Sponsored by:

Most expensive test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most expensive test drive?

I test drove for the first time ever a 05 C2 997.1 yesterday. It was the third 911 I've tested so far in my search for my first Porsche.

Owner was driving along side of me and asked if I wanted to open it up on the interstate. "Sure!"

I pulled onto the on ramp and went through gears getting to fourth at 110MPH. I merge into traffic with a huge smile on my face. Wow! I'm sure many of you have had this experience at this point in your purchasing cycle.

No sooner than merging into traffic do I have an unmarked police car pull up behind me, keeping pace with me. I bring it down to 65 MPH (speed limit) without hitting the brakes. He stays behind me for about a mile, puts his lights on, passes me, and speeds off into the distance.

That could've been the most expensive test drive I have ever taken!

So... was it because he respected the Porsche that I didn't get a ticket? Anyone have a story similar to this test drive?

Gary
Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Write this one off as luck. Good thing you brought back down to 65.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Same thing happened to me last summer. I decided to open it up on a downhill stretch of freeway. I looked in the mirror and there was a car with lights on top. He too followed me for a couple miles and turned off when I did. Apparently he was on his way to work at the truck scale up the road. Must have been late I guess, he never stopped me.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by bheit1
Same thing happened to me last summer. I decided to open it up on a downhill stretch of freeway. I looked in the mirror and there was a car with lights on top. He too followed me for a couple miles and turned off when I did. Apparently he was on his way to work at the truck scale up the road. Must have been late I guess, he never stopped me.
Wow... I'm going to write this one off as luck! Just better check my surroundings a whole lot more closely next time.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:10 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

I have many friends in law enforcement at various levels including detectives and Sheriffs Deputy and they all tell me that law enforcement doesn’t really want to bother with people driving cars like ours for two reasons. First of all, most police officers are car enthusiasts themselves and they have a level of respect for us and our cars. The second reason is that they want the easy tickets, and ones that can lead to other violations like uninsured drivers and people with outstanding warrants. Beaters are easy targets. 911 drivers are more likely to have their act together and have a high likelihood of taking the ticket to court. So as long as you drive with respect and don’t do anything stupid, you have a great chance of having things to your way.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I thought you were going to say you opened it up on the ramp and the engine blew. The ending to your story was lucky for you but a little anticlimactic.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:04 AM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iceter
I thought you were going to say you opened it up on the ramp and the engine blew. The ending to your story was lucky for you but a little anticlimactic.
OK, yeah, that would've been a whole lot more exciting.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
I have many friends in law enforcement at various levels including detectives and Sheriffs Deputy and they all tell me that law enforcement doesn’t really want to bother with people driving cars like ours for two reasons. First of all, most police officers are car enthusiasts themselves and they have a level of respect for us and our cars. The second reason is that they want the easy tickets, and ones that can lead to other violations like uninsured drivers and people with outstanding warrants. Beaters are easy targets. 911 drivers are more likely to have their act together and have a high likelihood of taking the ticket to court. So as long as you drive with respect and don’t do anything stupid, you have a great chance of having things to your way.
That's why I call them "Cashiers with guns".
Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

I would like to think that the reason for you not getting stopped was that the officer thought that both you and obviously the car could handle the speed.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

I've blown past a cop sitting on the median of the highway at triple digit speeds.... Was waiting for the lights to go turn on and for him to come after me, thinking the worst, but he just sat in his car... Didn't move or budge an inch. I later told a friend of mine about the incident (he's an officer in a different county/district) asking him his thoughts as to why I was never pursued... He didn't really want to even try to speculate, but if he had to take a guess, he figured that officer's shift was probably close to ending and he didn't want to spend the extra over time doing paper work (at least, that would have been my friend's reasoning if he were in that position). Whatever the case, I thank my lucky stars for that one, as that could have been a bad day for me!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:23 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Most expensive test drive was when the dealer who sold me my old C2S gave me the keys and told me to come back in 30 minutes.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM
carguydanny89911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like the universe is telling you to buy THAT CAR
Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Who does 110mph on a public road with the owner in the car on a test drive??? I guess we just found out the answer to that question.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:22 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

I’d be careful about being emboldened by all these accounts of cops allowing Porsches to flyby. Traffic cops are pretty meat and potato guys. They are more likely to be interested in seeing a new Dodge Hellcat/Demon than some cocky guy in a Porsche sports car.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:29 PM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

My days of high speeds on public roads are behind me... Not worth the risk, ticket or safety to myself or others. I had some lucky moments, but thought it best to quit while I am able...

Quick Reply: Most expensive test drive?