Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
The omniscient internet says PTX.

The feedback on Motul 300 is that it still isn't as good.
Actually, your owner's manual says "PTX". At least if does in my 2009 manual.

I guess we humans have such a conspiracy theory bias that we naturally assume that if it is recommended, the reason must be some sort of payoff or that we can just do it "better". All I know is that it is in my manual and it worked.

Regarding Motul, I believe the GL4.5 is new product.... so who knows? The proof is changing it out when you have the 1st gear jam, and see if it solved it. The effect is pretty binary.... it works or it doesn't. Improved is a fail in my book because the PTX fixes the problem (for me).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-07-2018, 01:46 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
From the trans fluid chart, the Liqui Moly seems reasonably close to PTX including whats listed as actual value at 0 degree. It's half the cost. I will probably try PTX within a year to see if it smooths shifting in the cold Ohio weather. Somebody must have tried Liqui Moly and not had trans blow up, any thoughts from those users? I don't mind paying for the most expensive option, but I don't mind saving 50% either.
I am using Liqui Molly and am from Ohio, nothing has blown up yet
Old 12-08-2018, 12:02 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Actually, your owner's manual says "PTX". At least if does in my 2009 manual.

I guess we humans have such a conspiracy theory bias that we naturally assume that if it is recommended, the reason must be some sort of payoff or that we can just do it "better". All I know is that it is in my manual and it worked.

Regarding Motul, I believe the GL4.5 is new product.... so who knows? The proof is changing it out when you have the 1st gear jam, and see if it solved it. The effect is pretty binary.... it works or it doesn't. Improved is a fail in my book because the PTX fixes the problem (for me).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I haven't read your other threads and maybe you said it there but did you try any other brands first? Maybe just changing the fluid did it. With only 10k miles on my car (I believe in early post break in changes) I drained and filled with Castrol syntrax and couldn't believe how much better it seemed to shift.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:26 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

With 30,000 miles, I had my indy change the fluid. The factory recommends 100K+ miles. The indy used Redline fluild (as he uses for all the race prep cars he builds and maintains). The result was terrible. Harder shifts into first and second both when cold and even when warmed up. Switched back to PTX and the shifting was back to normal, smooth engagement. The factory puts in PTX for a reason. I would use best efforts to secure it from one of the mail order Porsche dealership parts depts.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Is PTX available from chain auto parts stores in the US? I typically hop over the border for shopping purposes and would then aim to grab some if readily available.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Is PTX available from chain auto parts stores in the US? I typically hop over the border for shopping purposes and would then aim to grab some if readily available.
No, it has to be ordered from one of the specialty parts places - Suncoast, Sunset, etc. They buy it in bulk and then ship it to you in containers from other fluids that they clean out prior to filling with the PTX you purchased.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:02 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No, it has to be ordered from one of the specialty parts places - Suncoast, Sunset, etc. They buy it in bulk and then ship it to you in containers from other fluids that they clean out prior to filling with the PTX you purchased.
Good to know, will plan accordingly!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I changed my gear-oil this past weekend using Mobil Delvac 75w-90. Are these gearboxes sensitive enough to a particular manufacturer's recipe of gear oil to warrant me draining new Delvac?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arctic997
So, I changed my gear-oil this past weekend using Mobil Delvac 75w-90. Are these gearboxes sensitive enough to a particular manufacturer's recipe of gear oil to warrant me draining new Delvac?
They seem to be. How's your shifting? If it's not perfect, I'd say it might be worth a drain and refill. If it's fine, then wait until it's not as long as the Delvac fluid meets the required Porsche spec.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

They seem to be. How's your shifting? If it's not perfect, I'd say it might be worth a drain and refill. If it's fine, then wait until it's not as long as the Delvac fluid meets the required Porsche spec.
Shoot. I won't know how it shifts for a while, it's hibernating until May. Guess I'll just wrestle with anxiety until I preemptively change it, or test it out in the spring. Wish I'd have looked into this sooner. Hindsight. Always 20/20.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arctic997
Shoot. I won't know how it shifts for a while, it's hibernating until May. Guess I'll just wrestle with anxiety until I preemptively change it, or test it out in the spring. Wish I'd have looked into this sooner. Hindsight. Always 20/20.
If you end up changing it, get the magnetic oil pan drain plug from LN Engineering and replace your lower transmission drain plug with it too for extra insurance. Will trap ferrous debris in the trans and keep it from floating around in there. If you don't have one in your oil sump already, buy 2.

https://lnengineering.com/billet-al-...e-s-turbo.html
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Delvac does not meet the Porsche spec denoted in my 2009 manual. It is a GL4 (typo, GL5), the spec in my manual is GL4.5.... one is for differentials, the other transmissions. We have transaxles hence the mid-formulation.

Some interesting read... author says you have to rely on the manufacturer to tell you what it specs..... https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

As I have noted before, my local dealership filled only with Delvac... didn't even stock the PTX (this was true 2 years ago). Is this OK? Not for me. Pretty upsetting my owner's manual specs one thing, the dealer fills with something else and was totally unaware of the spec. I exchanged some emails with another Rennlister who noted his dealer got angry with him when he presented the spec in the manual.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-15-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

If you end up changing it, get the magnetic oil pan drain plug from LN Engineering and replace your lower transmission drain plug with it too for extra insurance. Will trap ferrous debris in the trans and keep it from floating around in there. If you don't have one in your oil sump already, buy 2.

https://lnengineering.com/billet-al-...e-s-turbo.html
Roger that. Just ordered them off Amazon. Thanks Petza.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Delvac does not meet the Porsche spec denoted in my 2009 manual. It is a GL4, the spec in my manual is GL4.5.... one is for differentials, the other transmissions. We have transaxles hence the mid-formulation.

Some interesting read... author says you have to rely on the manufacturer to tell you what it specs..... https://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

As I have noted before, my local dealership filled only with Delvac... didn't even stock the PTX (this was true 2 years ago). Is this OK? Not for me. Pretty upsetting my owner's manual specs one thing, the dealer fills with something else and was totally unaware of the spec. I exchanged some emails with another Rennlister who noted his dealer got angry with him when he presented the spec in the manual.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Not to muddy the waters, but the Delvac is rated at GL 5.

I remember now the rabbit-hole I went down last winter, and why I went with it when I ordered it...and then let it sit on a shelf waiting for the next (this current) hibernation/modification/maintenance season: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-to-use-2.html Seems Delvac was the preferred choice at some point in the past.

I'm going to order some PTX to have on hand, but will probably at least give the Delvac a shot in the spring.

Last edited by Arctic997; 01-15-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Blashphemy and Dead Horses- PTX Humbug