Sponsored by:

Texas drivers: Farm to Market 170 drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Texas drivers: Farm to Market 170 drive

A question for local Texans. Am driving through south Texas in a couple of weeks from Dilley to El Paso and on to NM and Phoenix. Is it worth the bypass down to 170 through Terlingua to Presidio and back out - Big Bend country? Would likely stay overnight in Presidio given my timing. This road shows up in an article i found on "12 most fun roads in America"

Cheers and thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I am newer to Texas, but the local PCA chapter has made Big Bend a Porsche Trip each year. I have not heard anything, but great things about the area. I plan on going with the chapter this year to this area.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by doclouie
I am newer to Texas, but the local PCA chapter has made Big Bend a Porsche Trip each year. I have not heard anything, but great things about the area. I plan on going with the chapter this year to this area.
Thanks. Can always join me on the way through. Hopefully i will have the top back down once i am that far south

Cheers
Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Thanks. Can always join me on the way through. Hopefully i will have the top back down once i am that far south

Cheers
Well we still have highs in the 60’s and 70’s down here.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Good enough for me highs here around 25-30. 40's are good enough to get the top down with the seat heaters on!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Big Bend is super cool, it's like what you think of Texas in the Wild West. Lajitas resort is a nice place to stay close to Terlingua
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I can't say I've ever been out to Big Bend before, hopefully someday.. The good TX roads I've driven before are further east, along the twisted sisters (335 / 336), but that is much further out of your way..

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2019, 12:02 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

Big Bend is a treat, like nothing else. Desert and mountains, hot and cold all at one time. Once saw a black spider crossing the road, bigger than the full middle yellow stripe. Then stop at Judge Roy Bean saloon in Langtry. Way cool especially when consider time frame he was there and what he accomplished, especially with the boxing match. Langtry also has (had since even a while) super cool desert garden.
And if coming from the west, swing by Pancho Villa state park in NM. Site of US first aerial warfare. Enjoy the miles!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Big Bend is super cool, it's like what you think of Texas in the Wild West. Lajitas resort is a nice place to stay close to Terlingua
Thanks. Have an 8 hr drive mapped that day so trying to get a bit further than Lajitas to Presidio but who knows with weather etc. Will put it in my notes, thanks

Originally Posted by saabin
I can't say I've ever been out to Big Bend before, hopefully someday.. The good TX roads I've driven before are further east, along the twisted sisters (335 / 336), but that is much further out of your way..
Coming from the east (leaving from Leesville Louisiana that morning), planning to hit hwy 32 to Blanco (another recommendation) north of San Antonio then on to 170 and Presidio. What town is near 335/336?

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Big Bend is a treat, like nothing else. Desert and mountains, hot and cold all at one time. Once saw a black spider crossing the road, bigger than the full middle yellow stripe. Then stop at Judge Roy Bean saloon in Langtry. Way cool especially when consider time frame he was there and what he accomplished, especially with the boxing match. Langtry also has (had since even a while) super cool desert garden.
And if coming from the west, swing by Pancho Villa state park in NM. Site of US first aerial warfare. Enjoy the miles!
Giant spiders yay!! Looks like i am passing through Langtry as i am coming from the east. Hoping to make it to Silver City in NM after i leave Presidio. Cheers
Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 AM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Bandera is close to 335/336 Twisted Sisters. Stop into Arky Blues on Main Street for a cold one before moving along!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:02 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcaskey57
Bandera is close to 335/336 Twisted Sisters. Stop into Arky Blues on Main Street for a cold one before moving along!
My route seems to take me right through Bandera but still cant seem to find the Twisted Sisters. If i keep stopping for beers i will never get there!!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 AM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

There are plenty of maps on the internet, just type in Twisted Sisters Texas. It is actually just West of Bandera, Tx. but here's one just in case. Here's another tip...go North on 335 and South on 336. Enjoy and write about your trip!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:17 AM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Our local PCA chapter (Lone Star - Houston) just did a long weekend tour of Big Bend. Absolutely worth the time to go down there. The National and State parks are spectacular and the River Road (Terlingua to Presidio) is a bucket list item. I also agree that the Lajitas Resort near Terlingua is probably the best accomodations in the area.

I also recommend the 166 & 118 loop outside of Fort Davis if you are in that area. It goes up to the McDonald Observatory and is a very fun, twisty drive.

Enjoy!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcaskey57
There are plenty of maps on the internet, just type in Twisted Sisters Texas. It is actually just West of Bandera, Tx. but here's one just in case. Here's another tip...go North on 335 and South on 336. Enjoy and write about your trip!

Got it, thanks! Think i may be staying near Ulvalde that night so can maybe hit it in the morning before heading to 170

Originally Posted by RobbieVan
Our local PCA chapter (Lone Star - Houston) just did a long weekend tour of Big Bend. Absolutely worth the time to go down there. The National and State parks are spectacular and the River Road (Terlingua to Presidio) is a bucket list item. I also agree that the Lajitas Resort near Terlingua is probably the best accomodations in the area.

I also recommend the 166 & 118 loop outside of Fort Davis if you are in that area. It goes up to the McDonald Observatory and is a very fun, twisty drive.

Enjoy!!!
Enjoy I will!! Looks like i come near Fort Davis so can hit at least part of the loop on my way out of Presidio heading to NM. Will check Lajitas and see if i can work it in.

Someone told me Texas roads were crap and to just hit the interstate and get through as fast as possible. Clearly that is not the case. Thanks for the help and suggestions!! Will wave when i pass through late Jan
Old 01-05-2019, 01:59 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Did I read your one day route correctly...Leesvile, LA to Presidio, TX? Google shows that as 840 miles...that’d be a long day on the interstate much less scenic roads.

Anyway, I’m in the Texas Hill Country just north of San Antonio and well familiar with great drives around here to include out west to Big Bend. I would not plan to ever stay in Presidio. Best driving roads are w/in the hill country boundaries...out west is flat and uninspiring—-from a drivers perspective. Big Bend is a beautiful park, but doesn’t sound like you’ll have any time to spend there.

Anyway shoot me a PM and I’ll gouge you up. Like someone said above the sisters, west of Bandera are good but expect to spend hours in there.

Cheers

Shaggy

Quick Reply: Texas drivers: Farm to Market 170 drive