Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Even today, as we read on these boards "exaggerated".... "hyperbole"... blah blah blah. The only real emotion I feel is for a young person stretching to buy his or her first Porsche and have it blow.... It happened a few times on these boards. I spoke to my dealer's shop foreman before I drove Philly to Atlanta about reliability, I had about 46K miles on it at this point... Bill said, "if it lasted 46K, it will last forever".... 1K miles later.. BOOM. You can't make this stuff up.
That bothers me too. First time Porsche buyers come here for guidance and advice, some perhaps before pulling the trigger on what's bordering on what they can afford to begin with. Many know enough to ask about the IMS and many of those who respond here still assure these novices that the IMS on -06 through -08 997's is a complete "non issue". Non-issue to me translates to problem solved which most of us know was not the case until the IMS was eliminated with the 9A1 engine.

No discussion.....the risk of failure was greatly reduced with the larger bearing but I don't think it serves a first time buyer worrying about a $25,000 engine replacement well to assure him it's a "non-issue" on the later 997.1's. Again, the failure rate is minuscule on later 997.1's but the difference between minuscule and non-issue may well make the difference in some buyer's decision to buy or not. Why not tell it like it is? It's close to a non-issue but not a 100% non issue.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:05 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That bothers me too. First time Porsche buyers come here for guidance and advice, some perhaps before pulling the trigger on what's bordering on what they can afford to begin with. Many know enough to ask about the IMS and many of those who respond here still assure these novices that the IMS on -06 through -08 997's is a complete "non issue". Non-issue to me translates to problem solved which most of us know was not the case until the IMS was eliminated with the 9A1 engine.

No discussion.....the risk of failure was greatly reduced with the larger bearing but I don't think it serves a first time buyer worrying about a $25,000 engine replacement well to assure him it's a "non-issue" on the later 997.1's. Again, the failure rate is minuscule on later 997.1's but the difference between minuscule and non-issue may well make the difference in some buyer's decision to buy or not. Why not tell it like it is? It's close to a non-issue but not a 100% non issue.
You could say that about any part on any car made though, things break. That is the whole point. Engine failure on 997.2, non issue? I believe this is a thread that suggests otherwise.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Over-Rev mistaken down ship. Own it.

Theae engines don’t blow up.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:15 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Over-Rev mistaken down ship. Own it.

Theae engines don’t blow up.

Doing all your own over maintenance. All this nonsense of trying to self diagnose as opposed to just having it towed in for diagnosis -which, even as a shade tree mechanic, I’d tow it in.

So what really happened?
Old 02-03-2019, 02:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

You could say that about any part on any car made though, things break. That is the whole point. Engine failure on 997.2, non issue? I believe this is a thread that suggests otherwise.
I don't recall anyone (including myself) saying that engine failures on 997.2's is a non issue. As you say, this thread seems to suggest just the opposite. I recall plenty of people saying that IMS failures on late 997.1's is a non issue though. Two separate issues since the 997.2 doesn't have an IMS. Doesn't mean it can't fail for other reasons though. For what reason, we may learn from this thread eventually.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

Again, the failure rate is minuscule on later 997.1's but the difference between minuscule and non-issue may well make the difference in some buyer's decision to buy or not. Why not tell it like it is? It's close to a non-issue but not a 100% non issue.
Of course this is an accurate statement and how it should be presented vs. the "non-issue" talk tract.

Problem is if a first time buyer is set on owning a 911, the price difference between the 997.2 everyone recommends he purchase and the 997.1 he can probably afford to purchase is $8-$10k, which is about half the cost of the engine replacement that he has a less than 5% chance of needing if he buys a late 05 though 08 car that has the larger bearing, or if he doesn't have a failure, probably 3-4 years worth of upkeep to the car. Someone who is better at probability and statistics than I could run the analysis with price difference vs failure probability and provide for a defacto mathematical answer on statistically which is the right decision to make - buying 997.2 for $10k more or 997.1s for $10k less. Of course, just like investing, everyone has different risk and reward tolerance - some people invest in CDs with a guaranteed rate of return and virtually 0 risk, others in mutual funds that have more risk but also more potential reward, and still others in different investments that have a much higher upside and also a downside.

If you're a CD type guy, and you can afford the .2, buy it and hope you don't have a black-sheep motor that happens to fail. If you're a mutual fund guy, decide whether the reward of finally owning a 997 that's within your budget, with the risk of a 75% loss, is something you can handle, or if it's not. If it's not, buy something else (maybe an Infiniti, Nissan, or Toyota), or completely change the risk model with an early 05 that you can spend a couple grand on to replace the IMS bearing and further reduce the risk of a major failure - keeping the flow of the analogy, that's like buying insurance on your investment - except it's a one-time premium.

Most of us here bought the car we bought for specific reasons - price, risk vs reward, 997.2s not yet available so no choice in the matter, found one that checked all the boxes, rare modified examples that don't ever come up for sale (like in my case), or many other reasons. The .2 guys will always be in the camp of never considering owning a .1, which is why they bought a .2. The .1 guys either aren't that worried about a low-percentage failure, couldn't afford a .2, weren't educated about the differences, or bought for a different reason, but the same information and perspectives keep permeating these threads without any new information, so I'm not sure I see the point of the further discussion, especially in this thread, where the real goal is for us to find out what happened to this particular 9A1 motor, which I believe we will. If Jake wants to add further insight as to how many (or maybe how common) this type of failure is, that's even better. The back and forth between generations just mucks up the real point of the thread. Are a couple statistics of 9A1 motor failures going to start an offload epidemic - I doubt it. Is it going to lead to potentially some new information about how to protect and take care of these particular motors to have a chance and preventing it from happening to your motor - maybe. Could be something as simple as recommending the timing chain tensioners get preventatively replaced every 60,000 miles or some other tidbit from the guy that sees or hears of most of these failures - who knows, and even if so, how many people will follow that advice? We know the recipe for giving the 997.1 the best chance of survival, but how many are still running with the OEM filter canisters, regular temperature thermostats, water pumps with metal impellers, water pumps running until failure, large IMS bearings with the grease seal still installed, original timing chain tensioners, lower quality motor oils, etc - I bet a lot - and then they're upset and disappointed when their engines fail. I feel bad for the uninformed, but all of this information is out there, and in multiple threads, if someone seeks it out, and guys like Jake and Charles frequently chime in here to help reinforce it (thank you guys). People can poo-poo what they say, but no one has seen more of these failed motors than those 2 guys, so ignore or disagree with their recommendations at your own risk, and then don't talk about what a piece of junk the design of a specific motor was because you didn't do what was known to help take care of it..

Stepping off of the

now, and looking forward to the information when available from Jake and Bronz.
The following users liked this post:
Alex Koutin (05-29-2020)
Old 02-03-2019, 03:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I don't recall anyone (including myself) saying that engine failures on 997.2's is a non issue. As you say, this thread seems to suggest just the opposite. I recall plenty of people saying that IMS failures on late 997.1's is a non issue though. Two separate issues since the 997.2 doesn't have an IMS. Doesn't mean it can't fail for other reasons though. For what reason, we may learn from this thread eventually.
Bore scoring and not IMS is my concern and why I shy away from 997.1s. Although there have been reported IMS failures on later .1 models, I agree that number is perhaps low enough to be a non issue. Bore scoring is an entirely different matter and, unlike an IMS, most won’t even realize they have it until it starts getting very bad.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:52 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
Of course this is an accurate statement and how it should be presented vs. the "non-issue" talk tract.

Problem is if a first time buyer is set on owning a 911, the price difference between the 997.2 everyone recommends he purchase and the 997.1 he can probably afford to purchase is $8-$10k, which is about half the cost of the engine replacement that he has a less than 5% chance of needing if he buys a late 05 though 08 car that has the larger bearing, or if he doesn't have a failure, probably 3-4 years worth of upkeep to the car. Someone who is better at probability and statistics than I could run the analysis with price difference vs failure probability and provide for a defacto mathematical answer on statistically which is the right decision to make - buying 997.2 for $10k more or 997.1s for $10k less. Of course, just like investing, everyone has different risk and reward tolerance - some people invest in CDs with a guaranteed rate of return and virtually 0 risk, others in mutual funds that have more risk but also more potential reward, and still others in different investments that have a much higher upside and also a downside.
5%? Bore scoring alone is 12.73% in the above poll for 997.1s and then through in the IMS which I recall also being in the teens before someone combined both 997.1s and 997.2s in the same poll . . . Why the heck did someone add all of the 997.2 no IMS failure votes to the 997.1 no votes when the .2 does not even have an IMS?

Then add to that that many could have no clue they have scoring and will be oblivious to it until it gets bad, that +/- 20% combined IMS and bore scoring number could be in mid to upper 20% range or more.

I learned long ago that purchasing what seemed to be the best deal or trying to save $10k on what seemed to be a better deal can costs a whole lot more down the road when it comes to high end sports cars. The price difference may be explained in large part by those just not wanting to mess with the potential headache and I certainly think the extra $10k is very well spent.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:44 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Because they all need $10-20k engine out services every 20k miles! I mean what Italian brand did you swap to and what are the maintenance intervals?
Lol, where do you get you info/numbers? Internet rumors and gossip?

Had about a dozen V8 Ferraris including 3 Challenge cars, a Diablo 6.0 and 2 Murcis. The Gallardo in my sig is my wife's that she purchased for herself before we met.

I will pick up another 458 when my DB11 comes off lease in a few months. The 12,500 was about $1k and the 37,500 runs about $2k for the 458. Annual fluids +/- $500 depending upon who does them. Majors for the belt cars were about $3.5k (360) to $6K (355) done at 30k miles or 5 years if memory serves me correct. Been a while since I had a belt change.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, where do you get you info/numbers? Internet rumors and gossip?
I will leave this right here, because I think it is about your only worthwhile addition to this thread
Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I will leave this right here, because I think it is about your only worthwhile addition to this thread
? I have been around these cars all my life and generally speak from real world observations and experience.. You are throwing out service intervals that don’t exist and costs that have no basis in reality for the Italians. You seem to be pretty new to the Porsche game as well.

I get that what I say many will take it personally although not intended that way. It’s just a car and I think those new to the game are entitled to hear both sides of the equation to form their own opinions and judgments about what is a best fit for them. I have nothing vested either way.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Hopefully folks who come to the board looking for information will have the wherewithal to recognize that posts from users who joined last month after getting their first 911 don't hold a lot of weight in comparison to folks who have had a lot of these cars and been active in the community for a decade or three. I'm new around here, and am glad to be able to learn a thing or two from some of the elder guys that have more than just an opinion gained from the last few months.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:47 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Hopefully folks who come to the board looking for information will have the wherewithal to recognize that posts from users who joined last month after getting their first 911 don't hold a lot of weight in comparison to folks who have had a lot of these cars and been active in the community for a decade or three. I'm new around here, and am glad to be able to learn a thing or two from some of the elder guys that have more than just an opinion gained from the last few months.
Well said. Unfortunately, some feel they have to defend their stance as being irrefutable which can turn threads into pissing matches and I'm not talking about trolls. I can see where such exchanges could run newbys away due to the snarkiness. These forums are excellent for learning and sharing information. Can't we all just get along?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I really don’t know why so many people are getting all excited about a single engine failure. By any odds, there’s a 100% possibility for an engine failure to occur.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fined
Because I joined in October means I know nothing about this cars? That is a pretty big assumption wouldn’t you say?

My point wasn’t to say Doug or anyone else who has been here a bit doesn’t know what they are talking about. My point was to point out the irony that this is an internet chat board yet somehow everything provided and perspectives some of these threads create about certain cars is more truthful than anywhere else?

I am just not sure how a 997.2 failure results in discussions of bore scoring and IMS issues in the 997.1. That said, I am not surprised by it given the way 95% of these threads end up.

Unfortunately, to me Rennlist is the definition of one of the forums that Doug seems to speak of, the 997 forum in particular.

I am really just interested in knowing what failed on the OPs car, I am not interested in hearing more about bore Scoring and IMS issues in the 997.1, if I wanted to read about that I have my pick of a million other threads, mostly filled with comments from the same 8 people 6 of which own 997.2s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure