Sponsored by:

Broken bell housing bolt and now i've compounded my problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:52 PM
minion
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broken bell housing bolt and now i've compounded my problems

Any suggestions on how to remove a broken bolt with a broken extractor in it would be great.

So, started out as a clutch job, in and out in a couple hours was the plan...now a month later I need to get this job done. All the bolts came off easy except one... it was just plain stubborn and then ended up snapping off a bit too easily. I ended up dropping the complete powertrain and drilling it out. This went ok, then like an idiot thought I'd use and easy out to simply turn out the previously seized bolt.. guess what? tapped it into place a bit just for a trial run and started to apply some torque to it..snap. like butter.

Has anyone run into this before?? what a pain in the ***. the gearbox is stuck on there pretty well and i cant pry on it without damaging some metal flanges. I tried re-drilling the broken easy out but its not going anywhere..

the broken bolt

location of seized fastener

broken easy out
Old 01-05-2019, 06:03 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Get that thing to a good shop and have it burned out. Porsche did that for me when I had a water pump bolt break off in the case.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:53 PM
BG3
Advanced

Probably too late at this point but, PB Blaster is the best penetrating spray I've ever found for seized threads. I was told about it by an old farmer years ago.. He depended on it for his livelihood.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

That is odd that the bell won't pull away.... the bolt is not screwed into the bell housing but only the block behind it. The bell is held on by the threads in the block and bolt top... which is now removed. What am i missing? It appears there is an odd torque on the system.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Nothing to do but pull the transmission.

Easy outs are worthless. They’re supposed to be hardened steel but all that does is make them easier to snap off and then impossible to drill after you do.

After you pull the trans, I would suggest welding a hex head onto the broken bolt if there’s enough meat to weld to. Then hit it with a wrench. The heat of welding usually helps break the bond between the bolt and block, too.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM
minion
Intermediate

it does seems strange for sure. only thing holding the trans on is the corrosion. I can get a bit of movement out of it since all the fasteners are off, but that's about it. I picked up a few grinding stones for my dremel today. 45minutes later it seems a bit of progress has been made. a bit hard to tell from the pics, but here you go.

after we snapped it, it was soaking for a few weeks with some Wurth pentrating oil. trying to free it up, but no luck. Once (IF) the gearbox comes off I feel like the threads in the block will be fine..maybe i'd be able to turn them out by hand .

Off to Lowes again for another pack of grinding stones.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:21 PM
minion
Intermediate

In regards to taking the whole thing to a shop...

that's the plan if I can't grind it out in situ. I've heard wire EDM is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Opus1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was involved with many a broken tap …..
You might seek out a "good " machine shop that has the equipment to snag that puppy.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 676 Likes on 319 Posts

If all the other bolts are off you just need to wiggle the **** out of it and it’ll separate.

Have you applied any heat? A few hot cool cycles will break up corrosion too
Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I’m starting

Clutch job next Sunday 07 C2S. What is your car? Which bolt was it? Wondering now if I should take an extra day for PB Blaster.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 PM
minion
Intermediate

we did put some heat on the housing adjacent to the bolt and wiggled the **** out of it. no luck.

a bit of extra penetrating oil wont hurt. the location of the bolt is in the first pic. I also think this one uses a dowel.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Yeah, easy outs are almost always a bad idea. They are hardened steel, so busting one keeps you from drilling it any further unless you get an expensive bit. I am surprised you couldn’t drill that completely out though.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 676 Likes on 319 Posts

What did you use to hold the motor steady while wiggling the trans?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM
minion
Intermediate

Sorry for the lack of updates but I just got a chance to look at this again the other day and happy to report that the drive train is now in two pieces (as it should be for a clutch install).

I wanted to update this for the sake of others that go through something like this and for that fact that a rotary tool (ie: dremel) can be used to grind out hardened tool steel such as my broken easy out.

Total of about 2hours of grinding using a number of special grinding stones (#84922) and a tungsten carbide bit. Once the easyout was turned to dust I proceeded to drill out the bolt to a point where is was weak enough to wiggle the whole assembly loose. I made sure to use some GOOD titanium bits. I didn't want to break one after all this mess.

The reason that the bolt was corroded is a bit crazy though. it seems that an insect or mouse of some sort thought the bell housing was a nice warm and dry place to store organic matter, this must have been holding enough moisture and passed it on to the dowel and bore for the bolt! That thing was on there good! Now to get the rest of the bolt and dowel out.

I am pretty proud of my drilling skills now though

The two arrows point to the dowels.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BG3
Probably too late at this point but, PB Blaster is the best penetrating spray I've ever found for seized threads. I was told about it by an old farmer years ago.. He depended on it for his livelihood.
PB Blaster is good, Kroil is even better.

Quick Reply: Broken bell housing bolt and now i've compounded my problems