Sponsored by:

Tire swap gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:16 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Tire swap gone bad!

A new one for me personally. Had my MPSS mounted on OEMrims swapped for all seasons today to get me through the next 4-5 months of bad weather. The Michelins had 75% tread although are from 2012. I was still going to mount the Michelins on another rim set for a couple more seasons, but one rear and one front got tears in the sidewalls during dismount. It was 30 degrees out when they pulled it in and started, so I assume the cold and age of tires contributed, because the tech was experienced and was taking lots of time to avoid damage. Maybe he also could be better, don't know. They called me when first was torn before doing others. It was too late to stop then. So I left with perfect new all seasons and new TPMS sensors but my summers were toast. They gave me my exit invoice since I had prepaid the $60 to swap tires, balance and replace TPMS I brought myself. Before I had any chance to complain, he had already typed on the invoice that they were ordering me 4 new Michelins and would call when arrived so I could pick up. I had gotten worked up for 2 hours for no reason. Lesson: stuff happens. You make things right for your customers, and they may still come back for life. No excuses or partial credit or anything else I was expecting. Thanks Costco.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that is really interesting. I am anxious to here if any other Rennlisters have had the tire ripping experience. The shop was super cool to buy you new tires that probably cost more than your all season. Not to convinced many other shops would do that. Makes me wonder if they f'd up. Time for some new rims!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 PM
shekmark
Pro

Me yesterday, looks jacked up still. Sottozeros on Turbo IIs
Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by shekmark
Wow, that is really interesting. I am anxious to here if any other Rennlisters have had the tire ripping experience. The shop was super cool to buy you new tires that probably cost more than your all season. Not to convinced many other shops would do that. Makes me wonder if they f'd up. Time for some new rims!!!
The all seasons were $1k. The Michelins will be about $1.2k to replace. I figured he messed up the first, a 305 rear, but the other damaged one was a 235 front, which is harder to mess up. I would be interested to see if this has happened to anyone else too. I suspect it is rare they remove tires, especially wide low profile tires, that are being reused instead of going in the dump or recycled.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:41 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old tires are old tires. Sidewalls are a weak point.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to know! I didn’t know Costco carried the PSS or 4s. Have to remember that next time I need tires.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

plenty of ond tires are assembled w/out tearing I bet it was the fault of their methods
Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When putting new snow tires on my wife’s car the shop ripped the first blizzak they put on. They replaced it of course. No extra charge.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Doing any type of service work on a high performance summer tire below 40 F is a mistake - that's where it went wrong. You can actually shatter a rubber ultra performance tire Ina 20-30 degree temperature just by dropping it off the rack onto the tread like you see tire guys do all the time. The switch to all seasons should have been done 4-6 weeks ago on a 50 degree day.

Kudos to the shop for stepping up and replacing the tires for you.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM
shekmark
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Doing any type of service work on a high performance summer tire below 40 F is a mistake - that's where it went wrong. You can actually shatter a rubber ultra performance tire Ina 20-30 degree temperature just by dropping it off the rack onto the tread like you see tire guys do all the time. The switch to all seasons should have been done 4-6 weeks ago on a 50 degree day.

Does that shattering include taking a drive on a crisp, cold winter day at 15 degrees outside?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914

Happy they covered the damage for sure. It would have been less convenient, but if they felt they needed to let the tires warm inside before removing, that would have been fine. I think we all expect people who are suppose to be experts at their craft to do whatever is best to both provide a service they are accepting money for and take responsibility when something happens. Cannot ask for much more.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

I just had my Mich super sports taken off and put on Bridgestone all seasons at a high end shop with no incident to the michelins as far as i can tell although i them scrap them as they were about 6 years olld with about 40% tread left. I paid 1005. all in (mounting and road force balancing, etc was about $180) . Tire definitely have better grip in freezing temps, but a somewhat harsher ride on expansion joints, etc. Only have about 100 miles on them so far, so will see how they break in and maybe soften up in the warm weather (36lbs cold/40lbs hot air pressure)... If not going back to new Michelins in the spring. What all season tires did you end up with and your thoughts on them?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

My brother had a tire bead break on install of his snows.
Breaking a sidewall? Haven't heard that in a while.
I can understand it though. I have seen 2-3 guys wrestling a 35 series tire on a 20" rim.
Surprised more don't break.
Brother was mounting some 5o series on a 13" rim for his fiat. Rim exploded off the tire mounter. Shot across two service bays and hit the door.
No one was killed, not a scratch on the rim.
Shame about your tire. You've ordered fresh ones.
I'm surprised that they billed you for labor. I'm supprised the shop insurance would not cover the damage to the tire?
Perhaps you should polity bring that up upon your next install?

I house air conditioning failed in july. The contractor billed me $200 dollars for a diagnosis. Then sold me a $10k furnace and new air conditioner.
They could have take that two hundred bucks off the big invoice, but I guess they could have buried it again, and I would have never known.

My wife was at costco two summers ago. She came out to a flat tire. The tire store manger spied her looking disheveled. Sent a mechanic out with a jack,took the tire off, patched it, and back on the car. No charge.
You win some, you loose some. Life is a ride, enjoy it.

You'll be happy with your fresh new shoes, soon enough.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Does that shattering include taking a drive on a crisp, cold winter day at 15 degrees outside?
Yes, it does. When I toured the Michelin tent at Road Atlanta this year, the tire expert from Michelin answered a question about running summer tires in the winter, which is where this shattering info came from. He also said the rubber gets so hard it can come off in chunks when it's unable to flex in the cold. With a car parked outside in the cold, I could see where hitting an expansion joint could destroy the tire. Living in SC, all but my truck run high performance summer tires, and are kept in a heated garage so if it's 25 or below, I take the truck and leave the other Pcars in the garage. At 25 I figure the tires starting at 60 in the garage and then generating heat during the drive from forces, I'm probably OK down to that temperature, but not below.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:08 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by Sporty
I just had my Mich super sports taken off and put on Bridgestone all seasons at a high end shop with no incident to the michelins as far as i can tell although i them scrap them as they were about 6 years olld with about 40% tread left. I paid 1005. all in (mounting and road force balancing, etc was about $180) . Tire definitely have better grip in freezing temps, but a somewhat harsher ride on expansion joints, etc. Only have about 100 miles on them so far, so will see how they break in and maybe soften up in the warm weather (36lbs cold/40lbs hot air pressure)... If not going back to new Michelins in the spring. What all season tires did you end up with and your thoughts on them?
I got the only available 19 inch all seasons I could find, Toyo Proxes 4 plus. Only 8 miles driven after install so I will know better how they do by end of week and better yet after next round of snow and ice. After 8 miles I can say they are pretty quiet, like the Michelins when 70+ degrees. Also as expected much better over the rough roads. I can certainly feel the sidewalls are softer going around turns. They feel a little greasy so I’ll gjven them a few trips to judge cold traction. My Indy told me that it would feel unusual in turns on the all seasons, moreso than on stock suspension because I have Bilatein coil overs and sway bars so any softer side wall may feel a little wallowy.

Quick Reply: Tire swap gone bad!