Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Aftermarket LED headlight bulbs (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1123130-aftermarket-led-headlight-bulbs.html)

David911 01-09-2019 01:00 PM

Aftermarket LED headlight bulbs

I hate the performance of my halogen headlights. Has anyone replaced their bulbs with aftermarket LEDs? Did it work well? Any issues?

Thanks,

David
2008 GT3 Yellow

kellen 01-09-2019 02:19 PM

Oops, misread as LED fogs.

shyamvenky 01-09-2019 02:30 PM

I think the OP was asking about headlights.. not DRLs.

There was a thread here (or 6speed maybe..) a while ago that pointed to a particular LED kit and I think the conclusion was that it was an upgrade from halogen.
Not so much when coming from Xenon lamps. I'm considering it myself..

The main gotcha is the special tool needed to remove the headlight assembly from the car.

Another thing to consider is to polish the lens since it will be full of scratches and fading after years of use. That will also add to better lighting.

okbarnett 01-09-2019 05:41 PM

you are going to lose the aiming and reflective charistics of the porsche headlite enclosure. otherwise start experimenting and tell us what you find

outtadaloop 01-10-2019 01:30 AM

Bought LED headlights from DDM tuning. Absolutely no regrets.

Petza914 01-10-2019 09:26 AM

I put LED headlights into new Spyder housings in my pickup and they are much better than the halogens that were in there before. The special headlight removal tool referenced is actually in your car's tool kit and the instructions on where and how to use it are in the owner's manual.

They're like $50 a pair on Amazon - If I had Halogens in my cars (I have Xenon) I'd give them a shot and see how they are. The Xenon lights are great and I wouldn't mess with replacing those, but since you have Halogens, I'd try it. I just bought some LED bulbs to replace the headlights in my 914 - better light and lower power consumption. Also replace the fog lights and aux lights in my 928 with LEDs to match the color of the HID headlight kit that's in that car. Big improvement.

Here's a cool driving night shot of the 928 with them.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ac9a88f4ab.jpg

Dennis C 01-10-2019 12:05 PM

I haven’t done this in a Porsche, but I did this in one of my other cars. It’s a nice upgrade, but it has tradeoffs. The LEDs are much brighter. The main issue is that the beam pattern can be suboptimal when you install LED bulbs because of the way the light is dispersed compared to a halogen bulb. This could result in hot spots or dark spots. I’m not saying this will happen in all cases, but it’s possible. It happened to me. I still think the upgrade is worth it, but be aware that side effects are possible.

Sporty 01-10-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis C (Post 15555951)
I haven’t done this in a Porsche, but I did this in one of my other cars. It’s a nice upgrade, but it has tradeoffs. The LEDs are much brighter. The main issue is that the beam pattern can be suboptimal when you install LED bulbs because of the way the light is dispersed compared to a halogen bulb. This could result in hot spots or dark spots. I’m not saying this will happen in all cases, but it’s possible. It happened to me. I still think the upgrade is worth it, but be aware that side effects are possible.

Are these simply replacing the halogen bulb with an LED bulb or is it more involved ?

Bomar Shelby 01-10-2019 04:57 PM

Before you do anything watch this
. I just replaced my halogens on my 2012 Lexus ct200H which had projector style headlights and I am very satisfied. I bought from www.carlightingdistrict.com they currently are 25% off list with coupon code. I bought over black Friday for half off.

Dennis C 01-10-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty (Post 15556351)
Are these simply replacing the halogen bulb with an LED bulb or is it more involved ?

Plug and Play for most designs. One challenge is space in the headlight assembly. Ventilation for cooling is another potential issue. Neither of these issues mattered when I did this in my 2015 GMC truck.

jhbrennan 01-10-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by shyamvenky (Post 15553618)
The main gotcha is the special tool needed to remove the headlight assembly from the car..

The tool should be included with your toolkit. If not, you can source from Suncoast or just purchase a 5mm nut driver. The nut driver is a less expensive option and works just fine.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99957107702.html

Sporty 01-10-2019 10:26 PM

"Plug and Play for most designs. One challenge is space in the headlight assembly. Ventilation for cooling is another potential issue. Neither of these issues mattered when I did this in my 2015 GMC truck."

Thanks Dennis. When I get some time i will attempt to pull out my light assembly and assess. I'd really like to do this conversion from my halogens, seems easier than HID conversion. Surprised to see that the LEDs need cooling as I thought they would be much cooler than other lighting, you know like the ones you use in your house light fixtures where you can touch the bulb and they are not hot.

spy4pcar 01-01-2022 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty;[url=tel:15557442
15557442[/url]]"Plug and Play for most designs. One challenge is space in the headlight assembly. Ventilation for cooling is another potential issue. Neither of these issues mattered when I did this in my 2015 GMC truck."

Thanks Dennis. When I get some time i will attempt to pull out my light assembly and assess. I'd really like to do this conversion from my halogens, seems easier than HID conversion. Surprised to see that the LEDs need cooling as I thought they would be much cooler than other lighting, you know like the ones you use in your house light fixtures where you can touch the bulb and they are not hot.

Hi,
Did you end up doing the upgrade? If yes, can you share the detail?

Thanks

cbredesen 01-02-2022 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis C (Post 15555951)

In many (most? all?) cases it results in blinding oncoming drivers. Please don't do this.

Sporty 01-02-2022 01:01 PM

Yes I did this awhile back and they are a 100% improvement. No issues so far, was easy and inexpensive. Search this forum, I posted some pics and as well others have posted which ones to buy off Amazon