Sponsored by:

Thoughts on C4 I just tested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
BG3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thoughts on C4 I just tested?

So, a base 997.2 C4 was the last on my list to drive. This is an interesting car. Would like to hear your thoughts.

This C4 is a CAN car. Had two accidents early in its life one listed as more than $2K CAN and one less than $2K CAN. No records on accidents. Was under lease at the time in Canada. Was brought to the US a few years ago. Has been serviced by dealership since.

74k mi., Needs tires, brake pads and brake flush. That's just what I can tell by receipts before a PPI. They're firm on price. Seems reasonable if it were up to date and didn't need at least nearly 2k in maintenance items... What would you consider a fair price?

Have a PPI scheduled shortly...
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

36k PDK
38k manual
Old 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

997.2 C4 with 75k miles I would put mid to low 40s depending on miles, condition, history. But add in the accidents without history is a big red flag. Add in new tires ($1000-1500), brake pads and flush ($4-500 if DIY, prob $1500-$2000k at dealer/local), I think mid to high 30s sounds good. Maybe you can meet in the middle and have them do the work on it.

Whats their ask?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM
BG3
Advanced

Ask is 39,900
Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Decent price, but its light on options. The hole in the air box lid is strange and I would at least demand they replace the brakes.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:13 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by rjaudi
Decent price, but its light on options. The hole in the air box lid is strange and I would at least demand they replace the brakes.
Think its just a water drop.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Originally Posted by kellen
Think its just a water drop.
Haha,you are right.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:26 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol...was just looking at that car online, def piqued my interest....I won't contact dealer unless you walk...good luck with PPI.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:30 PM
BG3
Advanced

Originally Posted by boze_man
lol...was just looking at that car online, def piqued my interest....I won't contact dealer unless you walk...good luck with PPI.
Thank you for the respect and consideration! I'm waiting on a repair estimate from the PPI before moving forward. Should have numbers on Monday.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:44 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

I dont see a link.......GOOD JOB ( I hate it when members post links to cars they are looking at just to have a lurker swoop in)! You also dont specify if its an S so, assuming it sails past a PPI, $39k Is more than fair if you like the color combo etc. I would hammer them on the tires and brakes because thats a safety issue.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:03 AM
BG3
Advanced

WOW, I learned a lot today. Long, soaking wet day. Left the house at 7:30am and got home at 9:15pm. It poured all day, until I left to get back on the road home.

This car is a conundrum. As I mentioned to Boze_man, I'm waiting for a repair estimate from the PPI before finalizing my decision but, I'm leaning away unless I get a good surprise. The dealer will not budge an inch. The car was in two accidents. We were able to determine the the front bumper cover, the crush panel behind it and hood have definitely been replaced. The fenders were suspect but, needed more time to confirm. The car needs several items fixed or replaced that are rusted out or broken, and some basic service done and they refused to do anything. Sales guy literally asked me how much more I wanted to pay for the car... The SM asked me what I wanted and I offered to pay their ask if they would simply make the car right. Then the SM gave me the story about how his techs are the highest paid in the industry and he can't afford them.

News flash. I have worked in the auto industry on some very unique special vehicle programs. I know this game... I've since built several successful businesses and one thing I know for certain. I've gone as far as selling things at a loss but, I made sure the customer left with a first rate product and/or service experience. Even though I may have lost money on that item or sale, that came back to me in spades. Their kind of business practice will only cost you in future revenues that you will never know about. I don't know what they have in the car. Don't care. Profit or loss, you should always put out the best product or service you can. If you can't, you shouldn't. I thought that was part of the Porsche mantra but, I'm probably confused or ignorant.

The car also has something going on with the clear bra. It covers the entire front clip but, there are dull waves from nose to cowl, fender to fender. The mechanic pointed it out once the car started drying under the shop lights. I never would have seen this outside. Great eye.

It drove well. I put the awd to the test and it handled it with aplomb. It is a very stripped car. I thought Nav and BT for your phone was standard. Not on this one! The passenger seat rattles at a stop/idle unless you have it all the way down. The car shook at idle like a V8 with a serious cam. The other cars I've driven didn't do this. Otherwise, interior was fine with some minor issues that can be fixed. There were also some faults that will need to be further investigated.

If this doesn't work out, I'm happy to share all the pics, PPI and details, if a prospective buyer wants to split the PPI cost with me. If someone is just itching for this car, let me know and I may just go ahead...

Edit: This may have sounded otherwise. So, to clarify. The sales staff and Sales Manager were a pleasure to talk to. Just very matter of fact. There's no animosity. Just a difference of philosophy.

Last edited by BG3; 01-05-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BG3

It drove well. I put the awd to the test and it handled it with aplomb. It is a very stripped car. I thought Nav and BT for your phone was standard. Not on this one! y.
So when you hit the Nav or Map button, nothing displayed? Could that be a result of it originally being a canadian car?

I'm pretty sure Hands free calling via bluetooth is standard, if you were looking to stream music, I don't know that was ever an option in a 997.2
Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 AM
BG3
Advanced

Correct. Said not available, IIRC. Phone may be and just needs to be set up.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:11 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I'd walk. Dealer won't budge or even bother to get it running right. Parts rusted out, damaged front end. Keep looking. Let them have it sit on the lot for some sucker.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What did the mechanic say about the idle? I'm no expert, but that V8 sounding idle would be alarming to me in a 3.6 car with stock exhaust (I'm assuming it does not have PSE).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on C4 I just tested?