing is relatively far away. The seller says that the engine was rebuilt at around 64k and has under 1000 miles put on it since the rebuild. He sent me the full receipt for the engine rebuild and I've attached it below. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

groovzilla 01-09-2019 03:17 PM

Tiptronic or manual transmission? Overall condition?
Seems like a good deal if all checks out after PPI and visual inspection/test drive - What is the weld repair listed 2x at bottom of invoice??

chestershotfries 01-09-2019 03:36 PM

It is a manual. Photos look good and it looks to be in pretty good condition though I'd have to fly over to check it out in person. I sent him an email regarding the last 2 items and asking for a little more information regarding service history, carfax, etc. Will report back once I get those.

rtl5009 01-09-2019 03:54 PM

Did they replate the cylinders or resleeve the block?

Iceter 01-09-2019 04:07 PM

Cars with rebuilt engines don't scare me when they come with documentation of the rebuild.

Cars with rebuilt engines with only a few miles on them since the rebuild scare the hell out of me.

Most people don't go through the trouble of a real rebuild and then turn around and sell the car immediately. The ones who do usually either did a crappy job because they intended to flip the car anyway, or they got the rebuild and have issues with the car and are trying to dump it before it grenades.

Proceed with caution.

chestershotfries 01-09-2019 04:16 PM

The invoice states that the cylinders are replated with Nikasil with a new aftermarket piston set. The low mileage after the rebuild concerns me as well which is why I am trying to ask as many questions as possible both here and to the seller. Do you guys see any issues that may be present in the rebuild from the invoice alone? Thanks again.

gulshan 01-09-2019 04:31 PM

Why dont you buy a 997 that needs an engine and get installed a 4.0 Nickies. May cost bit more but you could keep till you die..Below listed on this site
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1122339

vern1 01-09-2019 04:46 PM

You should just call the shop 9xx and also check out their reputation. Lots of guys here from CA that can probably provide some feedback. Find out who did the resleeve as well as thats critical obviously. The sleeves are not covered under 9xx's 12 month warranty which is now expired regardless

Bash Hat 01-09-2019 05:16 PM

Haven't used 9XX but they seem to get good reviews online.

Hella-Buggin' 01-09-2019 05:35 PM

This would be my concern. When your engine goes you have the choice of selling it as a roller, rebuilding the engine and upgrading it knowing that it's a financial loss but you do it anyways, putting in an ebay motor and selling it, or doing a cheap rebuild and selling it. The fact that it has so few miles since the rebuild tells me that he wants to walk away from it with as little financial loss as possible. I could be wrong.

chestershotfries 01-09-2019 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah I am being weary and taking my time about the decision. I have read on this forum that 9xx is recommended and a very good shop. He sent the Carfax report and it does report some side panel damage that is not shown in the photos on the listing. Does anything on here seem like a red flag?

Iceter 01-09-2019 10:14 PM

Ummm, does the fact that it was totaled in 2016 and it has a salvage title count as a red flag?

vern1 01-09-2019 10:15 PM

Have you called 9xx and talked to them?? They built the engine and if they have a good rep then they should be happy to answer your questions

Who knows why the guy is selling. People seem to default to the worst case speculation but maybe he just needs the cash (see recent post on guy trying to sell his car and it needs an oil change and coils). Maybe it is a lemon but maybe its a great car with a motivated seller. He spent $20k on the engine and selling for $29k. With a good rebuild it would be a steal. Id take a good rebuild with Nickies over a stock engine EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK

vern1 01-09-2019 10:16 PM

Oh and salvage title can help with the pricing haha

Bash Hat 01-09-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by vern1 (Post 15554796)
Oh and salvage title can help with the pricing haha

Why would he have spent $20k + on a totalled 997?? Maybe he bought it back from insurance and wanted to turn it into a track car??

Well, I’m in LA, if the car is local I don’t mind swinging by to give you a Rennfax on it.