997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Old 12-24-2018, 05:11 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Ummm something has gone, but I don't believe that to be the bottom end. I think bearings give you gold looking flakes. And the amount of debris.... I'm still not convinced you have a blown engine.

Do the water pumps have metal impellers?

I'm just throwing darts....
Old 12-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Don't start it, leave it be. Hopefully you have another form of transportation. Time to do your homework about repairing it.

Just wondering, you live in a northern climate. Do you do a lot of winter starting and driving? If so what were your warm up habits?
Old 12-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds strange that piston slap should occur so fast. Don't believe it is. As it's usually accompanied by excessive oil consumption.

I cannot really see metal shavings in the pic but then you should have them also in the magnet in the bottom of the filter housing.

I would definitely look further before going for a full rebuild.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:54 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Lots of tiny metal flakes there. Something is up. As others mentioned, don't start the car again and have it towed to a good Porsche shop. Fingers crossed that it's salvageable.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Doesn’t sound like a grenadine motor to me. Too loud (if that makes any sense) for piston slap and the absence of codes signaling any impending doom. Did you get a fix on where the noise was coming from exactly? +1 on not starting it again to find out though. Get it towed to a good Indy.

Also, what type of Motul did you switch to? My motorcycle mechanic (ex Factory Aprilia team tech) told me Motul is suited to race/track bikes and cars, with very short change intervals. Told me to stay away from it for street driven vehicles with normal change intervals.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:00 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Yuck. Sorry I was hoping it was something simple.

Are those black flecks on your finger? If so I would rule out water pump and go with Wayne's suggestion on the chain tensioner. On the .1 the chain tensioners are a caramel color so any wear results in brownish, black flecks in the filter (Im not sure if the .2 is the same). The metallic flakes in the filter could be from the chain beating itself to death.

If you are comfortable I would drain the oil and drop the oil pan to see if you can find any more debris. Or just flatbed it to your indy after xmas.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:32 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The video sounds like a water pump or pulley to me. I would park it and get an oil analysis before tearing in to anything. If it comes back OK, fire it up for a few seconds without the belt and see if it goes away.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Agree with those who advice not to crank it up again but flatbed it to your dealership or indy of choice for diagnosis. As I've said before, I've yet to read or hear about a complete 997.2 engine failure needing total rebuild or replacement. Not to say it never happened because it hasn't been posted on RL but statistics seem to be on your side. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:40 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Ummm something has gone, but I don't believe that to be the bottom end. I think bearings give you gold looking flakes. And the amount of debris.... I'm still not convinced you have a blown engine.
Do the water pumps have metal impellers?
I'm just throwing darts....
Even if water pump failed internally, pieces of it aren't going to be that small - and they're not going to make their way into the engine oil.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, it's hard to see from pictures what you are seeing. I think you've got to investigate further. I'd get another oil analysis done now while you're evaluating next steps. An engine expert is probably going to recommend dropping the oil pan for further investigation.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz

The car currently has 76k miles.

What are my options? What kind of diagnosis can i do at home? Drain oil and look for shavings? The car doesnt have any faults or check engine on the dash.

What is the cost of new engine? Rebuild? 4.0 build?

Any suggestions on the shop around Chicago area?

Any advice is appreciated.
LN Engineering isn't too far from you.. I don't think they do repairs but are extremely knowledgeable and could recommend reputable local shops. Sometimes they (Charles Navarro) comment on engine related threads here on Rennlist. You may want to PM them and send a link to your video or this thread. He may comment publicly or privately with the OP about the possible failure and repairs needed as well as potential cost.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

We normally do not do repairs or rebuild engines, but from time to time we'll facilitate a rebuild - we can pull the engine but our space to store cars is limited as LN has displaced what used to be customer storage for Bilt Racing Service with our expanded manufacturing and warehousing.

For the DFI cars, we run the rebuilds through RND Engines. Engine gets pulled and sent off, and block comes back to LN for processing. Rebuild cost starts around $15,500 depending on what damage we find. Good thing is we have lots of cores if something is bad.

I'd be curious to see the used oil analysis from this engine.

Have you tracked the car at all or know the prior history?

For sure, with the engine having been making mechanical noises, that I would cease to operate it, so as to prevent any further damage.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:33 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

2009 C2S 130k miles

Thanx for posting Charles, Ummm just curious, why do you have so many cores around? What kind of 997.2 failures do you see.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-25-2018, 03:11 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz

At first it didn’t seem like much metal, just normal random small flakes, but zooming in there is quite a bit there. Also what seems to be black plastic bits? Are you sure the IMS didn’t just fail? Are the particles magnetic?
Old 12-25-2018, 03:17 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 997.2 DFI engine does not have an IMS.

Originally Posted by bgoetz

At first it didn’t seem like much metal, just normal random small flakes, but zooming in there is quite a bit there. Also what seems to be black plastic bits? Are you sure the IMS didn’t just fail? Are the particles magnetic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure