Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little OT but does involve my car: Toronto to California road trip

Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default A little OT but does involve my car: Toronto to California road trip

I will be leaving mid-Jan to drive from Toronto to Phoenix and then Palm Springs. Will be in CA for a couple of months then heading back to Toronto for early to mid-April.

I will not be in a rush and plan to avoid interstates. Hence i am looking for suggestions for routes or roads that i should try and make. I am thinking i will stay more east coast down the Appalachians till its a bit warmer, then across. Am planning to leave around Jan 21 to get to Phoenix around the 29th, spend a couple of days there, then to PS for Feb 1st.

I have AWD and full snows but obviously some routes will be weather dependent. If I run in to really bad weather then i will hunker down in a Motel 6.

Given the spread of people on here thought i would ask for suggestions.

Many thanks!

Old 12-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry, I can’t give you any route advice. But if you find yourself west of San Bernadino and headed east back to PS, try to avoid the 210E at the interchange with 10E. It used to be a 2 lane merge on to 10E but CalTrans decided to merge 210E to one lane before 10E so traffic gets really backed up (this is as of late October). Also on 10E at the interchange the lanes split with the left lane separated by a jersey barrier from the right lanes so it gets messy here as well for about four miles (also circa late October).
Old 12-11-2018, 01:28 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

East of Phoenix, you'll probably want to hit the route from Clifton through Alpine and then maybe over to Show Low and down to Globe. I've been meaning to make it over specifically for the Clifton to Alpine drive but that's a bit much to do as a round trip from Phoenix in a day.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Sorry, I can’t give you any route advice. But if you find yourself west of San Bernadino and headed east back to PS, try to avoid the 210E at the interchange with 10E. It used to be a 2 lane merge on to 10E but CalTrans decided to merge 210E to one lane before 10E so traffic gets really backed up (this is as of late October). Also on 10E at the interchange the lanes split with the left lane separated by a jersey barrier from the right lanes so it gets messy here as well for about four miles (also circa late October).
Oh the LA interstates are top of my list of "avoids" as much as possible. I usually take the routes through the San Jacinto or San Bernardino forests - excellent roads. I have spent time in Socal before but know the other parts of the route less well. Thanks

Originally Posted by mujeriega
East of Phoenix, you'll probably want to hit the route from Clifton through Alpine and then maybe over to Show Low and down to Globe. I've been meaning to make it over specifically for the Clifton to Alpine drive but that's a bit much to do as a round trip from Phoenix in a day.
Thanks, will be on the list for sure. I think i remember someone else suggesting a similar route.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you are in Palm Springs, take 74 out of Palm Desert to the mountain town of Idyllwild. Nice scenic route and some good restaurants there. Fun little trip.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:54 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Be advised that there was a pretty big fire in the Idyllwild area this fall and there have been some serious concerns about mudslides throughout the recent CA burn areas.

As for routes.. All of this is high desert or alpine mountain terrain and can have extreme and sudden changes in weather in winter.

Most of the fun stuff in CO where I call home is going to be something you'll need to monitor weather very closely. But if the weather is cooperating, taking the southern route across CO (US 160) or norther NM (I-25/US-550/US-64) can offer some cool roads and scenery. I would highly recommend that you find a way through the Rockies and then get onto UT-24 from Hanksville through Capital Reef and then down the UT-12 through Escalante. The area around Boulder, UT is a high mountain area and can catch alot of snow at times when other nearby areas are dry, so monitor weather there. Route 12 near Upper Calf Creek falls is in my opinion, one of the coolest roads anywhere and I can't wait to go drive it in my 997.2. Head down UT-12 past Bryce Canyon through Kodachrome Basin and then US-89 to the UT-9 to Virgin/Hurricane. Beyond that point, I can't offer any further guidance.

This is all passable in winter and spring and typically dry with good weather, but it is remote and help is not just around the corner.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:12 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Perfect opportunity to do Route 66! Start at the beginning in downtown Chicago.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:19 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Once you are in Palm Springs, take 74 out of Palm Desert to the mountain town of Idyllwild. Nice scenic route and some good restaurants there. Fun little trip.
Thanks, have done 74 and it will be done again a couple of times as my brother lives in Carlsbad

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Be advised that there was a pretty big fire in the Idyllwild area this fall and there have been some serious concerns about mudslides throughout the recent CA burn areas.

As for routes.. All of this is high desert or alpine mountain terrain and can have extreme and sudden changes in weather in winter.

Most of the fun stuff in CO where I call home is going to be something you'll need to monitor weather very closely. But if the weather is cooperating, taking the southern route across CO (US 160) or norther NM (I-25/US-550/US-64) can offer some cool roads and scenery. I would highly recommend that you find a way through the Rockies and then get onto UT-24 from Hanksville through Capital Reef and then down the UT-12 through Escalante. The area around Boulder, UT is a high mountain area and can catch alot of snow at times when other nearby areas are dry, so monitor weather there. Route 12 near Upper Calf Creek falls is in my opinion, one of the coolest roads anywhere and I can't wait to go drive it in my 997.2. Head down UT-12 past Bryce Canyon through Kodachrome Basin and then US-89 to the UT-9 to Virgin/Hurricane. Beyond that point, I can't offer any further guidance.

This is all passable in winter and spring and typically dry with good weather, but it is remote and help is not just around the corner.
Thanks, thats an interesting suggestion. I was contemplating a more southerly route to try and avoid really bad weather but the Rockies is always spectacular. Looks like 89 would take me down toward Phoenix although Hurricane is a bit out of the way. As you say, would need to keep a close eye on weather. I guess i could get somewhere near Kansas City and if the forecast is bad head south and if good, hits the Rockies
Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Anything to see on Route 66 anymore??
Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os

Originally Posted by vern1
Anything to see on Route 66 anymore??
yes and yes. See my post here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post15271120
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by BillNye
Thanks. When i looked on a map it seemed to end about 50 miles outside Chicago but that was obviously wrong! It seems there isnt a map that shows the whole section but i did find a Route 66 website so will look in more detail. Cheers
Old 12-12-2018, 07:07 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Double post deleted
Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

If you come through Virginia, please do not speed. The cops here are ridiculous. 10 over is a wreckless driving and mandatory court. Not fun 😒.

Otherwise there are some some beautiful sights down the blue ridge parkway. But it’s slow going.

Casey
Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

A little inspiration for UT 12 near Calf Creek, though this doesn't show how beautiful the view to the sides is. It does show why this section of asphalt is the coolest.

From https://www.brycecanyoncountry.com/w...enic-byway-12/
Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cwheeler
If you come through Virginia, please do not speed. The cops here are ridiculous. 10 over is a wreckless driving and mandatory court. Not fun 😒.

Otherwise there are some some beautiful sights down the blue ridge parkway. But it’s slow going.

Casey
Good to know, thanks

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
A little inspiration for UT 12 near Calf Creek, though this doesn't show how beautiful the view to the sides is. It does show why this section of asphalt is the coolest.

From https://www.brycecanyoncountry.com/w...enic-byway-12/
Beautiful! I am now building quite a list of cool places to go. May have to hit some in the winter drive down and some on the spring drive back up

Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A little OT but does involve my car: Toronto to California road trip