Sponsored by:

Automatic door locking

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 AM
Buzzy2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic door locking

Is it possible to change the door locking feature to automatically lock the doors as speed increases without have to go to the dealer (and get charged a ridiculous amount to do it) ?
Old 12-15-2018, 01:59 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Buzzy, programming different door locking sequences needs to be done with Porsche workshop diagnostic tools. Most independent Porsche service shops also have these capabilities. You have a choice of three settings and each key can be programmed differently.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:17 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If your car is so equipped, it can be done via the PCM. Can't remember how sincce
it's been so long. But I programmed mine to lock at 5MPH.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:01 AM
Buzzy2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the help gang. Unfortunately my car no longer has PCM. A previous owner removed it and installed a Garmin system. I don’t think I can set it up through the central computer either but I’ll look into that possibility.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

2009 C2S 129K miles MT

It depends if you have a 997.1 or a 997.2. With a .1, your dealer can do it. With a .2, you dealer can do it but only if you have sport chrono. If you have sport chrono, you can do it yourself through the PCM screen.. assuming you still have the PCM unit.

Porsche buckled down the computer coding for the .2 for some reason. I have a 2009 (.2) without sport chrono and when I purchased the car used, I wanted the dealer to change it to auto door locking. They did, handed me back the car (free as a courtesy), when I got home it didn't work. Took the car back..... I was with the tech when he did it..... his computer shows the option, he turned it on... unplugged the computer... tested the door lock function..... it works once, twice it stops working. So he hooked the computer up, and the bit flipped back to "off". Odd..... he had no clue. So what happens is the computer sees that for some reason.... I didn't "deserve" auto door locking and it flips it back to off. No one at the dealership could figure out why. Later I found it was because I didn;t have Sport Chrono option.

Why? Speculation of course... but I believe Porsche is protecting its option packages from dealers/owners going around the option and getting the goodies. Back when I purchased by 2000 Boxster S, an option was "trip computer" and you got the outside temp as a goodie. Well, someone found out that the dealer can just tell the computer that the option was purchased and the outside temp would now display on the dash..... everyone did it. The computer was always in the car, just features were turned off.

What I don;t like about this is that auto door locking is a safety feature not a luxury option. If you live in or near big cities, you know what I am talking about.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:43 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a Cliffs notes version on setting auto door locks. PCM...Select info...options...individual setting...auto lock...
Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 AM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I didn't "deserve" auto door locking and it flips it back to off. No one at the dealership could figure out why. Later I found it was because I didn;t have Sport Chrono option.
Interesting experience. My car also didn't have SC and had auto locking disabled when I bought it. Asked the dealer to program it (along with doing other work), and when I got my car back, I noticed auto locking still didn't work. So I called the dealer back, they apologized and agreed to fix it -- this 2nd time they got auto locking to work!

All this time I thought it was just incompetence on the dealer's part for missing the 1st try. Maybe there was some obscure trick they had to do to make it work. They did charge me a small fee for doing it so maybe they tried harder the 2nd time.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:47 AM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buzzy2
Is it possible to change the door locking feature to automatically lock the doors as speed increases without have to go to the dealer (and get charged a ridiculous amount to do it) ?
If you have a 997.1 with Sport Chrono Plus then you can do it yourself. Without Sport Chrono dealer needs to do it. I find it to be a nuisance when they automatically lock because you must pull the inside handle twice to open the door.
From the 997.1 manual.
"Automatic door locking
Your authorized Porsche dealer can program diverse
types of automatic door locking in the control
unit of the central locking system:
Type 1
Doors lock automatically when the ignition is
switched on.
Type 2
Doors lock automatically when a speed of
3 - 6 mph (5 - 10 km/h) is exceeded.
Type 3
Doors lock automatically when the ignition is
switched on. If doors are opened with the engine
running, they lock again automatically when a
speed of 3 - 6 mph (5 - 10 km/h) is exceeded.
Type 4
The doors do not lock automatically.
Note
Automatically locked doors can be unlocked with
the central locking button or opened by pulling on
the inside door handle twice.
f On vehicles with the Sport Chrono Package
Plus, the PCM can be used to activate automatic
door locking.
Please observe the chapter “Individual Memory”
in the separate PCM operating instructions"
Old 12-16-2018, 10:49 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy
Interesting experience. My car also didn't have SC and had auto locking disabled when I bought it. Asked the dealer to program it (along with doing other work), and when I got my car back, I noticed auto locking still didn't work. So I called the dealer back, they apologized and agreed to fix it -- this 2nd time they got auto locking to work!

All this time I thought it was just incompetence on the dealer's part for missing the 1st try. Maybe there was some obscure trick they had to do to make it work. They did charge me a small fee for doing it so maybe they tried harder the 2nd time.
Is your car a 997.1 or 997.2? It makes a big difference with programming capabilities.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:52 PM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie

Is your car a 997.1 or 997.2? It makes a big difference with programming capabilities.
997.2 6MT no Sport Chrono, just like Bruce's car. I don't know what the dealer did, but they got it to work.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

997.2 6MT no Sport Chrono, just like Bruce's car. I don't know what the dealer did, but they got it to work.
Wow, that is interesting news! Who was your dealer? I want to give them a call and ask them how they did the locking. My dealer was clueless.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-16-2018, 06:31 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

My car is the same. Dealing with the dealer here, all three of them actually, is such a pain I will not have them try this. I would like that option though, but unless I give them the instructions they can’t figure it out.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Wow, that is interesting news! Who was your dealer? I want to give them a call and ask them how they did the locking. My dealer was clueless.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Let me know if you ever figure this out Bruce. Maybe I will try a dealer in Dallas as the Houston ones are clueless.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:45 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Our friend has a 997.1 cab, 6-speed MT, no sport chrono. The Vancouver dealer programmed the door lock sequence easily and did it without charge. On our 997.2 GTS (Canadian GTS cars all come with Sport Chrono Plus included) the door locking options are listed front and center on the individual memory options on the PCM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It can be done with Durametric Pro, under the Alarm coding section:

Quick Reply: Automatic door locking