Texas drivers: Farm to Market 170 drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:24 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by vern1
Someone told me Texas roads were crap and to just hit the interstate and get through as fast as possible.
I just got back from a 2 week house hunting trip in the Austin area. I can report that the secondary Texas roads are in great shape there. Plus the 70-80mph speed limits are fun. Looks like I will be moving to San Marcos in a few months. Looking forward to hill country drives!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Did I read your one day route correctly...Leesvile, LA to Presidio, TX? Google shows that as 840 miles...that’d be a long day on the interstate much less scenic roads.

Anyway, I’m in the Texas Hill Country just north of San Antonio and well familiar with great drives around here to include out west to Big Bend. I would not plan to ever stay in Presidio. Best driving roads are w/in the hill country boundaries...out west is flat and uninspiring—-from a drivers perspective. Big Bend is a beautiful park, but doesn’t sound like you’ll have any time to spend there.

Anyway shoot me a PM and I’ll gouge you up. Like someone said above the sisters, west of Bandera are good but expect to spend hours in there.

Cheers

Shaggy
Leesville to Presidio is 2 days. 1st day to around Hondo (444 miles on the route i planned which includes route #32 up to Blanco) and then Hondo to Presidio (465 miles including 170 to Big Bend). May have to adjust that slightly if Presidio is some kind of hell hole.....will PM you, thanks

Originally Posted by keynes
I just got back from a 2 week house hunting trip in the Austin area. I can report that the secondary Texas roads are in great shape there. Plus the 70-80mph speed limits are fun. Looks like I will be moving to San Marcos in a few months. Looking forward to hill country drives!
I like the sounds of that speed limit!
Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

My route is pretty locked in and i just wanted to thank everyone, esp Shaggy, who chimed in to help. Will be heading out Mon from Toronto and will be down in Texas by Sat

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Texas drivers: Farm to Market 170 drive