Sponsored by:

PCM 2.1 Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question PCM 2.1 Map Update

So I checked Suncoast, and their latest map update is 2015.

I recall that Porsche updated their maps every couple of years. Does anyone know when the next map update will be coming out?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Seriously why, the Nav system in these cars is so outdated compared to what your smartphone will do, I'm not sure why anyone would spend the time or money to update the PCM maps. The money would be better spent on integrating a BT streaming solution, like a Dension into the car (what I'm running) where you could have Waze displayed on your phone, while streaming music from Pandora, Spotify, or anything resident on the phone, while hearing the directions come through the audio system.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
So I checked Suncoast, and their latest map update is 2015.

I recall that Porsche updated their maps every couple of years. Does anyone know when the next map update will be coming out?
It's typically every 5 years. If your lucky it'll be 2020 but more likely probably never now as the technology is so old.
There are limitations to memory and processing power. To add more, some will have to be taken away.

Last edited by wc11; 01-09-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Always love it when the peanut gallery chimes in with their one size opinion fits all. No, not everyone thinks like you, and wants to add accessories to their factory Porsche. or cut the roof off their unibody sports car, or add fiberglass fender flares to their SUV. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong in your approach of trying to shame the OP into backing off from his desire for a proper Porsche PCM update. I too, would like to have an update, but my Service Advisor doesn't see Porsche putting one out since they have moved on to different technology. Frankly, I think it is criminal to sell $100,000 plus sports cars and make a $3,000 PCM option obsolete in as little as 3 years.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this too until I left my phone at home and was dropping off a date at 1AM in a strange city. PCM saved my *** last weekend. Corner case, sure.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:57 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I did my PCM update in 2015 and knew this was probably the last time as I'm in the industry and understand how things go. After that, it's cell phone with Waze or Google Maps or remove and replace the system with a current aftermarket one.
Many DVD based nav units older than 2006 are no longer being supported. Machines are too slow with limited memory. Many are now SD card or hard drive based maps.
It's a computer and sooner or later, it's obsolete. That is the way of things.
Keep in mind that my '05's nav system was probably developed in the late 90's.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Always love it when the peanut gallery chimes in with their one size opinion fits all. No, not everyone thinks like you, and wants to add accessories to their factory Porsche. or cut the roof off their unibody sports car, or add fiberglass fender flares to their SUV. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong in your approach of trying to shame the OP into backing off from his desire for a proper Porsche PCM update. I too, would like to have an update, but my Service Advisor doesn't see Porsche putting one out since they have moved on to different technology. Frankly, I think it is criminal to sell $100,000 plus sports cars and make a $3,000 PCM option obsolete in as little as 3 years.
Always love it when the idiot brigade chimes in. No, not everyone thinks like you and needs a service-writer and a pimple-face technician to simultaneously hold them by the hand because they don't know the first thing about their factory Porsche. Or brag about some contrived sense of a relationship with them because they think that having owned four Porsches makes them anything other than an a**hole that has owned four Porsches. Or feels entitled to perpetual PCM updates because they think it's criminal otherwise. I'll bet your Service-Advisor also doesn't see you pulling your head out of your a** anytime soon. Frankly, this forum would be better without you trying to shame people who actually contribute to this forum.

Last edited by Arctic997; 01-09-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
I need to meet this guy you're referring to in your post. Sounds like he's right up my alley, oh, and I also like peanuts.

I guess there's a reason

Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 PM
82_930
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Seriously why, the Nav system in these cars is so outdated compared to what your smartphone will do, I'm not sure why anyone would spend the time or money to update the PCM maps. The money would be better spent on integrating a BT streaming solution, like a Dension into the car (what I'm running) where you could have Waze displayed on your phone, while streaming music from Pandora, Spotify, or anything resident on the phone, while hearing the directions come through the audio system.

I have a vacation house in the Pocono mountains where there is absolutely no cell service. So I'd like to have my PCM nav up to date.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 82_930
I have a vacation house in the Pocono mountains where there is absolutely no cell service. So I'd like to have my PCM nav up to date.
That makes sense, though I can tell you from experience when my phone died on a trip from WI to SC and I could no longer make or receive phone calls on the cellular network that the GPS positioning of the phone still communicated with those satellites, even without a functioning AT&T SIM card in it and I was able to use the navigation the rest of the way from IL to SC. It was interesting because the Life360 app we use in the family locked our position on the side of I-90 where the phone capped out, so it needed the network connectivity even though the nav program only needed GPS sensor connectivity.

Next time your in that area without cell service it might be worth a test to see if your phone nav still functions. If so, and you're also an AT&T user, try removing the SIM card and see if it also still works. If so, that might give you some peace of mind if you can't update the maps programs and need to rely on the phone for nav even in a non-service area.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
82_930
Pro

Originally Posted by Arctic997
Always love it when the idiot brigade chimes in. No, not everyone thinks like you and needs a service-writer and a pimple-face technician to simultaneously hold them by the hand because they don't know the first thing about their factory Porsche. Or brag about some contrived sense of a relationship with them because they think that having owned four Porsches makes them anything other than an a**hole that has owned four Porsches. Or feels entitled to perpetual PCM updates because they think it's criminal otherwise. I'll bet your Service-Advisor also doesn't see you pulling your head out of your a** anytime soon. Frankly, this forum would be better without you trying to shame people who actually contribute to this forum.

I've owned four Porsches... and I would also like Nav updates, does that make me an a**hole too?

Take a chill pill, brother.

Also, Just and FYI:

There are nav updates for 1999 factory Porsche updates still being released, go look @ Suncoast's website, so it seems that Porsche IS still updating older systems.

Last edited by 82_930; 01-09-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM
82_930
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wc11
It's typically every 5 years. If your lucky it'll be 2020 but more likely probably never now as the technology is so old.
There are limitations to memory and processing power. To add more, some will have to be taken away.
Thanks for being the only one to actually answer the question that I asked!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

I need to meet this guy you're referring to in your post. Sounds like he's right up my alley, oh, and I also like peanuts.

I guess there's a reason

You crack me up! I have actual, real friends. Did you think that having “friends” on some forum is like real friends? I guess you think Facebook “friends” are your real, true, deep friends also!?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
82_930
Pro

That makes sense, though I can tell you from experience when my phone died on a trip from WI to SC and I could no longer make or receive phone calls on the cellular network that the GPS positioning of the phone still communicated with those satellites, even without a functioning AT&T SIM card in it and I was able to use the navigation the rest of the way from IL to SC. It was interesting because the Life360 app we use in the family locked our position on the side of I-90 where the phone capped out, so it needed the network connectivity even though the nav program only needed GPS sensor connectivity.

Next time your in that area without cell service it might be worth a test to see if your phone nav still functions. If so, and you're also an AT&T user, try removing the SIM card and see if it also still works. If so, that might give you some peace of mind if you can't update the maps programs and need to rely on the phone for nav even in a non-service area.

I'll try that as well, thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Arctic997;15554243]Always love it when the idiot brigade chimes in. No, not everyone thinks like you and needs a service-writer and a pimple-face technician to simultaneously hold them by the hand because they don't know the first thing about their factory Porsche. Or brag about some contrived sense of a relationship with them because they think that having owned four Porsches makes them anything other than an a**hole that has owned four Porsches. Or feels entitled to perpetual PCM updates because they think it's criminal otherwise. I'll bet your Service-Advisor also doesn't see you pulling your head out of your a** anytime soon. Frankly, this forum would be better without you trying to shame people who actually contribute to this forum.[/QUOTE

Wow, listen to you! You’re so smart. You know so much about me and what I don’t know. And I guess everyone is supposed to have only your opinion! I’m sure I’ve forgotten more about automotive marketing and engineering than you’ve ever known. But then you must already know that! Good night, clueless.

Quick Reply: PCM 2.1 Map Update