Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Looking at low mileage 997.1 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1119888-looking-at-low-mileage-997-1-a.html)

wely324 12-21-2018 02:53 PM

Looking at low mileage 997.1

Hi, I have been looking at some 06-08 C2S all with miles between 6,000-25,000 miles. Most of the cars look to be in great condition but I am wondering if I should be concerned about anything due to such low miles on 10+ year old cars. I had a 06 C2S and after having a macan for a few years I'm missing the manual transmission and low to the ground sports car feel.

There is one issue with one of the cars I'm looking at , which is the TPMS sensors. I have seen a wide variety of prices on replacing them, and I'm wondering if I should ask for them to replace it first or use it to bargain the price a little?

Also, my last 997 was an X51, I wish I never sold it, but that is history. Im curious on opinions if its worth paying more for a car that has been well optioned vs. not many options, mainly the sport chrono option? In the 997 I just don't see the value of that option other than having the clock on the dash.

One car has 6k miles, sport chrono, PSE, paint is near mint, I like the steering wheel better in this car as well as the wheels, and it's guards red with black interior. Price is $9k more.
The 2nd car has 23k miles, midnight blue metallic, and would leave me with some funds for performance upgrades and or a 2nd set of wheels (dedicated winter wheels). but no sport chrono, no pse which i prefer, TPMS needs to be recalibrated or sensors need to be replaced.

Any thoughts are appreciated
Billy

cwheeler 12-21-2018 04:52 PM

There is a current thread going about cheaper tpms sensors that work just fine.

Regarding the options, I think it's totally up to you! I wanted sport chrono, for the PASM. And happen to get the sport seats and aero package.
Guards red color is also hard to find. Sounds like something to jump on.

Regarding mileage, I can't comment, mine has 20k miles, runs and drives like new.

DesmoSD 12-21-2018 06:41 PM

Hey Billy, I bought my 2006 C2S in Feb with 14K miles and the PPI passed with flying colors. The shop was very impressed on how near new it looked for being 12 yrs old. It now has 19K miles and no issues to report. Most of the serviceable items still had it's manufactured date from 2006; air filter, cabin filter, coolant reservoir cap and tires.

linderpat 12-22-2018 09:01 AM

I think low mileage is not an issue on a car from the mid-00's. That really wasn't that long ago, and so long as it wasn't stored in the AZ sun, it should be fine. I assume that even with low miles, the PO would have kept the coolant changed at reasonable intervals and other routine maintenance done. That's really the more important metric.

wely324 12-22-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 15514474)
I think low mileage is not an issue on a car from the mid-00's. That really wasn't that long ago, and so long as it wasn't stored in the AZ sun, it should be fine. I assume that even with low miles, the PO would have kept the coolant changed at reasonable intervals and other routine maintenance done. That's really the more important metric.

​​​​​​
Yes, I definitely would agree routine maintenance is the key, unfortunately the carfax service history is not that detailed nor does it show yearly service records for the one car with 6,000 miles.

mjsporsche 12-22-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 15514474)

Ed,

Just to clarify, the coolant on these cars do not need changing frequently.

Mark

cosm3os 12-22-2018 04:34 PM

You should be concerned. These cars do not like to sit. Maintenance records should reflect service based on time intervals, not mileage.

jeebus31 12-22-2018 05:09 PM

Mine sat for a while, driven less than 1k/year for the past few years by PO. I made the mistake thinking that low mileage = good car. Trans fluid leak from the cardan shaft seal which I believe ultimately led to bad trans bearing requiring trans replacement and it also had an engine cam cover weep. All corrected now, and it's totally sorted, but for any 997 you choose a good PPI will be priceless regardless of the mileage. I echo the above sentiments of getting all the necessary service records and making sure everything is done on a time interval if you're dead set on a low mileage car.

linderpat 12-23-2018 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by mjsporsche (Post 15514669)
Ed,

Just to clarify, the coolant on these cars do not need changing frequently.

Mark

Thanks Mark, although with an Al block and heads, old coolant turns acidic and will eat at the mating surface around the head gaskets. It's an issue on the 928, and I assumed it could be an issue with the 997's too? Maybe not yet. I never trust those manufacturer claims of lifetime fluids for this and that. Those decisions tend to be driven by the number crunchers and warranty watchers within the manufacturer. I am still learning these cars though. Very different from the 928.

wely324 01-02-2019 10:00 AM

A question regarding an 09 C2, the car has Sport Chrono Package but no suspension button, I'm guessing that means it doesn't have Sport PASM??? I am thinking if I can find an 09 C2 with the right options it might not be a bad route to go as it's only a few less HP than an 997.1 C2S??? But Sport PASM would definitely be a must or will that be impossible to find?

Iceter 01-02-2019 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by cosm3os (Post 15515321)
You should be concerned. These cars do not like to sit. Maintenance records should reflect service based on time intervals, not mileage.

While I agree that these cars tend to have more problems the more they sit, I disagree with the idea that switching to a time-based maintenance schedule does anything to keep garage queens from breaking.

Think about out the regular maintenence items—oil changes, filter changes, transmission fluid changes, spark plug replacement, etc. With the exception of brake fluid changes, none of those items degrade over time when not in use, and changing them doesn’t prevent the issues that garage queens develop, which often include rear main seal leaks, electrical gremlins, bore scoring, transmission seal leaks, etc.

Only regular driving where the car and it’s systems get up to operating temperatures and the battery fully recharges can effectively keep those bugs away.

For many maintenance items, a time interval is nothing more than a method for the dealership to maintain steady cash-flow.

Iceter 01-02-2019 09:12 PM

PASM uses a button with a little shock absorber pictogram on it. No button, no PASM.

Iceter 01-02-2019 09:21 PM

Also, regarding the TPMS, there are readers that can tell you what the battery life is on the sensors. Any NTB or big tire store should have one. If the sensors need replacing soon, you could use that as a bargaining chip. The sensors are cheap but they’re a PITA to replace—the job itself is very easy, but you have to make a trip to a tire installer so they can break the bead on each tire, remove and install the sensors and re-check the balance on each tire. The potential for an inexperienced tire monkey to scar up the wheels is pretty high.

Perfectly good sensors can can be found for a fraction of the price of Porsche sensors.

Conventional wisdom says says the sensor batteries last about 5 to 6 years, but I have some that were functioning perfectly at 8 years and I only replaced them because I was getting new tires and it was very convenient to do it at that time.

wely324 01-03-2019 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Iceter (Post 15537522)

While I agree that these cars tend to have more problems the more they sit, I disagree with the idea that switching to a time-based maintenance schedule does anything to keep garage queens from breaking.

Think about out the regular maintenence items—oil changes, filter changes, transmission fluid changes, spark plug replacement, etc. With the exception of brake fluid changes, none of those items degrade over time when not in use, and changing them doesn’t prevent the issues that garage queens develop, which often include rear main seal leaks, electrical gremlins, bore scoring, transmission seal leaks, etc.

Only regular driving where the car and it’s systems get up to operating temperatures and the battery fully recharges can effectively keep those bugs away.

For many maintenance items, a time interval is nothing more than a method for the dealership to maintain steady cash-flow.

this is what my concern is with a 12 year old car that only has 5000 miles. The car is in beautiful shape and being guards red with the right options I don’t think I will come across another one like it.

Iceter 01-03-2019 02:53 AM

Well, all cars have potential flaws lurking just under the shiny paint. It’s just that garage queens have different issues than daily drivers. Just make sure you get a PPI and that your mechanic knows what to look for with low-mileage cars.

Good luck!