Potential trade value

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Potential trade value

question for the collective group:

I have an 08 c4s with a few mods (gt3 rear bumper, center stacked exhaust, 200 cel cats, turbo style deck wing and HRE wheels brand new 4s tires) and fully understand the mods will not add value however with a wife pushing for car consolidation I was debating trading it for a tax credit with my cayenne to get a newer cayenne turbo. The question I have is how much of a lowball am I going to get from a dealer for those of you that may have traded in your 997. I have bought and sold 30 plus cars at this point so I fully understand time of year, dealer vs private party etc but with the uniqueness of our cars these days I am just fearing getting the “kbb cash now” offer and getting frustrated. For those that have traded in feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I think you have a good idea of what is going to happen. The dealer is going to low ball you and the mods you have on it might force their hand to wholesale it rather than try to retail it.

You need to determine what effort you want to put into selling your 2008. Trading in the car is very easy. But there is a cost. If you have the original parts, I would reinstall them and sell the mods and the car might be valued higher by the dealer with the original parts.

Assuming you get the sales tax advantage of trading it in, the pain will be a bit less.

To manage the frustration of getting a low number, just think about the new Cayenne Turbo that will be in your garage.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 AM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not trying to sell it in the forum? price it a tad higher than dealer for a quick sale. Sounds like a nice car with tasteful mods. If you don't want to post it, send me a PM with details. I'm in the market for a 911
Old 12-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I think you have a good idea of what is going to happen. The dealer is going to low ball you and the mods you have on it might force their hand to wholesale it rather than try to retail it.

You need to determine what effort you want to put into selling your 2008. Trading in the car is very easy. But there is a cost. If you have the original parts, I would reinstall them and sell the mods and the car might be valued higher by the dealer with the original parts.

Assuming you get the sales tax advantage of trading it in, the pain will be a bit less.

To manage the frustration of getting a low number, just think about the new Cayenne Turbo that will be in your garage.
Originally Posted by IMPorsche
Why not trying to sell it in the forum? price it a tad higher than dealer for a quick sale. Sounds like a nice car with tasteful mods. If you don't want to post it, send me a PM with details. I'm in the market for a 911
my laziness and feet dragging to sell called out immediately haha thanks fellas!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Trade in the wife for a new model
Old 12-22-2018, 10:33 AM
wely324
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Trade in the wife for a new model
omg, post of the day!
Old 12-22-2018, 11:41 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams911

I have an 08 c4s with a few mods (gt3 rear bumper, center stacked exhaust, 200 cel cats, turbo style deck wing and HRE wheels brand new 4s tires) and fully understand the mods will not add value however with a wife pushing for car consolidation I was debating trading it for a tax credit with my cayenne to get a newer cayenne turbo. The question I have is how much of a lowball am I going to get from a dealer for those of you that may have traded in your 997. I have bought and sold 30 plus cars at this point so I fully understand time of year, dealer vs private party etc but with the uniqueness of our cars these days I am just fearing getting the “kbb cash now” offer and getting frustrated. For those that have traded in feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Hams, You're not alone. This is a pretty common problem among the ladies. They will never understand our love for machines and we will never understand their needs for 200+ pairs of shoes and closets full of "nothing to wear". I could buy another Porsche if I had the money my wife spent on her current shoe collection! I'm telling you something, you sell that nice 08 C4S, and you'll regret the day that thing left the driveway. Think about it... it's a man's therapy and better than a shrink any day.

The question I have is how much of a lowball am I going to get from a dealer for those of you that may have traded in your 997.
First things first, they'll never give you anything more than a regular C4S. All those fancy mods and new tires mean nothing to them. Some of the worst dealer trade-in quotes I've ever received were on my 911 and I had just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports . Regarding the "tax credit", please explain what you mean. I have in mind what you mean, but some people use the expression of tax credits loosely. Are you talking about when you trade in the car, you're only taxed on the difference? Also, how many total cars do you have? Can you save the C4S and get rid of the Cayenne and buy something cheap? Yea, like something reliable to get you from A to B, but nothing as expensive as a Porsche. I know, I know.. sacrifices, sacrifices.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Thanks professor! I know I am not alone out there haha!

The wife has been super reasonable over the years but with little ones etc I am catching more flack these days and the cayenne is running long on miles and I have done the “cheap” daily but have such a long commute for work that it gets old quick.

The tax credit is just to offset the sales tax. MA tax is 6.25% but the trade values are taken off the sales price.

I 100% will regret selling. This one will hurt as much or more than my e46m3 that I sold 10 plus years ago! We do get emotionally attached to our “babies” haha. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:56 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Wholesale for your car is probably about $32K, depending on miles and options (not mods).
Old 12-23-2018, 02:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Hate to say it but those mods will probably give the dealer a good reason to fleece you since their typical customer isn't into stuff like that . Have you tried to sell it here on the market place? Whole different clientele here compared to the dealerships. I bet there's a buyer here who would appreciate your mods as opposed to beating you up over them. Make take some time to find him/her though.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,143 Likes on 3,915 Posts

List it on the forum for $42-$45 depending on the rest of the equipment. Or look for a 957 generation Cayenne with lower miles, either a GTS, Turbo, or Turbo S. They're the best generation of Cayennes and except for the Turbo S can be had cheap, which will let you keep the 997.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Encourage your wife to get a hobby so she focuses on that. Even let her spend some money on it. I strongly suggested that to my wife and she went and started a horse business. As many of you Uber intelligent gents know, horses can be more expensive than Porsche’s. Redirection.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:36 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rap
Encourage your wife to get a hobby so she focuses on that. Even let her spend some money on it. I strongly suggested that to my wife and she went and started a horse business. As many of you Uber intelligent gents know, horses can be more expensive than Porsche’s. Redirection.
she shows a horse currently so I feel your pain there! I get plenty of mileage from the horse show in terms of keeping it fair haha. Golf trips and watches along with the cars tend to check that box. I know I will be back into a fun weekend car just maybe when the kids are a bit bigger and I hope to have more time.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

From what I have seen, you will get more selling the car yourself than you will save in sales tax by trading it in. But, you will likely wait a lot longer; a modded Porsche may not be a quick sale.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trade in

Why not just start with a trade and see where you’re at? Then factor the sales tax credit which should be close to 2k...it’s also posibile you have more negotiating power with a trade on your new vehicle - if the delta is 1-2k between private party and trade in after factoring in tax credit -is it worth your time? probably not...years ago i traded my boxster in, drove it for almost 2 years and only lost about $1500....

Quick Reply: Potential trade value