Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

High pressure direct injection fuel injectors occasionally fail. Been happening on the diesel engine front for years. To make any conclusions about fuel additives or lack of is impossible. I can't imagine these fuel injection cleaners are any harder on seals than ethanol gas.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Like i said i might be wrong just throwing it out there to add another piece to the puzzle
Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,768 Likes on 4,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Thanx for this..... I add a bottle of Techron every once in a while in the belief it will clear the injectors. So here is the rub: All "good" gas such as Exxon, Shell, Chevron, use additive packages to "clean" your engine.. that is how they differentiate themselves in the market and justify their higher price over the cheap gas stations. Techron in a bottle is what Chevron already has in it at the pump so my little brain thinks it is an OK additive. So.... let me put this bluntly..... YIKES!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I use a bottle of Techron in the last full tank before an oil change in all my vehicles. I do it right before the change so that anything it cleans or releases that's trapped by the oil (carbon deposits) will not be in the oil for any longer than necessary.

In all the Porsche fuel injected cars (both 997s and the Cayenne) I also use Stabil 360 with each tank as I never know how long one may sit and not get driven - could be a few days or a few weeks and the same tank of gas could be in a car for 3 months. I've had fuel go stale in this amount of time resulting in performance issues that were resolved just by filling the tank once the old gas was burned up.

In the 914 I use Driven Carb Defender as it has dual Dellorto Carbs. In the 928 I use SeaFoam to keep the mechanical fuel distributor lubricated - it's a '79 K-Jet car.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 820 Posts

I was looking forward to the injector test results, but now the car's history obfuscates things ...

Believing in (built in) additives, I use Chevron first, Shell second, and 76 third. Going far enough northeast out of the Bay Area (Montana, etc.) that turns into Sinclair. But I haven't supplemented.

Also very sensitive to warm up period and mine has always been a warmer climate car.

So far so good at 120K miles.

Just a thought ... even in comfort (non Sport) mode the PDK kicks down immediately increasing rpms. I suspect this protects against detonation (LSPI) pretty well. I might argue that the Manual Transmission (in the wrong hands) offers a higher possibility for this problem.

And definitely thanks to Jake, Baz, Charles, and everyone else who has shared valuable thoughts. Looking forward to conclusions, realizing these may be modified in time.

Hang in there Bronz. You'll soon have an amazing forever motor in an amazing car
Old 02-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Lots of quality reading here and interesting considerations. Thanks for the detailed rundown Baz
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Lots of quality reading here and interesting considerations. Thanks for the detailed rundown Baz
Agreed except I want to thank Jake as well. Definitely a lot of nice info in this thread. I haven't been as hands on in my Porsche as much as other cars but at the same time, I haven't needed to be. Great to have knowledgable members posting valid theories and thoughts in what has occurred
Old 02-28-2019, 02:53 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

There are many good products and I used Driven Injector Defender. Also replaced my injectors.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:46 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a few questions that result from reading this thread so far:
  1. The OP stated "2 blackstone oil analysis, which came back excellent" and then he drove 1,500 to 2,000 miles after an oil change and then experienced this failure, Does that mean a bore scoring failure is not likely to be detected early with oil analysis?
  2. What are some common signs of pending or current fuel injector failures (direct injection) and should we be doing any preventative maintenance such as regular use of fuel additives or even replacing all injectors every X-miles or N-years?

Trying not to obsess over this very unlikely problem but knowledge is power. :-)

Jeff
Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

A solution to all this.....get an EV.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
I have a few questions that result from reading this thread so far:
  1. The OP stated "2 blackstone oil analysis, which came back excellent" and then he drove 1,500 to 2,000 miles after an oil change and then experienced this failure, Does that mean a bore scoring failure is not likely to be detected early with oil analysis?
  2. What are some common signs of pending or current fuel injector failures (direct injection) and should we be doing any preventative maintenance such as regular use of fuel additives or even replacing all injectors every X-miles or N-years?

Trying not to obsess over this very unlikely problem but knowledge is power. :-)

Jeff
Jeff,

I cannot make any generalizations based on my experience. However, I did an elective reconstruction and had an extensive oil analysis history from Blackstone. Blackstone gave me a clean bill of health based on my samples but when my engine was opened I had scoring on one side. Unfortunately for me oil analysis did not provide an early warning.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
A solution to all this.....get an EV.
Then be prepared for total electric motor, or motor control, or battery, or battery control, or battery heat management total failure. The bill will not be small. A Tesla battery may cost upwards of $60k... and of course with an EV total road freedom (go anywhere, anytime, cold or hot) is a pipe dream.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Jeff,

I cannot make any generalizations based on my experience. However, I did an elective reconstruction and had an extensive oil analysis history from Blackstone. Blackstone gave me a clean bill of health based on my samples but when my engine was opened I had scoring on one side. Unfortunately for me oil analysis did not provide an early warning.
Thanks JW. That is good information to know. I am also considering an elective 4.0 build for my car. I will PM you so we can chat about your experience. I am also in the DC area.

Jeff
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

On a side note, does Jake have a dyno, access to a dyno or has anyone who purchased a 4.0 dyno'd his car after the installation? I am very curious about the increase in power and torque with the conversion.

Just thinking long-term about my own car. The longer I drive it, the more I love it.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:52 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes hes got 3 dynos in house if i remember correctly. My car will be dyno tuned. You guys will definitely be seeing alot of videos and sound clips of the car

Originally Posted by Iceter
On a side note, does Jake have a dyno, access to a dyno or has anyone who purchased a 4.0 dyno'd his car after the installation? I am very curious about the increase in power and torque with the conversion.

Just thinking long-term about my own car. The longer I drive it, the more I love it.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
Thanks JW. That is good information to know. I am also considering an elective 4.0 build for my car. I will PM you so we can chat about your experience. I am also in the DC area.

Jeff
Depending on the age and mileage of you car, this may not be cost effective as an elective option. But, in bronz's case he has been handed lemons, so might as well make lemonade.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure