Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Coolant flush? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1122964-coolant-flush.html)

rkdav 01-08-2019 10:22 AM

Coolant flush?

My Porsche dealer says that the coolant in my 2005 Carrera S is 'lifetime' and doesn't need to be flushed although it is original. I admittedly over-maintain the car to some degree and am inclined to go ahead and have them do it but if the dealer is right I hate to spend the ca. $450 they want to do the job. Your thoughts?

semicycler 01-08-2019 11:45 AM

Your water pump will die eventually. It's common on 997's. Flush the fluid when that happens. Or proactively change your WP and flush the fluid if age/mileage is high enough

996AE 01-08-2019 11:54 AM

Ask if a service bulletin has been issued changing the Factory spec on life time fluid for cooling system.

Semitone 01-08-2019 12:06 PM

I’m in the same boat. I have a 987 with the original coolant. I’ve thought about changing it but then decide not to based on the “ lifetime” recommendation. I’m not a fan of throwing away money because I am paranoid or uninformed. On the other hand, being cheap and foolhardy isn’t appealing either. LOL

One thing to consider,IMO, is also changing the rubber hoses during the flush. Rubber deteriorates over time. We are looking at 14 years on 2005. I’m sitting on the fence there too. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and replace stuff before it becomes a problem. In fact, I just bought new tires last year because of age not wear for my TR6.

In in any event, I wish I could help but I have the same conundrum.

Astur 01-08-2019 12:32 PM

"Lifetime" can have a lot of things of meanings... on a personal note I'm 71 so there's that. :)

Well back to our cars. I have a 2009 997.2 C2 with just barely 24K miles, so at this rate lifetime could probably mean forever. But realistically speaking, having 10 years of the same coolant flowing through my engine is not my idea of good maintenance practices. Worse yet, it's probably a source of built up electrolytic contaminants that will affect the overall cooling system and specially the failure prone water pump.

So in my case I've scheduled a visit with my independent shop for a flush/change and thus create a new "lifetime" for the coolant.

mjsporsche 01-08-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by semicycler (Post 15550347)
Your water pump will die eventually. It's common on 997's. Flush the fluid when that happens. Or proactively change your WP and flush the fluid if age/mileage is high enough

Agree with your thinking. When the water pump goes, the entire system will be refreshed.

D1coach 01-08-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Astur (Post 15550462)
"Lifetime" can have a lot of things of meanings... on a personal note I'm 71 so there's that. :)

Well back to our cars. I have a 2009 997.2 C2 with just barely 24K miles, so at this rate lifetime could probably mean forever. But realistically speaking, having 10 years of the same coolant flowing through my engine is not my idea of good maintenance practices. Worse yet, it's probably a source of built up electrolytic contaminants that will affect the overall cooling system and specially the failure prone water pump.

So in my case I've scheduled a visit with my independent shop for a flush/change and thus create a new "lifetime" for the coolant.

Also have a (new to me) 09S with 24,000 miles with original coolant. My Indy has over 25 years as a porsche tech and is very sharp. He recommended changing the coolant so I did so yesterday. He has worked on my previous Porsche’s and always leans towards only doing the necessary. I tried to get him to change the plugs as well since they are original - he refused, telling me to wait until 40,000 miles irregardles of age.

C4SDayton 01-08-2019 09:55 PM

My 08 has 28k and original fluid. The indy I am going to said they do not see problems with the coolant and do not have a change interval recommendation. As with others, they recommend prophylactic water pump replacement around 50-60k depending on age.

Petza914 01-09-2019 10:00 AM

The water pump will fail between 45,000 and 65,000 miles. Do the coolant refresh then. Sometime before or after this second water pump fails, the coolant expansion tank will crack and that will give you your next opportunity for the coolant refresh. No need to do it until one of the other cooling system failures occurs.

rkdav 01-09-2019 10:47 AM

Thanks to all for your responses.

My car currently has 25,000 miles. I drive about 4,000 miles per year. So if I wait for a water pump failure, assuming it occurs at about 50,000 miles, I'm looking at another six years on the original coolant. I think I'll have them flush it in the spring and then change it again when/if the water pump or coolant reservoir fails. Maybe a waste of money right now but worth it for my own admittedly obsessive peace of mind.

bheit1 01-09-2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by rkdav (Post 15550148)
My Porsche dealer says that the coolant in my 2005 Carrera S is 'lifetime' and doesn't need to be flushed although it is original. I admittedly over-maintain the car to some degree and am inclined to go ahead and have them do it but if the dealer is right I hate to spend the ca. $450 they want to do the job. Your thoughts?

I have gotten the same advice from my local dealer and indy shops. Last summer I replaced the coolant in my Cummins powered Ram pickup with Cummins' permanent coolant. They don't recommend changing it ever, just use test strips to monitor strength of additives every couple years, and add additives accordingly. This process is used on commercial trucks that see hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of miles. I haven't heard if Porsche provides test strips or some other system to monitor coolant quality. Additives won't last forever.

NuttyProfessor 01-10-2019 10:03 AM

The previous owner of my car had the front radiator replaced, but the shop that handled it put just run-of-the-mill standard green coolant in the car. When I replaced the coolant expansion tank, I requested that it be flushed and have the proper coolant put back in the car. Personally, I believe when the car is undergoing preventive maintenance that involves the cooling system (water pump), it may be a time to have your car flushed. When they flushed out the green stuff, it did NOT have a nice clear bright look to it. It was very cloudy and dark green.

yelcab 01-10-2019 11:53 AM

It's 100 bucks for coolant. What are you waiting for?

Dartmouth 01-11-2019 12:29 AM

So, I bought my 09 4S with 50,000 miles. It now has 76,000 miles. Never before flushed the coolant fluid. Should I do a complete flush and replace?

Petza914 01-11-2019 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dartmouth (Post 15557650)
So, I bought my 09 4S with 50,000 miles. It now has 76,000 miles. Never before flushed the coolant fluid. Should I do a complete flush and replace?

The .2s don't seem to eat water pumps the way the .1s do, so in your case, a water pump failure in the immediate future does not seem to be a certainty, so at 75,000 miles I probably would when it's convenient. Use Porsche pink coolant and distilled water.