997 C2S Launch Edition Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:35 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts
Thumbs up 997 C2S Launch Edition Journal

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my second 997 adventure. As some of you may remember I shared my white 997.2 GTS's progress through a different thread before, and now I did the unthinkable and switched from a 7.2 GTS to an earlier 7.1 Carrera S. It may seem like a downgrade and in some respect it is (electronics, ride etc.) but I completely feel the opposite as the new car is not an ordinary C2S, it is the Launch edtion. Meaning it is loaded with very desirable options such as PCCB, Sport Chassis, LSD and most importantly a 6 speed manual

Don't get me wrong, I loved my GTS and it was a blessing to own as my first porsche but after a while the PDK transmission got a bit boring where I am used to far more engagement from my BMW M cars. Hence the switch.
So far, I am loving the new car, LSD and 6spd makes for a completely different experience.

Here she is in her "as bought" condition ;

As always, I couldn't stay still and already added a few personal touches First on the list was the OEM Aerokit as I always thought the mk1 aerokit was far prettier than the mk2 version on my GTS,

After the aerokit, I decided to add a bit Alcantara to the cabin as that was one of my favorite features on the GTS,

And a few days ago, I luckily found OEM Carrera Sport wheels which I believe completes the aero kit.

Now that majority of the cosmetics done, I ordered a GT3 rear bumper which will be coupled with custom central exhaust to finish the body mods.
I also ordered a set of BBS CH-R wheels for summer/track look. They should be here in February.

Will keep you all posted about all my updates.

What do you all think ?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:13 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Looking good

Smart move you made going from PDK to MT!
Old 12-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
Looking good

Smart move you made going from PDK to MT!
Thank you my friend.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Subscribed.

Your prior photo shoot with the GTS was amazing. Looking forward to more pics.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Thats awesome! Welcome (back) to the club. Car looks sweet and Carrera Sports are my absolute favorites.

Im helping a buddy buy his first 997 and found a low mile launch edition for a good price.

How do you find performance and handling on the .1 C2S vs the .2 C4S?

And if you haven't already got it sorted, the LaPower bluetooth module brings the PCM 2.1 into the modern age with hands free calling and streaming audio. And McCarbon is the best source for AC switches if yours are chewed up.

Look forward to seeing the build develop.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
Subscribed.

Your prior photo shoot with the GTS was amazing. Looking forward to more pics.
Once I'm done with the mods, I'll do another photoshoot. Perhaps even crazier this time
Originally Posted by TheBruce
Thats awesome! Welcome (back) to the club. Car looks sweet and Carrera Sports are my absolute favorites.

Im helping a buddy buy his first 997 and found a low mile launch edition for a good price.

How do you find performance and handling on the .1 C2S vs the .2 C4S?

And if you haven't already got it sorted, the LaPower bluetooth module brings the PCM 2.1 into the modern age with hands free calling and streaming audio. And McCarbon is the best source for AC switches if yours are chewed up.

Look forward to seeing the build develop.
GTS had better rear handling but the LSD on the carrera S totally makes up for the lack of width. In terms of performance I didn't feel a major difference. Again the 6 spd engagement makes you feel faster than it really is.

Thanks for the LaPower tip, I'll look into it.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 AM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Beautiful car!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 AM
lebby83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car! I want the steering wheel - Aftermarket or OEM?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

The 05 C2S launch car is a diamond in the 997.1 series - excellent options and a replaceable IMS bearing. I've said it before and will again - if I was buying another non-turbo 997 that's what I would actually seek out. Those who don't know the ins and outs of the IMS issues dismiss the early 05s which lowers the acquisition cost, and they don't realize there's $10k worth of brakes and $4k in seats in that package either.

Your car looks great and the GT3 rear bumper and BBS wheels will finish it up nicely. Looking forward to the photo shoot pics.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Pete - I remember you saying that. The launch edition I was looking at for a buddy was gone in a day. It was listed for $42k with 35k miles. I don't think the dealer knew it was a launch edition, but somebody else did. Whats the lifespan on the PCCBs?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Pete - I remember you saying that. The launch edition I was looking at for a buddy was gone in a day. It was listed for $42k with 35k miles. I don't think the dealer knew it was a launch edition, but somebody else did. Whats the lifespan on the PCCBs?
For a street driven car, very likely the life of the car with 1 set of pad changes at some point. Mine have 50,000 miles on them and the rotor surfaces still look brand new and pads are at least half. I would not track a car with them due to the replacement cost. If I tracked my cars, I'd use Rennline's stainless caliper stud kits for the calipers, get some GiroDisc slotted rotors and appropriate track pads and swap them between track events.

I'm a huge PCCB fan and just completed acquiring all the components to retrofit them onto my 09 Widebody Cayenne Turbo S which I'll be doing over Christmas break. On a 5,000 vehicle where the Turbo S rotors are unique and cost $600 each, it will be nice to not have to do a brake job on that car for over 10 years and to get rid of all the dust that happens in the wheels just about immediately.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The 05 C2S launch car is a diamond in the 997.1 series - excellent options and a replaceable IMS bearing. I've said it before and will again - if I was buying another non-turbo 997 that's what I would actually seek out. Those who don't know the ins and outs of the IMS issues dismiss the early 05s which lowers the acquisition cost, and they don't realize there's $10k worth of brakes and $4k in seats in that package either.

Your car looks great and the GT3 rear bumper and BBS wheels will finish it up nicely. Looking forward to the photo shoot pics.

Bingo!
Launch Edition 997S was the car I seeked out it took me 11 months from 2008 and finally in 2009 I found a mint example. Ten years later I still get excited to go look at it in the garage. What a 911. Congrats OP, there are only 300 of these builds.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

> I am used to far more engagement from my BMW M cars. Hence the switch

I am looking for my first Porsche 997 as well and all the manuals I test drove the clutch really sucked compared to Bmw (for street driving/stop go traffic etc). It just springs back and cannot be feathered easily like bmw. Please let me know your impressions of the clutch .. Is this something we just have to get used to ?( Normal in the Porsche world ?). On my 2007 e92 in really slow traffic once the car gets moving I can let go of both gas and clutch and car will keep crawling at like 5 pmh without stalling. Does the 997 do this ?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:53 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Have thought about the center exhaust myself. Are you going with an aftermarket kit or something else?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:19 PM
srcn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats!

I may be biased, but Carrera Sports + PCCB's just look perfect.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S Launch Edition Journal