997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:27 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
The engine did have a slight ticking sound ever since i bought it with 66k miles. But ive heard that sound on many Porsches and it sounded completely normal to me. This is probably the only video i have of the car and you can kind of hear it before i rev it up.
Sounds normal to me when cold. Mine and others has had a tick like that that improves when warm.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (11-24-2020)
Old 12-26-2018, 03:50 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

It will be interesting to see what the failure is. To me the low flashpoint is a bit telling, maybe on one sample, but two says something is happening. The low flashpoint could be the result of a bad injector or coil that could cause fuel in the oil and rinsing of the bearings. I just wouldn’t expect bearing failure that quickly unless the amount increased dramatically between the last UOA.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:01 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Disagree. Fuel shows trace amount, and oil viscosity held in range over ~4000 miles. Nothing of note there. Bearings are copper, lead and tin; there's nothing there. You're just guessing. Here's what real fuel dilution looks like:

Oil analyses of my former BMW E39 M5. Fuel dilution on BMW M cars is not unheard of. This engine was in excellent condition for age and miles.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 PM
swingwing
Pro

Thanks for all your input guys, really appreciate it. Its hard to say if the black specs are plastic or metal i actually didnt have time to really investigate the day i pulled the filter. I saved everything and will go back to look at it better when i get a chance. My plan is to take an oil sample and send it for analysis and see what they come up with.
What type of metal would come up in analysis if it was cylinder walls, or rod bearings, or the chain eating into the block?
I really really hope i dont need a full on rebuild but if i do I will be reaching out to you Charles and we can discuss some options.
I will keep you guys updated as soon as i find out anything.
Pass a magnet over the particles. If they're iron they'll be picked up and that will give you more information. I'm thinking they won't be, but it's conjecture on my part.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

@Mumbles How much did that run you or was it covered under warranty? Do you know how many labor hours was the job at least? Thank you
Approx 1 hr plus parts. Job came in at dealership around $ 300 can.
The tech was showing some concern until he placed a long screwdriver to tighter the tensioner arm while the engine was running, then the tick, slap went away( well the hightened tick slap noise, now its back to regular ticky noise )
Old 12-26-2018, 09:27 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

So i ran magnet over the particles in the oil filter housing and they all got picked up. The ones we thought were black plastic bits are indeed metal. Thoughts?

997.2 oil metal
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM
swingwing
Pro

This is valuable information, but I know little about the internals of these engines. Some iron sources though are piston rings, connecting rods, wrist pins, timing chains, sprockets, camshafts. I think an engine professional would recommend dropping the oil pan next for further inspection. Just to reiterate - if you send in an oil sample, particles this size are not going to show up in the wear metal readings. They're too big.

Last edited by swingwing; 12-26-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

I suppose the most optimistic view is its from the timing chain. In your first picture with the filter media pulled out, it looks like you have silver (aluminum?) particles. Could be an artifact in the photo. The bright side is its not a lot of metal and you may have caught it before anything catastrophic. There will of course be more in the oil pan.
I read a thread recently about and engine failure then other related problems due to metal particles in the oil cooler. You may want to explore replacing the cooler if/when you reach a satisfactory conclusion. I know its a bit premature to mention this but the poster spent considerable funds only to have major problems because the oil cooler was contaminated. Something to think about when you get to that point.
Also pulling the oil pan wouldn't be the worst idea either. You may get an idea whats going on inside.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The reason the previous engine designs had and IMS was that the long chains would not hold up over time. The newer engines were able to eliminate the IMS because the new chains are reportedly stronger. We shall see, eventually, if they do hold up.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

So i ran magnet over the particles in the oil filter housing and they all got picked up. The ones we thought were black plastic bits are indeed metal. Thoughts?

997.2 oil metal
So did you take the car to a shop yet?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:22 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Have not taken it to a shop yet. Thinking of maybe getting UOA done first. Also one shop i spoke to said theres a possibility of oil pump sprocket coming loose. Anyone seen or heard of that happening?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Have not taken it to a shop yet. Thinking of maybe getting UOA done first. Also one shop i spoke to said theres a possibility of oil pump sprocket coming loose. Anyone seen or heard of that happening?
Youre gonna have to take it in anyway, UOA or not. Just guess work until the shop pulls the pan off and starts getting into the motor.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

But there is a magnet at the bottom of the oil filter housing or am I wrong? Shouldn't metal particles gather there?
Old 12-27-2018, 06:40 PM
swingwing
Pro

Looking at parts diagram I see no magnet on the oil filter housing. I'm using an aftermarket oil drain plug that has a magnet in it.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:32 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This doesn't answer the issue with the metal particles, but this is what my 2nd water pump sounded like when it went bad. 997.1 3.6.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure