Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Doug, brother, every time you post you crush a little piece of my soul.
lol rennlist is great because we have the most civilized disagreements.
now back to that Gibbs DI40 oil....
Old 02-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Please, do not turn this into an oil thread. If you have a question on oil... or want to pontificate, please start a new thread.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Guys, l turned my PMs off after getting bombarded with questions about this. Then l started getting messages about it through the support system on the flat 6 Innovations site.

This failure is not out of the ordinary. The sky is not falling, and there’s no reason to build an Ark.

These things are entirely why l was reserved about sharing the findings, especially on a forum. We’ve gotten way off track with a lot of posts in this thread.

At the end of the day things are ending up about as good as they can be for Bronz. His damage will lead to about the least expensive procedure that we offer, based on the failure, and collateral damage. Likely it will be even less money than l had quoted him originally, based on what l saw today, as l finished up the teardown.

Things still have to be measured, and l still need to magnaflux the crank, but it looks like Bronz won the lottery as far as our customers go. This is about as good as it gets.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Thanks Jake!

Guys...patience is a virtue...Don't chase the messenger away!...This said by a 996 guy who lives with these types of possibilities every time I start my car. Take a deep breath. It will be ok.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Bummer you were slammed with pm's and at the FSI support network.
Well that is great news for Bronz as far as cost to fix! Looking forward to hearing the final outcome.
Sounds like the 4.0 upgrade may not necessary or part of the solution for Bronz and he will save some cash.
Although that 4.0 is awfully tempting at this point No pressure Bronz
Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Bummer you were slammed with pm's and at the FSI support network.
Well that is great news for Bronz as far as cost to fix! Looking forward to hearing the final outcome.
Sounds like the 4.0 upgrade may not necessary or part of the solution for Bronz and he will save some cash.
Although that 4.0 is awfully tempting at this point No pressure Bronz
We’ll see where it goes. The cash savings come from the collateral damages thdidn;t exist as l had hypothesized after viewing the video.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:57 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

The suspense thickens.......where the changes on oil analysis the result of bore scoring or some other catastrophic metal on metal wear? That also resulted in engine function abnormal noise? What was that large plastic appearing particulate in the oil pan?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by docdrs
The suspense thickens.......where the changes on oil analysis the result of bore scoring or some other catastrophic metal on metal wear? That also resulted in engine function abnormal noise? What was that large plastic appearing particulate in the oil pan?
l knew we were dealing with adhesive wear when l saw the degredation of the anti- wear package. The trend data shows that clearly.
The wear metals that were NOT present told me what was failing. Of course, to do this you have to precisely know the elemental composition of the components within the engine. The oil analyst at Blackstone didn’t know that, and didn’t spot what l did.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Without going into a lengthy diatribe with a ton of detail like I've done in some other threads, the DT40 additive package holds up better for more miles so the viscosity numbers in the UOA are stronger. Also has higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorous to protect the valve train.

Here's a UOA from my wife's car - mine doesn't have enough oil changes to show this kind of lengthy comparison. The Motul blew away the Mobil 1 with the M1 additive package showing significant breakdown in as few as 3,000 miles. Then I switched to Motul and later to the DT40. Here's a comparison between the Motul and the DT40. Viscosity holds up a bit better and the oil gets slightly less acidic.

I can go back further and dig up sheets that had the M1 and Motul together too, but not on my phone.

Oh, and the most important reason - because Jake says so

Good info as always. Thx Pete.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

l knew we were dealing with adhesive wear when l saw the degredation of the anti- wear package. The trend data shows that clearly.
The wear metals that were NOT present told me what was failing. Of course, to do this you have to precisely know the elemental composition of the components within the engine. The oil analyst at Blackstone didn’t know that, and didn’t spot what l did.
So I guess again, what specific wear metal? Because in his UOA nothing really stood out. Zinc was low but not crazy low, same with Molly.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:38 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

So does the increase in aluminum and silicon represent the breakdown of the alusil coating on the cylinder walls and or pistons(not sure if they are coated)?
If so the ? is what is responsible for this? Dissimilar metal piston skirt to wall wear, piston ring wear, non optimal wrist pin offset, non uniform injector spray pattern causing oil wash and lubrication failure, some combination of the preceding? Or something other than the above? Does the lack of appreciable increase in iron tell us the crank,cams bearings are not a culprit? Just spitballing

Last edited by docdrs; 02-06-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 AM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just splitting hairs here, but the entire block on the 9A1 is Alusil. Copied from Wikipedia: "Alusil as a hypereutectic aluminium-silicon alloy (EN AC-AlSi17Cu4Mg / EN AC-48100 or A390) contains approximately 78% aluminium and 17% silicon."
Old 02-06-2019, 12:08 PM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Cylinder scoring for sure. The increase in aluminum along with silicon says everything.
Called it!

Also wish some of the old timers would find another place to play out their feuds! So much bs back and forth about nothing really, just personal opinions.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

If scoring, then as a result of the breakdown of the pistonskirt antiwear coating? Due to lubrication failure, inadequate lubrication, overheating due to lack of cooling, dissimilar metal expansion on warm up? So many ?’s. Is it #6 on the thrust side of the cylinder?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Just got off the phone with Jake and he will have a video for you guys by next week explaining and showing everything so im not even going to go into any details as he will be able to describe and show it better.

Also we have decided to go 4.0 (Stage 2) build which has some forged/billet goodies in there. Thanks to no collateral damage that saved me some money. When i reached out beginning of this month, Jake penciled me in for end of August completion slot and now hes backed up til early spring of 2020!

Planning on visiting Flat 6 shop sometime in the spring time as well

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure