Sponsored by:

Half the parking lights won’t shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 AM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Half the parking lights won’t shut off

So I run a quick errand just now and on return to my house I park, shut off, turn off the lights, and pull the key but I have an alert stating that I have my parking lights on. I try to ensure things are actually switched off, they are. I get out and the parking lights on only the passenger side are still on!?!?

I’m stumped, anyone have an idea what’s going on here?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your blinker switch is on one way or the other, that side will stay on. Used as an emergency feature for roadside issues.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

As above, common feature on European cars so you can leave side markers on if you are parked up on a narrow street. Comes up every few months on the forums ;-)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 PM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks fellas! I’m guessing this is a classic noob mistake.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:25 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Took me 2 years to find this one. I got a "parking lights on" warning when getting out of the car the other day. After some fiddling I realized it was from the blinker being left on.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This is a European safety feature for cars to parallel park on small narrow streets.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:10 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HAAANK
Yea...scratched my head for a while the first time it happened. Scratched less the second time it happened.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

LOL, no problem, as I originally hail from Europe (well the UK, but lets not talk about that) I'm familiar with this feature as its been on every car I had over there. I never realized it wasn't on US cars until someone asked this question on the forums !
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
LOL, no problem, as I originally hail from Europe (well the UK, but lets not talk about that) I'm familiar with this feature as its been on every car I had over there. I never realized it wasn't on US cars until someone asked this question on the forums !
Typo "wasn't"? The feature is on US cars...I think my 71 911T even had it.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:10 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Yep. Happened to me on day # 2 of ownership. After a few seconds of freaking out, I Googled it and RL was among the first hits. Welcome to the club!
T
Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
I understand what happened, but I am wondering why it is made that way. Could you explain how this feature helps? So is it when you are parking on the street that the side towards the cars is turned on while you are parallel parking?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I understand what happened, but I am wondering why it is made that way. Could you explain how this feature helps? So is it when you are parking on the street that the side towards the cars is turned on while you are parallel parking?
This feature is really not used in the US because most, if not all, streets are wide enough to accommodate at least two cars at a time... even if one is parked. However, this is not the case in Europe and specifically in center of older cities where in some cases there's hardly room for one car.

This "feature" as you state, is a safety mechanism so that drivers can better "see" parked cars in narrow streets and specially those where street lighting might be deficient. The idea is that you light up your left/right blinker towards the side of your car exposed to traffic so that drivers can see and avoid clipping you as they try to pass on narrow streets. BTW, the use of this feature is not intended for all night parking but rather as a temporary means while going into a store, running an errand, etc.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

my daughter bought my granddaughter a used Subaru Outback. The GD was washing her new car ( Grandpa said it was dirty��) and then there was a panic call to me from my daughter. Dad, somethings wrong witht the car. The parking lights came on and won’t shut offf. I said RTFM, well without the expletive. On The Bu, there is a small button on the top of the steering wheel housing marked PL. Same idea.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:53 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
This feature is really not used in the US because most, if not all, streets are wide enough to accommodate at least two cars at a time... even if one is parked. However, this is not the case in Europe and specifically in center of older cities where in some cases there's hardly room for one car.

This "feature" as you state, is a safety mechanism so that drivers can better "see" parked cars in narrow streets and specially those where street lighting might be deficient. The idea is that you light up your left/right blinker towards the side of your car exposed to traffic so that drivers can see and avoid clipping you as they try to pass on narrow streets. BTW, the use of this feature is not intended for all night parking but rather as a temporary means while going into a store, running an errand, etc.
Thanks for the post. I would have never known that. I have never been outside North America.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have never been outside North America.
You don't know what you're missing!

Europe is nothing short of fascinating and once you go there you'll realize all the wonderful times that you missed. Please do yourself a favor and consider your next vacations over there. May and October are great times to travel over there and you can avoid most of the summer "tourist".

I would recommend that you consider Spain and Portugal both for the experience and where you get the most bang for your buck (versus England, France or Germany). For your first trip I recommend that you go via a package tour (a top tier one if you can afford it). They'll handle everything and allow you to enjoy the trip with minimal inconveniences. This way you can see the most important things/regions and which you may want to visit in the future on your own.

Disclaimer: I'm a Spaniard who travels over there twice a year, 2 months at a time. Hence, I'm a bit biased.

Quick Reply: Half the parking lights won’t shut off