Sponsored by:

Paper Work & Documentation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Paper Work & Documentation

Getting ready to purchase a 997.2 GT3 - low mile car, car passed PPI with flying colors. The only issue is there is NO paperwork or service history with the vehicle.
Im told this is not "uncommon" for a more modern car, but I was hoping to see:

1. Original Window Sticker
2. Build Sheet (code sticker) Not under hood but usually in the maintenance booklet on a 997.2
3. Some form of service history - this could be a print out from the porsche dealers it was serviced at, or even receipts if the car was serviced at an indie shop

How important does everyone feel about these items? It's a great car, but I feel like with a six figure investment I really want to have at least a small file with the car.
Maybe I keep the car for 20 years, maybe only 2 years - I don't know or have a plan on this, but I'm feeling like the lack of this paperwork will hurt resale regardless of time frame.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:44 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Even with a stack of service history, stuff still breaks. If it passed a thorough PPI, they would have found neglected items. It's low mile too? So perhaps nothing has been needed!

Start the file now, and drive the car!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll concede it depends on the car. For a GT3 of any type.. I'd have some expectation to get something. But I've also supplemented the lack of paperwork in hand with some data I gathered from various Porsche dealers where the car was serviced. For me personally, I've gotta have at least something. Either some kind of service history in hand or be able to get a dealer to verbally confirm that some sort of work was done. It's not unreasonable.

It can take a bit of convincing and detective work but finding out where the car was serviced and calling the dealer to ask about what work was done (they've balked at doing more than giving me a verbal confirmation previously) has worked out. If you can't get a single bit of maintenance data but the car is in top shape I'd still consider it at the right price. There can be some mitigating factors too, like say the last owner had the car for 7 years. On the other hand of the situation there could be some aggravating factors that I wouldn't be able to ignore, a car with 0 records of anything thats had more than 3 owners.. I'd be hesitant.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you buying from a dealer or a private individual? From a dealer, that's almost always the norm. You could find out where it has been serviced (by looking at the Carfax perhaps) and see if the dealer can give you redacted service receipts.

It's preferable to have all that and may affect resale value but I've not had any problems purchasing without all that information WITH a clean PPI. After the purchase though I normally get the oil changed, brake fluid flushed, etc/ regular maint prior to putting some hard miles on it.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM
jstdenis
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Never understood the failure to keep receipts for ALL service work. Seems like it would give a boost to resale value; especially on high end vehicles. I have a 2007 Hyundai(63K miles) and have every receipt for all service work since I purchased new and a journal detailing service specifics with mileage. Needless to say my Porsche vehicles have all service receipts; unfortunately I am not the original owner and neither vehicle came with service records.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I have never been asked for receipts or service records for any car I have sold.... especially to a dealer. What service records I got when I purchased my 997 (from a dealer) were in the maintenance log that came with the owners manual. It's certainly not complete. I tried to get more information by emailing the previous owner but got no response. There may not have been much service done on a low mileage car, so lack of documentation doesn't mean much. I'm concerned when I find a lot more service done than I would have expected for a car's age and mileage. .
Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Ben@ThomasClassics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is pretty common. Like others have said, check the carfax for service history. For the build sheet, go to Vin Analytics

Usually a thorough PPI is all that really matters.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks all - helpful information here ^
Good news; the carfax actually shows a fairly detailed service history. It lists the dealerships it was serviced at and even provides some detail on what was serviced.
It does not go into specifics like "plugs, belts, etc" but I can now call the dealerships to understand what was / was not done. There are now privacy laws in place so technically the dealerships are not supposed to release any info - so they wont release paper work BUT they do seem willing to tell me "yes" or "no" if I ask specific questions. So I've got a good feel for the cars service history and documentation (via CarFax) on service history. I can start my own file on the car with my ownership.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:34 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Records

My recent purchase of my 105,000 mile 2012 C4S had receipts from dealer back to 30,000 miles. This was very helpful. My local dealer was able to run a Carfax and AutoCheck report for me even though I did not purchase through them. On these records, the service information matched up with most all of the work done by Manhatten Motor Cars and noted on those receipts. Most dealers particpate in this large database. Of course, any local mechanic's work would not be in the system. I am a fan of receipts but it might not kill a good deal.

How about that!? You saw the info on the Carfax.

Last edited by bella1; 01-08-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Carfax

Quick Reply: Paper Work & Documentation