Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   How much mileage is co sideres too much??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1122184-how-much-mileage-is-co-sideres-too-much.html)

Steph1 01-03-2019 09:39 PM

How much mileage is co sideres too much???

Ladies, Gents,

I am currently looking to buy my first Porsche and like most, have been dreaming of owning a 911 all my life.... Well, at least my teenage years and the beginning of my adult life, until I started driving jeeps and not caring about road conditions.

Recently, my wife who's afraid to ride as a passenger on my motorcycle, shared the frustration she feels everytime I come back from a ride and share my adventure... you know, saw a bambie here, almost hit a bear with her pups, the horse I saw at each ride all summer, finally gave birth... etc....

Doing so, she opened the door to a new toy... a convertible car. And I saw an opportunity��

Amongst a few 996, I have my eye on a 2007 997 Carrera 2 convertible with auto tranny , the IMS was replaced with lifetime warranty. Problem is that the car has 166000 kilometers, or 104000 miles.

Because of the mileage, it is within 5Gs to the 996s that I am also checking out with half those miles. A 2003 Carrera 4 with half this milleage but I hate the wheels and the IMS not done,and a 2001 Carrera 4 with 3/4 of that mileage but the IMS and RMS done with hardtop but I hate the wheels again.

I prefer by far the look of the 997 with those sexy hips, and it has the wheels I want and nothing to change.

So by the time I'm done, they would pretty much be costing the same.

what do you advise me to do. It would most likely be a summer occasional weekly driver and week-end toy. I would probably put some 5000 miles a year on it.

Thanks.

Wayne Smith 01-03-2019 09:59 PM

Buy the 997, it's what you want. The mileage is not a problem.

kellen 01-04-2019 02:06 AM

Thorough PPI, borescope and good history with documented service wouldn't bother me. Depends on price.....

sandwedge 01-04-2019 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith (Post 15540144)
Buy the 997, it's what you want. The mileage is not a problem.

Simple as that. Buy anything other than the one you really want and chances are you'll have regrets going forward. Kind of curious about the circumstances surrounding the IMS replacement. No small task on a 2007 and what company offers lifetime warranty on it?

Zoefhaus 01-04-2019 04:34 AM

I always kept 35k miles (55k km) as a rule of thumb for buying secondhand cars.
This means you buy a car which has not been worn out, and (normally) has no big maintenance costs in sight.
Then if you drive it for a few years, you'll still be able to sell it with relatively low mileage, getting a better price :)

Zoefhaus 01-04-2019 04:50 AM

An overview of the mileage of my private-owned cars (i.e. excluding company cars):
- 1st: 10k miles
- 2nd: 27k miles
- 3rd: 3k miles
- 4rd: 0k miles (new)
- 5th: 25k miles
- 6th: 35k miles (the 997)

Never had any issues with any of the cars, except with the one I bought new...
But that was an Alfa, so makes perfect sense :icon501:

Steph1 01-04-2019 07:38 AM

Mileage does bother me.

It's just that with a 996, no matter what I do to it, I would regret not having those sexy hips and super wide rear tires that give it the ever oh so sexy stance. And the headlights bother me... and so does the 90's dash.

if I go with this high mileage 997, I end up with basically the same cost than buying a 996 and addressing the IMS, RMS and changing the wheels.

the 996 are in upper $20G and the 997, in the mid $30G.

What bugs me the most is that THE 997'S price stays a bit close together, in the way that I could have one with 20 000 miles for a mere $3-5Gs more, and one with half the mileage for $10Gs more..... you know, a guy has to draw the line somewhere!!!

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, a 2017 Audi Q5 and a Victory Hammer motorcycle. So adding a 997 has to be done intelligently. And that's where I'm kind of stuck i my brainstorming.