Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Glad to hear you got it started. What year's your car, miles and what part of country do you live in? Not in favor of throwing parts, but you might want to consider replacing ignition switch if this problem reappears. Here's a video for replacement on a 996 - different model I know but steps should be similar.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 PM
swingwing
Pro

I prolly spoke too soon. Here's the ignition switch from FCP Euro, which is different from the inexpensive part in the 996 video. Note it doesn't come with keys, so that'd be extra expense at the dealership, plus it may require PIWIS pairing.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...761815905#desc
Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

any update OP?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:44 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Best bet is the ignition switch. It's a common issue with .1s but not sure if the .2 uses the same part. It was the first thing I replaced on my car. It happened once during my test drive but I couldn't replicate it and the prior owner just thought I was an idiot. Symptoms included a slight delay between when I turned the key and the starter would engage. 1 in 10 starts nothing wouldn't happen at all. It would typically work if I took the key out and tried a couple more times.

My indy replaced for $250. Its a very easy DIY I believe. The switch costs maybe $150.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM
swingwing
Pro

The 997.2 uses a different part - see the link to FCP Euro in my post #17. It's ~$190, but more bad news is that keys to fit it are not included. When that's figured out I'm guessing it's got to paired via PIWIS. Potential here for large cost methinks.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Just checked and looks like it uses the same part.

997.1 Ignition Switch - Porsche (997-618-159-07) $186.75
997.2 Ignition Switch - Porsche (997-618-159-07) $186.75

Doest looks like it needs to be reprogramed. 30 min job. Bruce in Philly wrote a DIY on it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html
Old 12-26-2018, 12:32 PM
swingwing
Pro

Thanks. Good post by Bruce in Philly answers.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:13 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyNate
any update OP?
Hey man, I recognize you from e90 M3 forum. Small world !

No updates yet. Car starts every single time now. I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem if it is intermittent. Does anyone know if dealer or indy would figure out the problem?
I don't want to start replacing parts just for a guess. That never ended up good with me and my wallet gets tired quickly
I do hope I don't get stranded again. Everytime I try to start the car, I pray it turns on.

Also ignition switch on 997.2 are not common problem as it is 997.1 When I turn the key I hear click every single time so it means ignition switch is working just fine (even at time when I couldn't turn it on "I believe" but I have to replicate it again to verify)
Does anyone know what are the signs of ground problem? Does interior lights work fine and dash console if there is ground problem?

Last edited by onsickm; 12-27-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onsickm
Hey man, I recognize you from e90 M3 forum. Small world !

No updates yet. Car starts every single time now. I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem if it is intermittent. Does anyone know if dealer or indy would figure out the problem.
I don't want to start replacing parts just for a guess. That never ended up good with me and my wallet gets tires.
I do hope I don't get stranded again. Everytime I try to start the car, I pray it turns on.

Also ignition switch on 997.2 are not common problem as it is 997.1 When I turn the key I hear click every single time so it means ignition switch is working just fine (even at time when I couldn't turn it on "I believe" but I have to replicate it again to verify)
Does anyone know what are the signs of ground problem? Does interior lights work fine and dash console if there is ground problem?
Small world indeed!! Glad to see you here. I sold my E92 M3 ZCP about 4.5 years ago and landed in a good place here. Found a super solid and dead reliable Cayman 987.2. That was until this VERY odd issue cropped up. SAME EXACT problem as you. Had the starter changed a week ago tomorrow and the car was TOTALLY fine, for 4 days.. when the problem reoccurred again a couple days ago. What was peculiar this time is WHERE it occurred. It had been doing this intermittently for about a year but could ALWAYS refire the car with some patience but this time it wouldn’t refire backed into my driveway on a VERY steep decline. SAME LOCATION AS BEFORE I had the work performed. Now I’m no conspiracy theorist but this ain’t no coincidence. I carefully pushed the car into my level garage and the car fired after some patience. I took the car out today (though very briefly) and had NO ISSUES and made multiple stops. I was ASSURED by a FaceBook member that the starter was the cause and he even accompanied his issue with a video of it doing what our cars are doing. I DO NOT regret changing the starter as the car sounds brand new at startup. I am 1000% sure it is NOT the ignition switch at this point and am only left with the battery loom/harness BUT my indy said nothing looked suspect when they disassembled so I will just sit, wait and hope.. BTW, I am experimenting with KEEPING my battery on the maintainer as opposed to occasionally so that if it’s a voltage issue it will at least compensate for a fried harness a little. Battery does not seem to be the culprit either but it can’t hurt to rejuvenate it. I believe that may have helped today but am not sure. PLEASE LMK what happens with your car and I will with mine. I’m not chasing this problem with money Lol. I managed to find a NEW OEM Denso starter for only $336 but i’m still out $700 total so far. IF anyone wants a used DENSO OEM STARTER that still works please PM me and we can work something out.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump...Problem happened again today. I uploaded a video for the problem

Anyone knows what is going on?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey onsickm, did you ever get the cat bolts out for the x pipe?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Hey onsickm, did you ever get the cat bolts out for the x pipe?
Your question has nothing to do with this thread lol
Old 05-17-2021, 04:20 PM
SDCLTD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- I have had the same intermittent issue, although it became a real problem yesterday. It first was noticed 6-8 months ago. [MY 2012 997.2 Turbo S]
- In the past, I’d simply remove/reinsert the key, and it’ll start. The Key FOB battery is ‘current’ [changed 3 months ago]
- Yesterday, it took 8+ times & twice I received a message indicating I needed to ‘Apply The Brake’, which was already ‘applied’
- Battery is the Porsche OEM “AGM” 80 Ah & was replaced/installed 15-18 months ago
- The Porsche ‘Trickle Charger’ through the cigarette lighter is connected if I’m not driving the car for more than 2-3 days, so it’s not the battery
- I’ve started carrying the 2nd set of Keys as a backup, but not yet used them. And I’m not convinced it’s the issue anyway

If anyone has experienced this, or has a solution, I’d appreciate the information being shared. [Maybe it’s the Key Switch ...... Pure Guess! But, I’d hate to have this occur on the road!]

Old 05-17-2021, 05:23 PM
swingwing
Pro

I say a faulty (or misaligned) interlock switch on your brake pedal is a likely culprit. Relatively inexpensive part and not hard to change.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:20 PM
SDCLTD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi 'Swingwing':

- Thanks for your thoughts. [And, I think you're correct!] It's a 2012 997.2 Turbo S. No prior issues & owned since new.
- The problem [see above] hasn't been a real issue until yesterday. I could always 'solve' the problem by removing/reinserting the key. Not so yesterday.
- Car wouldn't start - but did after multiple attempts of inserting/removing/inserting the key. [That's how I've always solved it in the past.]
- With the engine running [after dropping off a passenger 10+ miles later], I could not move the shift lever out of Park. Never had that occur.
- Didn't want to shut off the engine for fear that the potential 'Key' issue would 're-appear', so I kept re-applying the Foot Brake, and attemping to move the shift lever.
- On the 3rd or 4th attempt, I was finally able to move the shift lever out of Park. Later, upon re-start [45 minutes later], everything worked OK
- Initially, I was thinking it was the Ignition Switch cylinder [which multiple individuals have reported], but now I'm wondering if it may be the foot brake sensor.
- Candidly, I didn't know it was a 'Known Issue'. I've always assumed it was a worn Ignition Switch cylinder, which I've 'lived with' but not replaced. [Will now!]
- Still, If you can refer me to a 'YouTube' video on correcting the potential misaligned foot brake interlock switch, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again, for your insight!

Quick Reply: 997.2 no crank