Sponsored by:

Found this at CarMax. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:12 AM
chekraze
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Found this at CarMax. Worth it?

I’m looking for my first 911 experience and put my name down to buy this car. I’m looking for a car that gives me a good idea of what a 911 is like but want something that will hold value well. I would only put 5-6K mikes per year on it. My DD is a ‘15 S5. I am good with PDK. It has a 7 day return policy which is nice. Am going to see it in person tomorrow. Selling price is $50K

carfax says it had a minor rear accident when it was less than a year old and shortly after that it was offered as a CPO by Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta.

It had maintenance there also and last oil change at 34K miles. Now mileage is 44K and I doubt it had 40K service. I tried to upload the CARFAX but no luck

thx for your opinion

https://www.carmax.com/car/16814935?...um=AppShareiOS

Old 12-22-2018, 08:29 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 84 Posts

If you’re ok with PDK and non-s, it should not be difficult to find a car that has not been in an accident. My 2c.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

$50k seems a little high for a non-S car with accident history and 10k mile oil changes. For that money I'd look for an accident free S with higher mileage (around 60,000) that's had 5,000 mile oil changes, and since this is a 2nd or fun car, I'd get one with a MT and RWD if you want to find out what a 911 is all about.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:33 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks. I'll go look at it but might be worth waiting for a better buy. Too many question marks. I relaize MT better for resale but I prefer PDK. That, SC and sport design steering wheel are musts at this point however I haven't gone out and driven a MT car yet
Old 12-22-2018, 01:02 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Other than a GT car or a rare model, none of the 997s are going to hold value well. However, a PDK base with accident history will do worse than average. Buy a car you like and drive the **** out of it. It's not an investment.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:04 PM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are degrees of "accident history". Shortly after this 911's event it was CPO'd by an authorized dealer - I'd bet the damage was very minor. Furthermore, Carmax bought this car knowing the details of the damage and is pricing the car accordingly. Usually the Carmax prices are reasonable for retail and the 7-day return offer protects you if you want to investigate further. If you keep looking you will eventually, probably, find a similar car for 5% less. But to me it sounds like this one has options and color you're looking for. Purchase price will soon be forgotten once you own the car. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree with sailorlite. Carmax prices are not the cheapest, but they are reasonable and their extended warranty is very nice, as is their return policy. I have bought several cars from Carmax in the past and always felt comfortable about it. I didn't buy my Pcar from them because they didn't have anything in my price range and it felt like my security blanket has been taken away.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Other than a GT car or a rare model, none of the 997s are going to hold value well. However, a PDK base with accident history will do worse than average. Buy a car you like and drive the **** out of it. It's not an investment.
I disagree with this. 997s probably won't appreciate, but they've also essentially stopped depreciating too. You can buy a well optioned 997 today, drive it for a couple years and sell it for about what you paid for it. TheBruce is a perfect example where he owns a well maintained non-S 997.1 and in thinking about selling it actually has 3 people offering to but it for more than he did, essentially giving him back his purchase price plus the cost of the work he DIY'd (clutch, coolant tank, etc).

997s will likely never go crazy like the air cooled cars as there were just too many made, but right now they're affordable to buy, drive, and then resell without taking much of a hit at all.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:04 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I disagree with this. 997s probably won't appreciate, but they've also essentially stopped depreciating too. You can buy a well optioned 997 today, drive it for a couple years and sell it for about what you paid for it. TheBruce is a perfect example where he owns a well maintained non-S 997.1 and in thinking about selling it actually has 3 people offering to but it for more than he did, essentially giving him back his purchase price plus the cost of the work he DIY'd (clutch, coolant tank, etc).

997s will likely never go crazy like the air cooled cars as there were just too many made, but right now they're affordable to buy, drive, and then resell without taking much of a hit at all.
That's a nice anecdote. My point is that if OP is looking for a car that will hold it's value, that ain't it.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
Thanks. I'll go look at it but might be worth waiting for a better buy. Too many question marks. I relaize MT better for resale but I prefer PDK. That, SC and sport design steering wheel are musts at this point however I haven't gone out and driven a MT car yet
This has been debated and still is since the PDK was introduced 2009. PDK has been chosen by about 80% of buyers of new cars since then. Yes, there are die hard MT buyers out there who may pay a premium for the hard to find ones but given the ratio of new cars ordered, I don't think there should be much discussion about which transmission most buyers prefer. So is a MT 997 worth more than a 997 with a $4,000 PDK option? To a small pool of buyers it is but how much of a premium are they willing to pay.....if any?

This recent thread discusses the exact same subject:
I was looking at my car value on CarGurus and there is a 6K difference between manual and PDK, with PDK being higher. Six grand!! All I read on Reenlist is how hard it is to find a manual 977 , and people willing to pay more for it. Can anyone explain why?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ual-trans.html
Old 12-23-2018, 09:54 AM
DrJordan1911
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a nice car...but I think you will be better served going with a PDK S model. And yes, 997 values have slowed in depreciation by alot... I got my 05 back in 2014 ish for mid 40s...I could sell it now for high 30s if it wasn't modded. With my new 4.0 engine I probably could get upwards of 50k from a PCA er... its all moot though, because I don't think I will ever sell it.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:25 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

So OP did you go see the car and what did you think of it? I've had my '09 first Porsche for one year so have less experience than many others here. Still, my impression is that it's overpriced for what it is. Big item for me would be knowing whether or not this PDK had ever been serviced, along with other 40k items like spark plugs. Carmax prolly would have changed the oil when they took it in but that's all you can expect if that. Doubt that they'll be able to provide any other service history. I'd recommend buying the Carmax warranty if you take this car. By the time you're out the door with TTL you're close to pushing $60k. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:33 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't think there's anything earth shatteringly special about these run of the mill 911s but they are very very well rounded machines. As far as holding value well, assuming market conditions don't go down the crapper and we enter a multi year recession, then they're pretty good in that respect.

I can't think of many alternatives in that price and year range that would hold value better. Of course,'buying private party helps a little but that's not without risk.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Black edition has some nice options that you don't find very often, especially on base models. Sport chrono plus, sport design steering wheel, turbo 2 19" wheels. That Carmax is very close to me, I sold a truck to those guys and they were very fair and professional. That location has a state of the art inspection and repair shop. Also top notch paint booth.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:29 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Patience

you can do better

Quick Reply: Found this at CarMax. Worth it?