Sponsored by:

New member Bay Area looking for a 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sounds like you're set on a 997.2 with PDK, like the wide body and don't care for AWD so a 2011 or 2012 997 GTS would check all your boxes as long as it's within your budget. Not a lot of them for sale but it seems like a good fit for you. I had identical preferences to yours last time I was searching and ended up with a 2011 GTS. Only 997.2 with wide body and rear wheel drive except for the GT3 RS and the the GT2, both in a completely different price zone than the GTS. Since you're mentioning the 991, I'm guessing a 997 GTS would be within reach budget wise. Just a matter of finding a good one. Not many made and those who have them (myself included) are holding on to them.
Thanks for the POV. Yes, I've narrowed down to 997.2 PDK, and likely RWD, unless I do 991.1 PDK. Not sure the GTS is for me, as I'm not a fan of Alcantara on the seats but want to drive one to see how it feels relative to other 997.2s I've driven.

Looks like the 991 deal I was exploring fell through, so maybe this is a sign that I should stick with the 997 search? The 2010 Targa 4S is still available in Seattle but it's black (not first choice) they're asking what I think is too much money, and if this is a long-term car for me, I worry a bit about the reliability of the Targa top over the next 5-10 years. I think if I could get it at a more reasonable price I'd more strongly consider it. Espedcially since Seattle is a hell of a lot closer to SF than some of the other cars I'm considering...
Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Ok, found a local one and curious to get some thoughts from you guys. Test drove it today...

https://www.walnutcreek.porschedeale...faed993569.htm

2012 997.2 C2S, Carrera White with standard black leather. 69K miles, bought at this dealer, and serviced as well based on the records that I was provided. Not all of the options that I wanted, but a good amount. White wasn't a color I initially was considering, but it looked pretty sharp, prob. even more so if I put black stone guards on.

Asking is currently $58K which feels high. That being said, it's recently had a bunch of scheduled service done based on the records so money was spent.

Thoughts??
Old 12-27-2018, 08:07 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Love those wheels but thats waaaaaay high for those miles. For that price you can get a car with <40k miles.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Love those wheels but thats waaaaaay high for those miles. For that price you can get a car with <40k miles.
Yeah that's my feeling too. They seem open to offers, but not sure an offer I would give would be considered. When you say you can get a car with <40K miles, are you thinking .2, or .1?

Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche dealer will always ask a premium. They are probably asking more for the model year as its newer vs a 2009/2010.

Keep in mind, service history goes a long way. You may find a similar car for less up front with no/poor service records and have to pay out for service. 6 year/60k miles is the PDK service, it's a $750 or so service at the dealer. I would also document that spark plugs, serpentine belt and brake fluid has been changed if you want to go by Porsche's schedule.

All that said, I would have a hard time paying more than 50k or so for that assuming all service is done.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:43 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Porsche dealer will always ask a premium. They are probably asking more for the model year as its newer vs a 2009/2010.

Keep in mind, service history goes a long way. You may find a similar car for less up front with no/poor service records and have to pay out for service. 6 year/60k miles is the PDK service, it's a $750 or so service at the dealer. I would also document that spark plugs, serpentine belt and brake fluid has been changed if you want to go by Porsche's schedule.

All that said, I would have a hard time paying more than 50k or so for that assuming all service is done.
Service is all done, records show it. That said, I agree that I'd struggle to justify more than about $51K for this car. Meanwhile, what say you on the Targa 4S I was originally considering, as that's $68K!

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-car...BB2A93AS733080

Did you try out C2S and C4S? If so, how do you feel about the whole "4S is too heavy to offer the true Porsche experience" line of thinking.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by manuelfangioG
Ok, found a local one and curious to get some thoughts from you guys. Test drove it today...

https://www.walnutcreek.porschedeale...faed993569.htm

2012 997.2 C2S, Carrera White with standard black leather. 69K miles, bought at this dealer, and serviced as well based on the records that I was provided. Not all of the options that I wanted, but a good amount. White wasn't a color I initially was considering, but it looked pretty sharp, prob. even more so if I put black stone guards on.

Asking is currently $58K which feels high. That being said, it's recently had a bunch of scheduled service done based on the records so money was spent.

Thoughts??
That’s a sharp looking car. 69k miles is around 11k miles a year so not bad. Regularly driven which is good. Maybe offer $50k and see. Worst they can say is no.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Keep in mind that this isn't the busiest time of year for these cars. Seems like more things pop up in spring.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:15 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Keep in mind that this isn't the busiest time of year for these cars. Seems like more things pop up in spring.
Fair point. I found one car that has since sold for sale in Illinois. I was trying to figure out how I'd properly test drive a 911 on summer tires when there's snow on the ground. Would be great to find something sooner than later, but will need to be the right fit for me so that may take more time and more available options to consider.

Still thinking about the Targa 4S but just can't see paying close to $68K for that car...
Old 12-27-2018, 11:25 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Yeah that's my feeling too. They seem open to offers, but not sure an offer I would give would be considered. When you say you can get a car with <40K miles, are you thinking .2, or .1?
You can definitely find a .2 C2S with ~40k miles for that price. A .1 C2S with ~40k miles would be ~$15k less.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Fair point. I found one car that has since sold for sale in Illinois. I was trying to figure out how I'd properly test drive a 911 on summer tires when there's snow on the ground. Would be great to find something sooner than later, but will need to be the right fit for me so that may take more time and more available options to consider.

Still thinking about the Targa 4S but just can't see paying close to $68K for that car...
The Targa's are simply rarer vehicles and appeal to a different subset of 911 owners. The answer to the question of whether they are worth the premium is up to the buyer. That one at Park Place has been listed for 1.5 months according to CarGurus and there have been no price changes. Offer them about 60-62k for it and see if they bite? 62k would be about 50% of original MSRP, which is pretty average for what I've seen Porsche 911's listed for that are in the 2009/2010 model year range. That would be a pretty reasonable deal for a Targa4S in good condition with those miles.

You asked about 4S vs S in a prior comment. I don't know that the 4S dilutes the Porsche driving experience, but it is different. Without inclement weather it is very difficult to break the rear tires loose on a 4S. You could probably say it understeers at the limit somewhat, but applying more throttle helps in that regard. There have been many articles on the Targa (Panorama had a good one back in 2014 or so when the 991 Targa was released) Porsche has done many customer studies and found that Targa owners are generally more likely to use their vehicles year-round and thus the AWD option was the only option made available.

Keep in mind, your Porsche hunt may take you 6 months, these aren't common cars in some configurations, especially if you are looking for a specific list of options/colors.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:49 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
The Targa's are simply rarer vehicles and appeal to a different subset of 911 owners. The answer to the question of whether they are worth the premium is up to the buyer. That one at Park Place has been listed for 1.5 months according to CarGurus and there have been no price changes. Offer them about 60-62k for it and see if they bite? 62k would be about 50% of original MSRP, which is pretty average for what I've seen Porsche 911's listed for that are in the 2009/2010 model year range. That would be a pretty reasonable deal for a Targa4S in good condition with those miles.

You asked about 4S vs S in a prior comment. I don't know that the 4S dilutes the Porsche driving experience, but it is different. Without inclement weather it is very difficult to break the rear tires loose on a 4S. You could probably say it understeers at the limit somewhat, but applying more throttle helps in that regard. There have been many articles on the Targa (Panorama had a good one back in 2014 or so when the 991 Targa was released) Porsche has done many customer studies and found that Targa owners are generally more likely to use their vehicles year-round and thus the AWD option was the only option made available.

Keep in mind, your Porsche hunt may take you 6 months, these aren't common cars in some configurations, especially if you are looking for a specific list of options/colors.
Thanks for your POV and interesting to hear about the use cases for Targa owners. I'm recently Ex-East Coast, and I know everyone is telling me don't do AWD in Nor Cal, but I like the look and practicality of the Targa. We'll see...

Old 12-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

This car is a screaming deal in my opinion

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1121233

Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Thanks for the POV. Yes, I've narrowed down to 997.2 PDK, and likely RWD, unless I do 991.1 PDK. Not sure the GTS is for me, as I'm not a fan of Alcantara on the seats but want to drive one to see how it feels relative to other 997.2s I've driven.

Looks like the 991 deal I was exploring fell through, so maybe this is a sign that I should stick with the 997 search? The 2010 Targa 4S is still available in Seattle but it's black (not first choice) they're asking what I think is too much money, and if this is a long-term car for me, I worry a bit about the reliability of the Targa top over the next 5-10 years. I think if I could get it at a more reasonable price I'd more strongly consider it. Espedcially since Seattle is a hell of a lot closer to SF than some of the other cars I'm considering...
Understood. Only reason I brought up the GTS is that you had a preference for a 997.2, PDK wide body and RWD. Only three options available to get that. The GTS, GT3 RS and the GT2. And again, the latter two puts you at a whole different price point. Just my opinion but if you like the wide body and want the PDK, don't rule out the C4 or C4S. I loved my -09 C4S. The feedback from the steering wheel with AWD is a little numb compared to RWD but nothing dramatic that would keep me from buying another one.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:17 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Came across another 997.2 Targa 4S. Not sure if it's the color combo you like but price is attractive.

http://www.autonation.com/cars/WP0BB29979S733129

2009, PDK, 37k miles.
No accident but it does have a damage reported.

Quick Reply: New member Bay Area looking for a 997