Sponsored by:

New member Bay Area looking for a 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:42 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitora
I have a gorgeous 2006 Seal Grey Carrera S that I am selling within the next 6 weeks, but it is a rear wheel drive with a 6 speed manual transmission, so it probably isn't what you are looking for.

Happy hunting. There are not many to chose from here in the bay area. I bought mine in Florida and had it shipped here.
Seal Grey is a beautiful color, but yeah manual is a no go for my search.

I'm starting to believe that the one for me is not going to be an easy drive away...
Old 12-25-2018, 11:47 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

If not interested in a manual most people will steer you to a 997.2 as a newer PDK transmission replaced the Tiptronic. Most people says its vastly improved. I would drive them both and make a decision. Having owned a 997.1 and 997.2, I would recommend the 997.2 (2009 to 2012). The interior is updated to be more modern, LED exterior lighting, engine without IMS issue, PDK transmission and if you want more comforts including heated steering wheel, bluetooth phone connection, iPOD hookup with easy streaming from your phone, ventilated seats, etc.

Plus the 997.2 made more horsepower in their respective iterations.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:50 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kellen
If not interested in a manual most people will steer you to a 997.2 as a newer PDK transmission replaced the Tiptronic. Most people says its vastly improved. I would drive them both and make a decision. Having owned a 997.1 and 997.2, I would recommend the 997.2 (2009 to 2012). The interior is updated to be more modern, LED exterior lighting, engine without IMS issue, PDK transmission and if you want more comforts including heated steering wheel, bluetooth phone connection, iPOD hookup with easy streaming from your phone, ventilated seats, etc.

Plus the 997.2 made more horsepower in their respective iterations.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks!

Yup, I'm there already Focused on .2 for sure at this point. I think it's worth the extra cash (within reason).

I see you're in Seattle, any POV on the dealer Park Place LTD in Bellevue? They have a Targa 4S I'm considering but now weighing the whole AWD vs. RWD question since I'm not in an area where I need AWD...

Old 12-25-2018, 01:23 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by manuelfangioG
Thanks!

Yup, I'm there already Focused on .2 for sure at this point. I think it's worth the extra cash (within reason).

I see you're in Seattle, any POV on the dealer Park Place LTD in Bellevue? They have a Targa 4S I'm considering but now weighing the whole AWD vs. RWD question since I'm not in an area where I need AWD...
Park Place is a very reputable dealer. I consigned and sold a previous 911 with them and was very pleased. They are a class act and their cars are generally in pristine condition, although they ask and pretty much get top dollar. They move a lot of high-end vehicles, and they also own the authorized Aston Martin and Lotus franchises for the Seattle area. Let me know if you want me to look at the Targa for you as Park Place is very close to my home.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:46 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blakecam
Park Place is a very reputable dealer. I consigned and sold a previous 911 with them and was very pleased. They are a class act and their cars are generally in pristine condition, although they ask and pretty much get top dollar. They move a lot of high-end vehicles, and they also own the authorized Aston Martin and Lotus franchises for the Seattle area. Let me know if you want me to look at the Targa for you as Park Place is very close to my home.
Thanks. I've read some mixed reviews, but you never know what's behind that so it's helpful to hear additional POV.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:30 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanks!

They seem to carry clean cars and have a good reputation from my research, but the prices are on the high side. Maybe due to the wealth in the area?

Happy to do a “rennfax” and stop by to look / test out one of the vehicles.

Would love a targa!
Old 12-25-2018, 03:38 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kellen

They seem to carry clean cars and have a good reputation from my research, but the prices are on the high side. Maybe due to the wealth in the area?

Happy to do a “rennfax” and stop by to look / test out one of the vehicles.

Would love a targa!
Thanks, I have a buddy lined up who's local to check it out for me but if that falls through, much appreciated!

Yeah, their prices do seem a bit high. Most everything is on consignment.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

If you "have to" have a Targa your list of candidates is small if you limit yourself to 997.2 models. There just weren't that many made. They are priced higher as well. If you don't want a black car, it's even more limited in the Targa models.

I looked for nearly 6 months within 500 miles, daily searches, and found less than 10 for sale.

I found one at the Porsche dealer in Burlingame by chance in early October. It's black, not my favorite but the price was right and given my local winter weather I was running out of time to purchase before having to wait until next spring due to weather. I put a deposit on it within an hour of it being listed for sale unseen and did some due diligence over the next few days. Once I flew in to complete the sale a few days later the salesman said they had 5-10 interested buyers in the first day.

If you buy from a dealer you will likely get little history
Old 12-25-2018, 05:49 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
If you "have to" have a Targa your list of candidates is small if you limit yourself to 997.2 models. There just weren't that many made. They are priced higher as well. If you don't want a black car, it's even more limited in the Targa models.

I looked for nearly 6 months within 500 miles, daily searches, and found less than 10 for sale.

I found one at the Porsche dealer in Burlingame by chance in early October. It's black, not my favorite but the price was right and given my local winter weather I was running out of time to purchase before having to wait until next spring due to weather. I put a deposit on it within an hour of it being listed for sale unseen and did some due diligence over the next few days. Once I flew in to complete the sale a few days later the salesman said they had 5-10 interested buyers in the first day.

If you buy from a dealer you will likely get little history
Interesting that you found one in the Bay. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay, what was condition, miles etc.? I wonder why so many 997.2 Targas were made in Black? My thought is that the black sets off the aluminum trim line nicely. While not my first choice, I would still seriously consider black in the Targa model for that reason but not the Carrera.

How do you like it so far? Would you do Targa again if you had the opportunity? Any things you don't like so far that are specific to the Targa?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting that you found one in the Bay. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay, what was condition, miles etc.? I wonder why so many 997.2 Targas were made in Black? My thought is that the black sets off the aluminum trim line nicely. While not my first choice, I would still seriously consider black in the Targa model for that reason but not the Carrera.

How do you like it so far? Would you do Targa again if you had the opportunity? Any things you don't like so far that are specific to the Targa?

Thanks!
This is my first 911. I wanted the Targa model. The only real downside vs a Carrera S that I see are additional weight, potential rattles in colder temps (below 35) and rearward visability with the top open is abysmal.

It is a one owner 33xxx miles fairly loaded 2010 Targa 4S model (124k original MSRP) It had damage reported in 2012 hence the somewhat low(er) price

I paid 58k + had to do about 4k in service for undocumented major services I couldn't find records for that I wanted completed for peace of mind. The dealer had no records for prior service but I called every Porsche dealer in the Bay area and pieced together that it had regular oil changes.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Hearing the siren song of a 991 that I've found in colors I like, and options as well. Trying to decide if I should stick with the 997 search or seriously consider the 991. I know there are endless debates on which is better, so not looking for that but curious if any of you guys went through a similar dilemma.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 PM
shortline tom
1st Gear

I have a 6 speed, 2005 Carrera S, Launch Edition in “stellar condition.” Its not listed for sale, at this time, but if you’re interested we could talk.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:35 AM
manuelfangioG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shortline tom
I have a 6 speed, 2005 Carrera S, Launch Edition in “stellar condition.” Its not listed for sale, at this time, but if you’re interested we could talk.
Thanks for the offer but focused on 997.2 and PDK if I head in the 997 direction.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:33 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Hearing the siren song of a 991 that I've found in colors I like, and options as well. Trying to decide if I should stick with the 997 search or seriously consider the 991. I know there are endless debates on which is better, so not looking for that but curious if any of you guys went through a similar dilemma.

I never had that dilemma and don't understand it. You get test drives and spend as much time as possible in the cars, that will tell you which one you like more. I test drove 3 991.1 cars and the two 997.2 cars I tried fit what I was after better even though the costs (997 GTS vs 991.1 S) at the time were similar. Driving the cars should settle it once and for all, even if it takes driving several 991 and several 997. You may be able to get an extended test drive to take one home for a weekend and get a feel for living with it. I was able to do that.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Thanks for the welcome.

Not willing to have anything, just open to to some different permutations. Not open to cabs, tan or beige interiors and some other things

Initially I started thinking it would just be a .1 and cheaper as it's going to be more of a weekend ride. Then I started thinking a bit more about longer term as I'd like to hold on to whatever I find for a bit and shifted to .2 as well which is where I'm leaning.. I've driven a few PDK .2s but haven't driven a Tip yet.

I like the wider look of the 4S, and look/versatility of the Targa, but agree that AWD isn't really necessary and an S might fit the bill. Trying to be somewhat flexible doesn't seem like finding a perfect fit is going to be easy.

What's your 997 like?
Sounds like you're set on a 997.2 with PDK, like the wide body and don't care for AWD so a 2011 or 2012 997 GTS would check all your boxes as long as it's within your budget. Not a lot of them for sale but it seems like a good fit for you. I had identical preferences to yours last time I was searching and ended up with a 2011 GTS. Only 997.2 with wide body and rear wheel drive except for the GT3 RS and the the GT2, both in a completely different price zone than the GTS. Since you're mentioning the 991, I'm guessing a 997 GTS would be within reach budget wise. Just a matter of finding a good one. Not many made and those who have them (myself included) are holding on to them.

Quick Reply: New member Bay Area looking for a 997