Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

A sports car with the same weight distribution, curb weight, and size as my 997.2.... I'd have to consider it carefully as a third (possibly even 2nd if the performance warrants it) sports car. I don't own sedans and my 997.2 is the largest/heaviest car I have. Any loss of agility or sporting feel is a nonstarter. But if it checks the boxes as far as curb weight, weight distribution, size, and sporting feel/agility.. it'd be hard to argue with in addition to a traditional sports car.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't it take 10 mins to engage (or warm up batteries) for ludicrous mode? I wonder how much 'real world' use this has, or if it's just a gimmick.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:15 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Unfortunately I believe Bruce is right that the internal combustion engine will be in the minority in the future rather than the majority, but it will never satisfy how I like to drive. Self driving cars and electric motors just don’t do it for me. I will never not have a car that does not have an internal combustion engine. I can’t even stand electric steering in vehicles so how would someone think I would want an electric car. I know I am in the minority, maybe not on this forum, but definitely the minority with most people I know.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I can’t even stand electric steering in vehicles so how would someone think I would want an electric car.

This is exactly what I thought until I test drove a Model 3. The handling, ride and steering feel blew me away. It was exactly like how the German stuff *used* to feel. My preconceptions were completely shattered.

I know the Model 3 is not a dedicated sports car like a 911. In that context, it's not comparable. But compared to other sports sedans (340i, S4, whatever), IMHO, the Model 3 has no equal.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
This is exactly what I thought until I test drove a Model 3. The handling, ride and steering feel blew me away. It was exactly like how the German stuff *used* to feel. My preconceptions were completely shattered.

I know the Model 3 is not a dedicated sports car like a 911. In that context, it's not comparable. But compared to other sports sedans (340i, S4, whatever), IMHO, the Model 3 has no equal.
Your point might be well taken by some. The German sedans of yesteryear I would like to pass through my garage, even if for a little while, were all more analog. I never aspired to have an S4 or M3 with an automatic. I guess the more reasonable comparison is to a new S4 or M3. I haven't driven them, nor a Model 3, so all I can say honestly is the Model 3, for me, is just butt ugly. If the model 3 performs at a high level, it needs to look the part. It would be one thing if it cost 35k in real life without government handouts or a two year wait, but it costs more like 55k+ for the performance and range people talk about, and when people drive them in real life in 25 degree winter weather they need to get somewhere close to quoted range, like within 25%.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:12 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
Yeah friend had one before trading it in for a M3. Couldn’t make the 200 mile round trip ever. It was ok to drive (so is a golf cart) but I was more impressed on the brakes (shocker)

may work well in the cities but in the rural areas, it has a very very long way to go.

This is my worry being out here in flyover country and liking to take long road trips. How long does it take to refuel? I was told 30 - 45 min was typical. If so, that'd be a major pain.

As for the future, we have no idea, just that it'll be different. By now, we should have all been driving nuclear powered hover cars based on all the old news reels. I just came back from a consulting gig with a Fortune 10 company and with all their resources, it's clear that they have no idea what their disruptors will be even in their own narrow market 10 years down the road.

It's going to be an interesting ride though...T
Old 01-01-2019, 11:26 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I too recently drove a Model 3 AWD that ran 0-60 in 3.4seconds, and that car was around 70k. While the torque is impressive and I was nauseated from being thrown back!, the driving dynamics weren't on par with my E90 M3, a very appliance like car similar to a Honda or Toyota.. No question the electric cars can blow away most high end sports cars in 0-60 but Tesla hasnt yet got the driving dynamics nailed like Porsche or BMW. I also think most of us are from an older generation whom grew up on IC engine cars will have a hard time adopting the electric cars unlike the millennials.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:28 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I actually purchased a Tesla Model 3 (took delivery on Oct 3, 2018). I got basic black, white interior, with dual motors...I love the car. When at a stop light, I love stomping on the accelerator and just shooting off the line. Would make me giggle like a little girl. Took time to get used to the regen brakes and the deathly quiet interior. I got it because I hate, Hate, HATE going to the gas station...didn't really get it for the environment. Charging at home is so convenient. My set up charges my car 30 miles for every our its plugged it. That said, I am still trying to talk my wife to allow me to get a summer weekend car which is why I am on this forum. I am wanting a used Cayman, Boxster, or a 2008 to 2013 BMW M3 coupe. We will see if I succeed lol.

Oh...looks are subjective ....I like the way my car looks...blacked out the chrome and tinted the windows it looks sweet to me. I also did not have any defects. Only thing that sucks is that it is my first black car and I live in Pittsburgh so in the winter, it get dirty very easily.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkalhan
I actually purchased a Tesla Model 3 (took delivery on Oct 3, 2018). I got basic black, white interior, with dual motors...I love the car. When at a stop light, I love stomping on the accelerator and just shooting off the line. Would make me giggle like a little girl. Took time to get used to the regen brakes and the deathly quiet interior. I got it because I hate, Hate, HATE going to the gas station...didn't really get it for the environment. Charging at home is so convenient. My set up charges my car 30 miles for every our its plugged it. That said, I am still trying to talk my wife to allow me to get a summer weekend car which is why I am on this forum. I am wanting a used Cayman, Boxster, or a 2008 to 2013 BMW M3 coupe. We will see if I succeed lol.

Oh...looks are subjective ....I like the way my car looks...blacked out the chrome and tinted the windows it looks sweet to me. I also did not have any defects. Only thing that sucks is that it is my first black car and I live in Pittsburgh so in the winter, it get dirty very easily.
wont you have to go to the gas station again though with the Boxster, Cayman or M3 though.....?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

If one is after a dragster and behave like a teenager between red lights get a Tesla. If one seeks proper driving dynamics on a circuitous road get something else.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 AM
pkalhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Slc801

wont you have to go to the gas station again though with the Boxster, Cayman or M3 though.....?
this is true but for driving just weekends and not using it as a daily, I won’t mind that much.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 AM
pkalhan
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
If one is after a dragster and behave like a teenager between red lights get a Tesla. If one seeks proper driving dynamics on a circuitous road get something else.
I don’t do that much any more. On the tesla it shows you how efficient you are driving and by basting from stop light to stop light, you quickly realize it’s not that efficient. Trying to get better at that.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:51 AM
Chicane5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting perspective. I agree that there will undoubtedly be a revolution in the fundamentals of transport - be it the shift away from ICEs, pervasive use of autonomous vehicles etc etc, but for me I wasn't sold.

On a recent vacation to Palm Springs my buddy and I did a car swap - he'd just bought a Model S, so one morning on a run to the grocery store to get BBQ supplies he drove my 997 C4S (MT) and I took his Tesla. Within about 5 minutes I thought I was going to throw up from all the regenerative braking. I felt motion sick and unnerved from the eerie quiet of the acceleration.

Once we got to the store my buddy was grinning like an idiot from having ragged my 911, and I was looking pale and headed for a bathroom.

I would buy one for my wife and get some novelty from driving it myself occasionally, but not for me as a DD.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:55 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
That is only true if nothing important fails, but if it does... be ready to replace a myriad of sensors, controllers, cables, connectors, displays, etc., and open your wallet big time. Also... watch for Li-ion fires, not only your car, but your house if car is parked in garage. Be ready to enter the disposable e-car era.

Doomsday preacher.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 130K miles

Folks.... um.... the internal combustion engine will be dead. So will most of the automobile-related business in the USA and world.

My friend just got a new Tesla (traded in an older model). I don't know the model numbers... but four door sedan with all wheel drive. 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds....... did you just read that? 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds. Unbelievable.... just unbelievable. He put it in "ludicrous mode". Does anyone really know what that kind of full torque feels lilke? Sheesh.

Lots of impressive things about these cars and I'm sure they'll eventually come out in all kinds of different renditions. So in anticipation of that, what did the exhaust sound like for those of us who wants a sports car to sound like one? Anywhere close to a GT3?

Quick Reply: 997 blown away - just rode in a Tesla