997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This may be way off, but I had a battery go low on me and I thought the engine was running without oil (sounded like hell). It was really just not running on all cylinders. With low voltage not all the coils work.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemessi
His oil filter was full of ferrous metal. How else do you diagnose that etiology? And even if you diagnosed another way teardown is the only way to fix it.
That's right, but so far no shop has seen the car. And teardown to the point where a tech finds the problem doesn't always equal a rebuild. So my point is that the OP isn't going to get a valid diagnosis until the engine is at least partially apart.

The OPs engine is shedding metal. That's bad. But it's clear that no one knows what is wrong with it and no one will know until a tech digs in. Why waste time on conjecture?
The following users liked this post:
Hueneme997 (08-19-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
The OPs engine is shedding metal. That's bad. But it's clear that no one knows what is wrong with it and no one will know until a tech digs in. Why waste time on conjecture?
Wasting time and money on conjecture/diagnostics is exactly why I would go right to teardown. Unless you were making the decision to fix or not further diagnostics won't help in my opinion and just cost more money. It's a beautiful car. No question whether to fix or not. I would go right to teardown if it was mine. Chances are like someone said earlier another tech will want to start it or take for a drive just causing further damage. I think OPs plan is a good one.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

well, best of luck on a low dollar ding getting her back up and running...
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 AM
agentutah
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....so what happened next???
Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

I think I saw the car for sale in the Marketplace.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:35 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Its for sale if anyone wants it but i have also come to an agreement with Jake Raby at Flat Six Innovantions to do a rebuild so unless somebody buys it in the next day or two it will be off to Georgia. Waiting on them to arrange transportation.
Also fedex finally delivered my oil sample to blsckstone. I will post it later as im writing on my phone right now.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Its for sale if anyone wants it but i have also come to an agreement with Jake Raby at Flat Six Innovantions to do a rebuild so unless somebody buys it in the next day or two it will be off to Georgia. Waiting on them to arrange transportation.
Also fedex finally delivered my oil sample to blsckstone. I will post it later as im writing on my phone right now.
Did he tell you what the usual fail is in your situation?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Nice.

Flat six rebuild 30-40k

You sir will have a hell of a nice car when done.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

So it’s off for a five-figure rebuild without an official diagnosis?

Unless I missed something, no one went any deeper into the engine than the oil pan, right?

I still don’t understand this diagnostic method.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-05-2020)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 556 Posts

It's pretty simple. 9A1 engines don't shed debris and with the amount of FOD in the filter and oil, there has to be damage in the engine that won't repair itself. Running the engine any further can lead to more damage and expense or even render the core engine un-salvageable. Used 9A1 engines are pricey.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

I guess my fault for using a term rebuild. Jake spent over an hour with me on the phone talking about different scenarios. Of course we will start with diagnosing the problem and if theres possibility of repairing it for significantly less we will go that route. I just dont want to spend the time towing around the car to a shop to borescope it and then still find out we have internal problem we kind of know that we do. The car is making loud banging noise and shedding metal. I would just rather have a car at a shop that i would want to rebuild my engine because it most likely will need it, instead of having some shop take it apart and then still have to send it out in pieces.

Unless I missed something, no one went any deeper into the engine than the oil pan, right?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 556 Posts

When a customer brings an engine in pieces to a shop, that's bad. We call that a trunk job. You can't ever charge enough for those and usually all the bits are damaged in transport and stuff is missing. What a nightmare!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:10 PM
BigJule
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few months ago my wife's car (Nissan) was making clunky metallic noise, especially when cold, she brought it to transmission shop then another mechanic who both said 99.9% transmission/clutch whatever was shot. I chimed in and said ok let me check the engine oil just so...you know...only to find out there was almost none in there. Filled up, problem fixed and case closed. I mean me neither I don't get it, between the clueless OP swapping parts at random and people "selling" full on engine rebuild it's just insane.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:18 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Do you even comprehend what you just wrote here?

Originally Posted by BigJule
Few months ago my wife's car (Nissan) was making clunky metallic noise, especially when cold, she brought it to transmission shop then another mechanic who both said 99.9% transmission/clutch whatever was shot. I chimed in and said ok let me check the engine oil just so...you know...only to find out there was almost none in there. Filled up, problem fixed and case closed. I mean me neither I don't get it, between the clueless OP swapping parts at random and people "selling" full on engine rebuild it's just insane.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure