Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $40k 997 Turbo Scam: Anybody want to have some fun?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts
Default The $40k 997 Turbo Scam: Anybody want to have some fun?

So the other day on Cars.com I saw a 2007 997 Turbo 6SP with 37k miles listed for $40k. I figured it was a scam or salvage job but the curiosity got to me so I emailed the seller. It was immediately clear it was a scam, as "Robert from Tennessee" became "Milan Savic" a dentist from Poland. Its a pretty impressive scam and I wanted to let you guys know a) as a public service announcement and b) im happy to pass him around if anybody wants to **** with him some more. I've been sending him a new question everyday to keep him tied up. He diligently replies to every one :-)

First, the scam goes like this...

- The guy claims he is a dentist in Poland and lists his dental practice website and phone number in his email signature. The website looks legit, very detailed, all staff listed, etc. It only looks fishy when you check the DNS and see its registered in Panama.
MILAN SAVIC
DR
Dental Surgery
ART DENT SOLUTIONS
m: +48 22 219 6156
w: www.artdentsolutions.com e: milan23savic@gmail.com
- His pitch goes something like this: he bought the car in the US and shipped it to Poland only to realize the import taxes are too much. He now needs to sell it and will of course include ocean transport back to the US in the selling price. It will arrive in 19 days he says :-)
- He sends me some gorgeous professionally taken photos and lists probably $30k+ of mods on the car.
- He sends me a Vin that matches WP0AD29997S784019 the car description
- The catch: Its all legit he claims because an escrow company will hold funds until the car arrives and I have 2 days to "test drive it". If I don't like it, of course the escrow company will refund the money...
- Where we left off is he he now wants to introduce me to the escrow company to discuss the details.

Its a sophisticated long con and the guy knows what he is doing. I've been waiting for him to ask me to wire the funds but he knows hes got to soften me up a bit first and not be pushy.

Ive already alerted Cars.com fraud department and they removed his listing.

Im happy to pass him around to "other interested buyers" if you guys want to **** with him some more. If not, i'll close him down today and ruin his weekend.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Good looking out.

Here are where he stole those pics to use in his scam.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4577422
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Id pay that just for the wheels. But seriously Bruce, you got waaaay too much time on your hands!!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These guys would do a lot better posting great rather than "too good to be true" prices.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:43 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

MILAN SAVIC
DR
Dental Surgery
ART DENT SOLUTIONS
m: +48 22 219 6156
w: www.artdentsolutions.com e: milan23savic@gmail.com

Reposting the info so search engines have a better chance of picking it up if anyone googles him.

Thanks for looking out, Vigilante Bruce!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

You should have said you would pick the car up at his practice in Poland for a couple weeks vacation and drop it off in port on way back.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:10 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You could ask him for some extra pictures and see how creative he gets. Something like the VIN would be challenging without having the car.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:17 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Id pay that just for the wheels. But seriously Bruce, you got waaaay too much time on your hands!!

Flattered! Love those HRE P40's!

Me thinks Milan from Poland might get some spam emails soon
Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

LOL - tell him your bank charges a fee for putting money into Escrow companies accounts and you're ready to wire the cash but just need $200 to cover the fee's :-)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the escrow company located? Did he give you the name? Wire fraud is a federal offense.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by rap
Where is the escrow company located? Did he give you the name? Wire fraud is a federal offense.

Nigeria, Ukraine?
Federal offense doesn't mean much to these guys who operate outside the US.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Owner of ArtDentSolutions, Doctor of Dental Surgery, a graduate of Medical Academy. Since many years in his daily practice he focuses on dental surgery and implantology especially for kids.
I found this line on the fake? dental website. Children don't get dental implants. Unbelievable how convoluted these scams can get.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce

- The guy claims he is a dentist in Poland and lists his dental practice website and phone number in his email signature. The website looks legit, very detailed, all staff listed, etc. It only looks fishy when you check the DNS and see its registered in Panama.
Seems legit, all his dental assistants are Polish
Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fastest way to flush out a scam is ask them where the car is located and reply with, 'OMG, my mechanic cousin lives in the same city! When can he come over?' Crickets.
Another scam I found a few months ago was a DBag who used the name and similar phone number of a defunct mom and pop used car lot in Pocatello Idaho. They lifted pics from a higher end dealer in Atlanta and priced their cars about 10% below what a good price would be. Since im from the UT-ID area. the first clue was the topography was off, way too green. I messed with the guy for about a week while sitting in a hotel room on the road. Lots of tell me about the car, has recall XYZ been done, Ill buy it..send over a sales request, I need the western union number again......what you didnt get it? Please confirm the number, OK Ill resend in the morning, please check again. What! It wasnt there? (Him) Dear sir you mixed up the last two numbers!!!!!!!!!! Please fix this ASAP as I have other buyers.

Since there was a Walmart with a Western Union a block from the hotel, I would send him pictures of the form with the WU office in the background for added effect with the correct information. At the end of the week, I sent him a link to the site where he lifted the pics from and said, they gave me a better price, so sorry for your efforts.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a good looking car...

Quick Reply: The $40k 997 Turbo Scam: Anybody want to have some fun?