Sponsored by:

New member Bay Area looking for a 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:34 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions.

So, some updates. We have a 6 month old, and I hadn't fully investigated if a rear-facing car seat would fit in the back of this gen, or if it has the latch points (it doesn't apparently on both counts). The Targa offers even less room, and especially so for front facing in rear seats which my daughter would need as she gets above 2 so that takes it completely out of the running.

Therefore, I have some decisions to make. I may hold on getting a 997 or 991 until she's 2 as I really wanted to be able to take she and my wife with me for drives. Or I may continue the search but shift to 991 as it at least has actual latch points in the back. Some of the things people on here have done to make car seats work are not going to make myself or my wife comfortable when it comes to the baby's safety.

Decisions...
Old 12-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Buy a Panamera Turbo 2011-2013 models can be had for 50-60k. If the older models had three across rear seating, as is an option on the 2018, I probably would have gone with a used Panamera Turbo.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Buy a Panamera Turbo 2011-2013 models can be had for 50-60k. If the older models had three across rear seating, as is an option on the 2018, I probably would have gone with a used Panamera Turbo.
Ha, you aren't the first person to suggest that to me...

I have a car that can do family duty already, a Volvo XC60 with Polestar optimization and Heico suspension upgrades which is a great sleeper and pretty quick. I'm looking for something that will be more of a weekend car, but not always me by myself on the weekends

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah once they are forward facing it's great!
Old 12-31-2018, 10:18 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Originally Posted by manuelfangioG
Ha, you aren't the first person to suggest that to me...

I have a car that can do family duty already, a Volvo XC60 with Polestar optimization and Heico suspension upgrades which is a great sleeper and pretty quick. I'm looking for something that will be more of a weekend car, but not always me by myself on the weekends
Turbo, shmurbo…..

Naturally aspirated GTS is the way to go! Ok, I may have a bit of a bias since 1) I currently have a '13 Panamera GTS, 2) I enjoy the N/A sounds and experience, 3) I'm doing a similar search for a 997 as yourself....and the Pan will be part of the deal. That '09 posted above that's here on the forum would be just about perfect, except I'm looking for a manual. Like Astraelraen mentioned, the hunt for just the right car can take months. I think I spent close to 8 months looking for my GTS and found it a couple of states away.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:46 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
Turbo, shmurbo…..

Naturally aspirated GTS is the way to go! Ok, I may have a bit of a bias since 1) I currently have a '13 Panamera GTS, 2) I enjoy the N/A sounds and experience, 3) I'm doing a similar search for a 997 as yourself....and the Pan will be part of the deal. That '09 posted above that's here on the forum would be just about perfect, except I'm looking for a manual. Like Astraelraen mentioned, the hunt for just the right car can take months. I think I spent close to 8 months looking for my GTS and found it a couple of states away.
Says the man who has turbo in his name

Yeah, the hunt could take longer for sure. I have been in communication with the guy in Orlando on here who is selling his 2012.5 Carrera S in Agate with red leather. Considering that one fairly seriously and price seems reasonable, but will require a fair amount of effort in terms of getting money in escrow, arranging transpo from FL to CA, etc. That one is calling to me a bit...

Old 12-31-2018, 10:47 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SF911TT
yeah once they are forward facing it's great!
That's what I'm hoping! Judging by your SN, you are also Bay Area based? If so, do you go on any weekend runs with other owners, etc,? Definitely looking to do that when I find my ride.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:08 AM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by manuelfangioG
Says the man who has turbo in his name

Yeah, the hunt could take longer for sure. I have been in communication with the guy in Orlando on here who is selling his 2012.5 Carrera S in Agate with red leather. Considering that one fairly seriously and price seems reasonable, but will require a fair amount of effort in terms of getting money in escrow, arranging transpo from FL to CA, etc. That one is calling to me a bit...
Haha! Good point about the screen name, but in this case it is in reference to the fact that I have/had some very fast ex-racing Greyhounds who very much move like they have turbos attached to them!

All the best to you on your searches! It can be both fun and a little tiresome after a while
Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

So I think I've found a Carrera S being sold by private party I like that's on the other coast. I was able to get a PPI done (all clear) and go drive it in person but it's too far to drive back myself.

It ended up being a 991.1 sorry to offend in here

While I've done some research around getting the car shipped out to CA, I'm a bit fuzzy even after reading some threads around this topic, on the best way to handle funds and title transfer if not in-person. I'm not planning on flying back to be there in person, so I don't want to wire funds in advance of the car reaching me as it's not a dealership. I was thinking about using an Escrow service which would only release the funds once the car arrived here.

Any guidance or advice? Per previous suggestions, I'm comfortable with the seller, and know enough about who he is so not concerned about this being a scam, etc.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 AM
35chaser
3rd Gear

Hi, I know you found yourself a 991.1, I'm just throwing it out there in case you are still in the market for a 997.1. I have a 2008 997.1 auto for sale with only 5k miles on it. Message me for more info if interested. Good luck on the purchase =)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 AM
ill250
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Theres not really a safe way of handling the transaction unless you do it in person. The process that I went through when I purchased my 911 from a private party out of state was first, thoroughly check the car, check the paperwork and get a PPI which you already done.

Now for the funds, you can use an escrow service but I decided to get a cashier’s check from my bank and sent it via certified mail. Only do this if you feel comfortable with the seller and you know he won’t scam you otherwise once the seller cash’s your check and doesn’t deliver your car, you’ll be out of your money.

While the money was being sent, I started shopping for quotes on car shipping companies and set up a date to pick up the car. Usually they will find a driver within a week depending on the shipping company. Once the seller received the check, he sent the title. Make sure the seller sends you the title and not put it in the car while being transported.

It took about a week for my car arrive from the east coast to San Francisco. If you haven’t, set up an appt with the DMV unless you like waiting. Depending on the year of your car, you may or may not need to smog check. You’ll need to fill out a DMV registration form 343. When you arrive at the DMV, you’ll be required to have a DMV person inspect the car first. Once that’s done, head inside with your documents (title and registration form 343) and do your title transfer. It took me 10mins in and out with an appt.

Goodluck on the purchase!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:35 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ill250
Theres not really a safe way of handling the transaction unless you do it in person. The process that I went through when I purchased my 911 from a private party out of state was first, thoroughly check the car, check the paperwork and get a PPI which you already done.

Now for the funds, you can use an escrow service but I decided to get a cashier’s check from my bank and sent it via certified mail. Only do this if you feel comfortable with the seller and you know he won’t scam you otherwise once the seller cash’s your check and doesn’t deliver your car, you’ll be out of your money.

While the money was being sent, I started shopping for quotes on car shipping companies and set up a date to pick up the car. Usually they will find a driver within a week depending on the shipping company. Once the seller received the check, he sent the title. Make sure the seller sends you the title and not put it in the car while being transported.

It took about a week for my car arrive from the east coast to San Francisco. If you haven’t, set up an appt with the DMV unless you like waiting. Depending on the year of your car, you may or may not need to smog check. You’ll need to fill out a DMV registration form 343. When you arrive at the DMV, you’ll be required to have a DMV person inspect the car first. Once that’s done, head inside with your documents (title and registration form 343) and do your title transfer. It took me 10mins in and out with an appt.

Goodluck on the purchase!
Thanks for the advice, and good call on local DMV appoints as I'm in SF/Bay area as well.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

So quick update. I am officially an owner of a 991.1 Carrera S!

It will be picked up on the East Coast at the end of this week, and hopefully be out here within 8 days. Thanks to everyone who offered advice on 997 options, and doing an out of state transaction. I hope you guys will still be up for some local Bay area drives/meets even if I ended up with a different gen.

Quick Reply: New member Bay Area looking for a 997