Sponsored by:

997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:09 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
The OP does raise an interesting point about the global impact of a large-scale shift to electric vehicles. Think about the impact on gasoline demand, motor oil and things for lubrication. That shift, and growing desire to move away from many plastic applications and styrene will have interesting implications for oil companies and the Petrochemical industries (adjusting the refinery balances).
Sadly many people believe that their environmental footprint goes down by using an electric vehicle. The reality is that the electricity unless it is created by solar or wind power, is created by natural gas, oil or coal. My state generates 90% of its electricity from natural gas, 2% is generated from coal (down from 10% in the last 8 years), renewable energy accounts for only 5%. While natural gas is a better option than coal or oil, we still have a long way to go before the oil companies need to get nervous. I imagine that the oil / gas companies will look to squeeze every drop of oil / gas that they can from the earth until they move forward with renewable energy as their main product.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm retired and is enjoying my Porsche a lot and I do drive it. However, if I am still working, no doubt EV cars will be my daily driver. There is no denying that our personal vehicles has evolved and the ICE cars will eventually be replaced by EVs. Just like the locomotive that started as steam engines burning coal and wood logs, then evolve into diesel and now into mag bullet trains. The trend is very obvious for our vehicle. A lot of folks here are in denial, but this evolution is in progress and EV will be mainstream sooner then you think.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova997
Taking a bus or the subway in NYC is much better than driving your 911 there (bus is much better option).
Yes, but is public transportation better than driving an EV?!?
T
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Oh we accept them, we just wont drive them

Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 PM
Chef Sheff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While no EV will replace my C2S, I do have to say that if you are dismissing EV or Tesla as a commuter or around-town option because of preconceived notions, looks or assumptions, maybe try it first? I was a Tesla "dismisser" for years while all my Bay Area friends swooned. Test drove a Model S and it was below average, outside of the tech. But then a good friend let me bash his Model 3 dual-motor around the mountain roads near Woodside/Pescadero/Pacifica for two hours and HOLY crap. The earlier comparison to an earlier 3-series was pretty apt, but add instantaneous torque, 4-wheel torque vectoring, one-pedal driving, etc. I was also impressed that in those two hours of pushing hard, I only went through about a quarter of the battery.

For now, I drive a Bolt as my daily commuter and I love it. Yes, it's ugly and handles poorly. But with 45 miles round trip every day, free L2 charging at work, a 240 mile range and a cheap lease, it handles all the LA freeway/etc and bad neighborhood trips that would be a waste of mileage in the C2S for next to nothing. The biggest fringe benefit is that when I get into my C2S 2-3 times per week, it feels like a really special event with sounds and smells and vibrations and grip and this cool manual gear shift lever to hold onto. I never take it for granted. Best of both worlds, really.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by php
I view Tesla as a very advanced tech gadget (if you will) that transports one from a to b. If you view it as a tech gadget, it's amazing. I just don't view that as an automobile.
Agreed. Porsche himself said ''a car that just gets you from A to B doesn't go far enough'
Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
This seems like an odd topic for a forum that is so highly resistant to change. Most of the members here still can't accept automatic transmissions.
A good start would be for the "resisters" to finally accept that the PDK is not an automatic transmission. There's no torque converter and the actual transmission is the same seven speed manual used in the traditional manual cars but with a dual clutch system that operates without a clutch pedal. It can be shifted manually with your right hand on the shift lever just like a regular manual. Difference is that you don't have that third pedal and you don't move the gear lever in an H pattern. Just forward and aft. I don't see this as a big deal in return for incomparable performance but a small number of die hards still do. And that number is small (10%) and getting smaller.

The PDK transmission utilizes the same constant-mesh gear set and synchronizer configuration as Porsche’s modern manual gearboxes, but there are two separate transmission input shafts, each with its own multi-plate clutch pack.

What is certain at this time is that a two-pedal transmission in a modern Porsche is certainly not a compromise from a performance standpoint, and the PDK, in fact, outperforms most of us. Porsche customers have overwhelmingly endorsed the concept by choosing the two-pedal option 90 percent of the time.

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...n#.XC7_n817mUk

Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 AM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gearbox debate in a Tesla thread?

Tesla has shown us even PDK is obsolete in the face of 2.5 second 0-60, a family sedan no less. Any shifting slows you down, period.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 AM
strickrn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old school?

i drove my friends Tesla too. Afterward, I cranked my 385 HP, naturally aspirated manual six speed with rear wheel drive and never thought about the Tesla again. The market changes based on how we behave. The 10 year old iPhone comment really stuck with me. I can’t see buying a Tesla today.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If one is after a dragster and behave like a teenager between red lights get a Tesla. If one seeks proper driving dynamics on a circuitous road get something else.
if one is driving Pittsburgh outbound towards the Fort Pitt tunnel, you need all the acceleration you can get. You have a short distance to cross over several lanes. Your turn signal only signals the other drivers to close the gap.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Take a minute and read about lithium mining.

https://www.thermofisher.com/blog/mi...cars-be-mined/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact
Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Forget about Electric vs. ICE.....I won't buy a 991 because I hate the way it looks so how could I buy a Tesla! I know when I'm walking away from it I won't turn around to admire that bizarre looking thing!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:58 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Yes, Lithium Mining is not clean.....but so is Crude oil. Remember the Gulf of Mexico?

Yves
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Yes, but is public transportation better than driving an EV?!?
T
In NYC, yes (of course I wouldn't expect a Mets fan to agree with a Yankees fan).
Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Blah, blah, blah...they said the same thing when quartz watches came out, then they said it again when cell phones came out....and yet still we have mechanical watches. The watch industry (horology) is doing better than ever.

Quick Reply: 997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla