Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Half the parking lights won’t shut off (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1117091-half-the-parking-lights-wonit-shut-off.html)

HAAANK 12-06-2018 08:44 AM

Half the parking lights won’t shut off

So I run a quick errand just now and on return to my house I park, shut off, turn off the lights, and pull the key but I have an alert stating that I have my parking lights on. I try to ensure things are actually switched off, they are. I get out and the parking lights on only the passenger side are still on!?!?

I’m stumped, anyone have an idea what’s going on here?

Milo2361 12-06-2018 09:21 AM

If your blinker switch is on one way or the other, that side will stay on. Used as an emergency feature for roadside issues.

Tj40 12-06-2018 09:42 AM

As above, common feature on European cars so you can leave side markers on if you are parked up on a narrow street. Comes up every few months on the forums ;-)

HAAANK 12-06-2018 02:26 PM

Thanks fellas! I’m guessing this is a classic noob mistake.

TheBruce 12-06-2018 03:25 PM

Took me 2 years to find this one. I got a "parking lights on" warning when getting out of the car the other day. After some fiddling I realized it was from the blinker being left on.

LexVan 12-06-2018 03:28 PM

This is a European safety feature for cars to parallel park on small narrow streets.

captainbaker 12-08-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by HAAANK (Post 15479496)

Yea...scratched my head for a while the first time it happened. Scratched less the second time it happened.

Tj40 12-08-2018 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by HAAANK (Post 15479496)

LOL, no problem, as I originally hail from Europe (well the UK, but lets not talk about that) I'm familiar with this feature as its been on every car I had over there. I never realized it wasn't on US cars until someone asked this question on the forums !

jhbrennan 12-08-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tj40 (Post 15483185)
LOL, no problem, as I originally hail from Europe (well the UK, but lets not talk about that) I'm familiar with this feature as its been on every car I had over there. I never realized it wasn't on US cars until someone asked this question on the forums !

Typo "wasn't"? The feature is on US cars...I think my 71 911T even had it.

tomc_mets 12-08-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by HAAANK

Yep. Happened to me on day # 2 of ownership. After a few seconds of freaking out, I Googled it and RL was among the first hits. Welcome to the club!
T

doclouie 12-08-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tj40 (Post 15483185)

I understand what happened, but I am wondering why it is made that way. Could you explain how this feature helps? So is it when you are parking on the street that the side towards the cars is turned on while you are parallel parking?

Astur 12-08-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 15483372)
I understand what happened, but I am wondering why it is made that way. Could you explain how this feature helps? So is it when you are parking on the street that the side towards the cars is turned on while you are parallel parking?

This feature is really not used in the US because most, if not all, streets are wide enough to accommodate at least two cars at a time... even if one is parked. However, this is not the case in Europe and specifically in center of older cities where in some cases there's hardly room for one car.

This "feature" as you state, is a safety mechanism so that drivers can better "see" parked cars in narrow streets and specially those where street lighting might be deficient. The idea is that you light up your left/right blinker towards the side of your car exposed to traffic so that drivers can see and avoid clipping you as they try to pass on narrow streets. BTW, the use of this feature is not intended for all night parking but rather as a temporary means while going into a store, running an errand, etc.

Pmorritt 12-08-2018 12:33 PM

my daughter bought my granddaughter a used Subaru Outback. The GD was washing her new car ( Grandpa said it was dirty��) and then there was a panic call to me from my daughter. Dad, somethings wrong witht the car. The parking lights came on and won’t shut offf. I said RTFM, well without the expletive. On The Bu, there is a small button on the top of the steering wheel housing marked PL. Same idea.

doclouie 12-08-2018 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Astur (Post 15483470)
This feature is really not used in the US because most, if not all, streets are wide enough to accommodate at least two cars at a time... even if one is parked. However, this is not the case in Europe and specifically in center of older cities where in some cases there's hardly room for one car.

This "feature" as you state, is a safety mechanism so that drivers can better "see" parked cars in narrow streets and specially those where street lighting might be deficient. The idea is that you light up your left/right blinker towards the side of your car exposed to traffic so that drivers can see and avoid clipping you as they try to pass on narrow streets. BTW, the use of this feature is not intended for all night parking but rather as a temporary means while going into a store, running an errand, etc.

Thanks for the post. I would have never known that. I have never been outside North America.

Astur 12-09-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 15483625)
I have never been outside North America.

You don't know what you're missing!

Europe is nothing short of fascinating and once you go there you'll realize all the wonderful times that you missed. Please do yourself a favor and consider your next vacations over there. May and October are great times to travel over there and you can avoid most of the summer "tourist".

I would recommend that you consider Spain and Portugal both for the experience and where you get the most bang for your buck (versus England, France or Germany). For your first trip I recommend that you go via a package tour (a top tier one if you can afford it). They'll handle everything and allow you to enjoy the trip with minimal inconveniences. This way you can see the most important things/regions and which you may want to visit in the future on your own.

Disclaimer: I'm a Spaniard who travels over there twice a year, 2 months at a time. Hence, I'm a bit biased. :)