Sponsored by:

PDK Transmission Emergency Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default PDK Transmission Emergency Run

Anyone had this error more recently? There are quite a few posts from a few years ago.

Was driving the 911 today for a fun drive since it broke 40 degrees Wasn't even driving spiritedly (I was in sport at the time) and the warning came up in white text while I was on the way back home. Car drove and shifted fine but wouldnt switch to sport/sport plus. Got home and restarted, warning went away and drove around the block, no problem.

The other threads mention voltage problems. The car has been parked for 3 weeks but has been hooked up to a CTEK maintainer the whole time. Battery was the one in the car when I bought it, but I believe it has a 2018 date code.

It's going back down below freezing with snow so the 911 is going back to being parked, or else I would probably take it by the dealer this week. Should I buy a bluetooth OBD reader and see if any codes pop up?

Last edited by Astraelraen; 12-10-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:02 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Anyone had this error more recently? There are quite a few posts from a few years ago.

Was driving the 911 today for a fun drive since it broke 40 degrees Wasn't even driving spiritedly (I was in sport at the time) and the warning came up in white text while I was on the way back home. Car drove and shifted fine but wouldnt switch to sport/sport plus. Got home and restarted, warning went away and drove around the block, no problem.

The other threads mention voltage problems. The car has been parked for 3 weeks but has been hooked up to a CTEK maintainer the whole time. Battery was the one in the car when I bought it, but I believe it has a 2018 date code.

It's going back down below freezing with snow so the 911 is going back to being parked, or else I would probably take it by the dealer this week. Should I buy a bluetooth OBD reader and see if any codes pop up?
I don’t think you will see anything if you don’t have a CEL. A Durametric would likely show something though.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I've seen it a few times on my 987.2 Cayman S. In my case it was related to misfires (caused by ignition coil or spark plugs). Car would register a misfire and part of it going into limp mode was showing transmission emergency run. Since I changed the plugs and coils its been fine. But as I understand it there are a number of precipitating factors that can cause it. When I pulled the codes with an OBD II reader all I had was info about misfires. Its worth having an OBDII reader around even if it doesn't answer the root cause in this case.
The following users liked this post:
vokain (03-28-2022)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Just another data point for you to consider—my ‘09 C2 went into transmission limp mode a couple times with my car after I’d had it a few months. In my case, i would shift into Drive, but the car wouldn’t move. It would always clear on re-start and was very sporadic. I had other electrical gremlins occurring at the same time so I replaced my battery and they all went away. I haven’t seen the emergency run message since.
Robocop305 (07-25-2021)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Just another data point for you to consider—my ‘09 C2 went into transmission limp mode a couple times with my car after I’d had it a few months. In my case, i would shift into Drive, but the car wouldn’t move. It would always clear on re-start and was very sporadic. I had other electrical gremlins occurring at the same time so I replaced my battery and they all went away. I haven’t seen the emergency run message since.
It may very well be a battery deep discharge issue. Even if a battery is always on a maintainer it comes a day when one or more cells go bad and when a large consumer demands high current (and PDK may be one) it does not deliver.
Robocop305 (07-25-2021)
Old 12-10-2018, 02:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Not sure if this applies to "more recently" but about 3 years ago I got the same warning on the -09 C4S. Shut it down and that cleared it. Got the same warning about a month later. Same process. Shut it down and the warning went away. Then same thing a third time and that time it wouldn't clear no matter how many restarts and the car wouldn't move. So flatbed to the dealer who advised me that the PDK had to be replaced.

Also had the same warning about 6 months ago on my current GTS the day after the 60,000 mile PDK service was done. Car went into limp mode and again, flatbed to the dealer. This time they cleared the fault but couldn't quiet explain what went wrong.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
I may consider replacing the battery this spring when I start driving the 911 more. I believe the battery has a 2018 date code, so I guess it should be new(ish) However, who knows, it could have been discharged completely before I purchased it or something else could have damaged the battery.

Originally Posted by Fined
I've seen it a few times on my 987.2 Cayman S. In my case it was related to misfires (caused by ignition coil or spark plugs). Car would register a misfire and part of it going into limp mode was showing transmission emergency run. Since I changed the plugs and coils its been fine. But as I understand it there are a number of precipitating factors that can cause it. When I pulled the codes with an OBD II reader all I had was info about misfires. Its worth having an OBDII reader around even if it doesn't answer the root cause in this case.
I just had plugs replaced not very long ago, I (hope) they would have replaced the coils if necessary, but they did not mention it. I will likely pick up a cheap OBD2 reader just in case.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Not sure if this applies to "more recently" but about 3 years ago I got the same warning on the -09 C4S. Shut it down and that cleared it. Got the same warning about a month later. Same process. Shut it down and the warning went away. Then same thing a third time and that time it wouldn't clear no matter how many restarts and the car wouldn't move. So flatbed to the dealer who advised me that the PDK had to be replaced.

Also had the same warning about 6 months ago on my current GTS the day after the 60,000 mile PDK service was done. Car went into limp mode and again, flatbed to the dealer. This time they cleared the fault but couldn't quiet explain what went wrong.
I read your prior posts regarding PDK failure and they terrified me
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

I say the battery or the low temperature.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I read your prior posts regarding PDK failure and they terrified me
Sorry about that. Wasn't my intention. Failures that require replacement are supposedly very rare. It's a great transmission but all the electronics involved seems to be the weak link if there is one since the dealers aren't allowed to do much if any actual repair work on them. That's my only misgiving about the PDK. Obscure electronics over which you have no control can fail and require full replacement of the whole transmission no matter how gently you treat the car and no matter how promptly you comply with the maintenance schedule. As I said in an earlier post, the PDK in my current GTS went into limp mode (which means the car can't be driven) the day after I had the the 60K mile PDK service done at my dealership. "Electronic gremlin" was the best explanation they could come up with.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Three years ago, I got the Red Transmission Emergency Run error on my '09 C4S. I was able to restart the engine and drive home but took it to the dealer to check it out. Their fix was to reflash the PDK software. Fortunately, I was under CPO warranty, so there was no charge.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
Three years ago, I got the Red Transmission Emergency Run error on my '09 C4S. I was able to restart the engine and drive home but took it to the dealer to check it out. Their fix was to reflash the PDK software. Fortunately, I was under CPO warranty, so there was no charge.
Well....there's one more. I think that without exception, every PDK failure of any kind I have experienced, heard or read about have been electronics related. Like having a cheap cell phone at the heart of running the transmission. Will not own a PDK car without a warranty because of this.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 AM
suezen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On mine it was caused by a faulty ignition coil
Old 07-21-2021, 06:40 PM
jgood97
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sorry about that. Wasn't my intention. Failures that require replacement are supposedly very rare. It's a great transmission but all the electronicsso involved seems to be the weak link if there is one since the dealers aren't allowed to do much if any actual repair work on them. That's my only misgiving about the PDK. Obscure electronics over which you have no control can fail and require full replacement of the whole transmission no matter how gently you treat the car and no matter how promptly you comply with the maintenance schedule. As I said in an earlier post, the PDK in my current GTS went into limp mode (which means the car can't be driven) the day after I had the the 60K mile PDK service done at my dealership. "Electronic gremlin" was the best explanation they could come up with.

so what happened with the car I’m having same issue... the car needed to have a transmission replaced and just got rid of it ?
Old 07-22-2021, 03:53 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jgood97
so what happened with the car I’m having same issue... the car needed to have a transmission replaced and just got rid of it ?
Long story short. Can't remember the exact timeline but the "Transmission Emergency Run" warning came on again some time after the 60K mile service along with the PDK going into "Limp Mode". Was cleared twice by turning the car off and restarting. Third time, no luck. Light stayed on and the car stayed in third gear or whatever I was in when the light came on. Flatbed to the dealer and a phone call the next day advising me full replacement was the only fix. Total cost, $20,000 covered by extended warranty.

Observation for what it's worth. At the time of replacement there was not one single 997 PDK unit available in the entire US. At least not at any Porsche dealerships or their warehouses so my replacement unit was flown in from Germany. A $250 deductible to Fidelity and a two year warranty on the replacement unit sums it up.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:05 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

I haven't had this happen since my original posts and have put another 10,000 or so miles on the car. Hope that makes you feel better!

Quick Reply: PDK Transmission Emergency Run