Sponsored by:

997.2 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 no crank

Drove to work today with my 997.2. It started fine with no issues. After work, it would no start car. Not even crank.
Battery is brand new and power is there to A/C and radio however, not to gauge cluster until I stop trying to start the car.

Does anybody have any clue on what could be the problem?

Uploaded a video of problem happening. It wouldn't crank first 10 times then tried again after 15 minutes it didn't work but next try it started car. Then it started car every time. Anybody knows what is going on before going to Indy for more diagnosis?

Battery is brand new and I have changed it two times. Please don't mention battery is the problem because it is not

Last edited by onsickm; 12-31-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:37 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Manual? Could be ignition switch, clutch switch. Having any problems before it died?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by kellen
Manual? Could be ignition switch, clutch switch. Having any problems before it died?
It is PDK so no clutch switch. No problems at all. It was working as always just today it didn't seem to want to start to crank
Old 12-18-2018, 10:19 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

No Crank No Start diagnosis begins with the battery. You'll find plenty o' videos on YouTube for help. You'll need a multimeter.

Last edited by swingwing; 12-18-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by swingwing
No Crank No Start diagnosis begins with the battery. You'll find plenty o' videos on YouTube for help. You'll need a multimeter.
Not a battery. It is brand new tested and it works like charm. It is also not ignition switch cause I can hear tick when I insert the key.

Could be HPFP be a cause of no crank start? It would start but after some long cranks?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM
swingwing
Pro

If you've got a known good battery then you've got to verify voltage at the starter. HPFP is mechanical (it's run by exhaust camshaft on driver's side bank); if you've got a true No Crank condition then HPFP is not your problem in my opinion. Have you measured battery voltage since the No Crank No Start? You may have to remove battery from car and take it somewhere (like Interstate) and have it tested. Have you checked battery cable connections?

Last edited by swingwing; 12-18-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

I assume you mean absolutely no cranking and the interior lights are not dimming. Check the brake pedal switch. If the computer doesn't see the pedal down it won't start.

If the interior lights dim or you have a weak crank then it's the battery or a connection (most likely a loose battery cable since that was just changed).

Other possibilities exist, but to save writing a novel start with the above and let us know what you've got.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:09 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

That has happened to me a few times. I just turn the key over and try again.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by onsickm
Not a battery. It is brand new tested and it works like charm. It is also not ignition switch cause I can hear tick when I insert the key.

Could be HPFP be a cause of no crank start? It would start but after some long cranks?
Doubt it. My HPFP failed recently. It cranked just fine but just wouldn't run.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 AM
swingwing
Pro

Yes, but OP says he has a No Crank No Start problem. For this issue electrics come first. Since he says battery is brand new I'm thinking cables, bad ground or even shorted cell in his new battery. Swapping a known good battery into the car would tell a lot.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM
onsickm
Instructor

If you've got a known good battery then you've got to verify voltage at the starter. HPFP is mechanical (it's run by exhaust camshaft on driver's side bank); if you've got a true No Crank condition then HPFP is not your problem in my opinion. Have you measured battery voltage since the No Crank No Start? You may have to remove battery from car and take it somewhere (like Interstate) and have it tested. Have you checked battery cable connections?
Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I assume you mean absolutely no cranking and the interior lights are not dimming. Check the brake pedal switch. If the computer doesn't see the pedal down it won't start.

If the interior lights dim or you have a weak crank then it's the battery or a connection (most likely a loose battery cable since that was just changed).

Other possibilities exist, but to save writing a novel start with the above and let us know what you've got.
Originally Posted by Balr14
That has happened to me a few times. I just turn the key over and try again.
Originally Posted by sandwedge
Doubt it. My HPFP failed recently. It cranked just fine but just wouldn't run.
Yes, but OP says he has a No Crank No Start problem. For this issue electrics come first. Since he says battery is brand new I'm thinking cables, bad ground or even shorted cell in his new battery. Swapping a known good battery into the car would tell a lot.
Thanks for the responses. It is not the battery guys. Battery is brand new and tested to be working in 100% by taking measuring it at a shop and then took battery and install it on my friends 911 and it would fire every single time. Battery is ruled out guys. Let's move on on what could be the other potential problem.

Before I had no crank at all, it happened to me once but as Balr14 said, I turned key back and then tried again and it started fine. This time it is not starting at all.

Interior lights does not dime, radio and A/C are still on while trying to start. How do I measure the starter?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

If the lights do not dim then cranking is not being requested or the power is not getting through when requested. That goes back to the brake pedal switch interlock, starter solenoid, ignition switch, but rules out battery cable connections. Something in your system is preventing or interrupting the power.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:37 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
If the lights do not dim then cranking is not being requested or the power is not getting through when requested. That goes back to the brake pedal switch interlock, starter solenoid, ignition switch, but rules out battery cable connections. Something in your system is preventing or interrupting the power.
Where is the location of brake pedal switch interlock? Is there way to bypass it for just testing it?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 AM
swingwing
Pro

Wish I could be more help here. If accessories like radio and windows work with key in ON position then I'm guessing that ignition switch is not your problem. Starter motor is on top of the engine underneath the intake manifold. Is car still in work parking lot or have you moved it? Here is a YouTube video I found that may be of some help. Car in video is a 997.1, but there should be some similarities.

Last edited by swingwing; 12-20-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added sentence and video.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:24 AM
onsickm
Instructor

Wish I could be more help here. If accessories like radio and windows work with key in ON position then I'm guessing that ignition switch is not your problem. Starter motor is on top of the engine underneath the intake manifold. Is car still in work parking lot or have you moved it? Here is a YouTube video I found that may be of some help. Car in video is a 997.1, but there should be some similarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJ50RaF8XE
so I tried starting the car again yesterday and it worked like a charm! I am not sure what the problem is anymore but it is not brake swtich for sure as If I don't depress the brake, I will get "apply brake" on dash console.
I am not sure to troubleshoot the intermitted problem!!. I don't want to left stranded again

Quick Reply: 997.2 no crank