Sponsored by:

997: The best daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:37 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts
Default 997: The best daily driver

From Jacob at 911%: "The car is an amazing daily driver. Its the best daily driver I've ever had. It puts a smile on my face everyday..."

After 2yrs and 25k miles I certainly concur. I just now need to figure out how to get an air cooled weekend car like him...

Old 12-18-2018, 03:26 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't agree more. My 911 puts a smile on my face every morning when I walk out to it and same when I go to leave work. Love it.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Same here. Just an amazing car every day. Every time I drive it I think it shouldn't be possible to be this good.

Interesting to see that he addressed the wind noise with a ski box the same way I did with the Yakima windscreen 40". The bars add a bit of noise with the bike racks up top, but when I swapped out one of the bike racks for my ski box it was loud. The windscreen helped a great deal.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I bought my ‘09 with 19k miles on it. I’ve put 58k more miles on it over the last 5 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. I still look back at it and admire it after I park. I’ve thought about getting a newer one but I like this one too much to let it go.

Its about as as practical as a sports car can get.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I’m new to 911’s I agree that it’s just a fun car to drive as a daily driver. We took our first trip in it and luggage and packing was no problem. A longer stay might present some challenges but nothing that couldn’t be overcome. Unless of course a certain someone couldn’t be convinced that she didn’t need two weeks of clothes for a one week trip!!!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:07 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,633 Likes on 1,664 Posts

+1 for all above. My only regret sometimes is that I dont have a longer commute with faster speeds.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

+1. I bought my '05 in '09, DD'd until early '17 when I began alternating DD between it and a C6 Corvette (far preferred the 997 as a DD). Recently sold Corvette, bought WK2 Jeep GC which is now my DD. 997 now semi-retired to weekend status, which I think it has well deserved after 75K miles and almost 14 years on the road. Still puts a smile on my face every time I walk by it in the garage let alone when I take it out. No desire to get a newer one.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agree!

I bought this C4S from a Rennlister near Albany NY about one month ago as my daily driver. Absolutely love the PDK. As for the mileage, my mechanic likes the fact that many things have already been repaired such as the high pressure DFI pump. This car has excellent service history since 20,000 miles at dealership, so I feel confident this will prove to be a fun and dependable ride! Mileage came from first owner driving to Fort Lauderdale and back each winter. Added clear side markers and Porsche black rubber floor mats. Having Ceramic coating applied as we speak!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I really love having my 06 C2S as a DD. It really it's like I'm not part of traffic. Only the occasional stoplight challenge and those have been easily dispatched. I used to hate driving to work and now it's a joy, even at an average of 22mph on the commute..
Old 12-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I like the idea of dailying my Turbo, and pretty much do, but I personally try not to use it if I'm not going to at least get the oil up to temperature. If I'm just running 2 miles down the road to get something at Target, I'll take a different car or ride my bike.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

I went from a fully built track prepped EVO to a stock B8 Avant Prestige S-Line. both cars were radically deficient in opposite ways. The EVO was so fun during any funtimes but torture as a daily, especially after my first EVO got smashed by a driver texting and I was injured. I immediately built another EVO, and realized I was too hurt to drive it daily. The B8 was so perfect as a daily but boooooooring for much else. For a while I had the EVO and an even boringer Civic when I had first realized I was too injured to drive an EVO every day—but then I further realized I was barely driving the EVO, so it became the typical enthusiast dilemma. I had been shopping for a 911 for a long time when I found my 997 C2S. Even though it is down 100hp/tq from the EVO, and lacks some of the baller bells and whistles of the Avant (ACC/Lane Assist/real cargo space...), I would argue it is the perfectest combo of all the stuff I love about my EVO and all the stuff I loved about the Avant with none of the stuff that bothered me about either.

I have a friend with a 997 GT3. It is so amazing to drive...for about an hour. I am sure I could push it and use it more if it were mine but it is a workout. I never feel that way in my C2S. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have a GT3 but I would much rather DAILY a C2S, which is 85% of the time I spend behind the wheel. I think the Adaptive sports seats are the best seats I have had in any car, and the "sports shift kit" (XCZ) shifts really smooth in traffic once the car is warm. I am also a fan of the PASM but I think it could take a bit more tuning, which I hope to alleviate with a DSC box. Regardless, besides some very minor quips, I am extremely happy with my C2S in the year I have owned it.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I love to drive mine daily too. I just love to drive it, hence how I have put 12,000 miles on it since mid February. No matter what my day has been like I know it will always begin and end in the Porsche and all is well. I sometimes do wish I had a longer commute. 7.5 miles one way is just too short sometimes.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

I’ve driven over 71,000 daily driver miles between my previous 2003 996.2 C2 and current 2011 997.2 GTS and honestly cannot think of any car I’d rather live with every day. 911s are just special, and incredibly reliable and practical on top of the exhilarating performance they deliver. I’ve done everything from countless local commutes, taking the kids to school, driving from SoCal to Dallas and all-out track days, and my 911s always put a smile on my face. Heck, they even make me smile walking away in a parking lot.

Quick Reply: 997: The best daily driver