Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carmax wants to paint one panel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM
pian0_player
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carmax wants to paint one panel?

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing my first 911! It is a 2010 Carrera from Carmax. Unfortunately the front panel that opens for the front trunk is heavily scratched. Carmax is offering to paint only that one panel, and they insist on the carmax shop doing the work, and they won't do it until after I purchase the car. Its not a pristine example which is okay for me as I want to use the car regularly, but I am wondering peoples thoughts on the effects of future resale value? I am very worried that the paint will not match the rest of the car and I will be stuck with a 911 that no one wants to buy down the road? I don't really want to spend 6 or 7k to have the whole car repainted. I know Carmax is not ideal for purchasing vehicles like this, but the price is right. Thoughts anyone??? The car is black on black.

Thanks so much!!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

They'll get the paint close enough that it won't impact resale later on. If the price is already "right" - and the car isn't pristine to begin with - you shouldn't worry about the small stuff. Get the car if you like it. Enjoy it. If you keep it 5 years, that one panel won't even be a relevant memory when you sell it.

-td
Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

My understanding is that plain old non-metallic black is the easiest color to match. Since it's also the most prone to showing chips, pits and scratches, I'd let them do it and enjoy the clean, fresh look. Since you say it's not a pristine garage queen, the people who really get hung up on original paint probably won't be interested anyway.

Be sure there's some documentation showing that the repaint was done for cosmetics, not to hide an accident.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you take some before and after pics so you can document what takes place I don't think it will affect value. Scratches (that require re-painting) are also going to affect the value.
You could bite the bullet and pay for the work yourself so you can choose where the work is done.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:33 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A future purchaser of your 997 will likely order a CARFAX report and have a PPI done. Either or both will report this body work. Some buyers will simply walk away because of this, others will use the report as a bargaining chip. Keep in mind that all colors are hard to match, metallic colors and blacks can be especially difficult.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:46 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on how long you plan to keep the car and how many miles you plan to put.. If you will keep 5 plus years and take it to high mileage it does not matter. Otherwise you can easily find black on black 997.2's for less than carmax prices at P dealerships. Maxcare is the only reason to go with carmax.. These days third party warranty like Fidelity is only available for 2012 model year and higher and costs way more than maxcare. Maxcare is about $4,000 for 5 years bumper to bumper which is a great deal.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by gulshan
Depends on how long you plan to keep the car and how many miles you plan to put.. If you will keep 5 plus years and take it to high mileage it does not matter. Otherwise you can easily find black on black 997.2's for less than carmax prices at P dealerships. Maxcare is the only reason to go with carmax.. These days third party warranty like Fidelity is only available for 2012 model year and higher and costs way more than maxcare. Maxcare is about $4,000 for 5 years bumper to bumper which is a great deal.

+1

If it is already showing a bit of wear and you plan to use the car like its... an automobile (ie get in and drive it, and not use it like a garage fixture)... it doesn't matter.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this regular black or basalt black?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If the hood is so messed up that it needs to be repainted, then having it repainted won’t have a negative effect on the car's value unless they completely F-up the paint job.

O’bluetouring’s question is a good one. Basic Porsche black should be relatively easy for a modern and competent shop to match. Basalt black is a whole ‘nuther animal. I wouldn’t trust that color to anyone but a shop that specializes in high-end cars with a stellar reputation.

Also, I’m afraid to tell you that in many parts of the country, $6 or $7k won’t get you much of a paint job.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 PM
pian0_player
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies everyone! Carmax eventually agreed to paint the panel before purchase after some back and forth. If its finished I will see it tomorrow, and if it looks good I will take it home! Also, I believe the color is the normal black, not the basalt, but I am not 100%. I do plan on using the car daily and am definitely getting the maxcare warranty which was the main reason I am looking at Carmax. Thanks again everyone for the quick responses!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Cheaper paint jobs seem to chip easier. Some PPF may be worth it in the long run.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by pian0_player
Thanks for the replies everyone! Carmax eventually agreed to paint the panel before purchase after some back and forth. If its finished I will see it tomorrow, and if it looks good I will take it home! Also, I believe the color is the normal black, not the basalt, but I am not 100%. I do plan on using the car daily and am definitely getting the maxcare warranty which was the main reason I am looking at Carmax. Thanks again everyone for the quick responses!
Good deal & good luck with it.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 AM
pian0_player
3rd Gear

Turns out the car had a clear bra and when removed the scratches were gone! No need to repaint! I just came home with my 911, thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:12 AM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pian0_player
Turns out the car had a clear bra and when removed the scratches were gone! No need to repaint! I just came home with my 911, thanks for the help everyone!
Congrats!! I know exactly which car you were referring to now if it had scratches on the clear bra I actually saw the car in person last Thursday. For your reference, the color is basalt black metallic, according to the original sticker. Enjoy the car!!

Quick Reply: Carmax wants to paint one panel?