Sponsored by:

Passenger side lower cigarette lighter and dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Dennis_said
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side lower cigarette lighter and dash cam

hey guys I discovered the passenger side charger on the lower leg portion of the front passenger seat!

I installed my dash cam last night and noticed that the power stays on after the car is turned off. I've manually turned off the dash cam but am curious if there's any way to make this cigarette lighter turn off as the car turns off too? I want to make sure my battery doesn't get drained--and also the added convenience of the camera just turning off when the car does.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My radar and dashcam are hardwired to the fuse box and the wires hide easily between the windshield and dashboard / trim. They do not stay on after you turn the car off (though that can be arranged for too, if your dashcam has a parking mode). It's actually a pretty easy DIY. Look up coochas valentine hardwire install on this site.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also use the same outlet for my dash cam. I think it turns off after sometime as I don’t see the camera power on after a couple of hours.
would love to know how long the power stays on when the car is turned off.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,634 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Been using that plug for my dash cams.
Nice to be able to leave it on while parked in some circumstances.
Think I'm going to hard wire it, but use a switch to turn it on and off.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:28 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I would not turn the dash cam off when you park the car. That is when I am more concerned that something will happen to it. I use a module called a Power Magic Pro to run the dash cam when I turn off the car, but it monitors the battery voltage and will turn off if the battery gets too low. That way you always will have the juice to start the car. Very easy to hard wire the dash cam into the car and the module is small enough that it fits behind the fuse panel so you never see it.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

You can tap into switched 12 V behind the overhead panel which controls the dome lights and the sunroof
let me know if you want details
Old 12-04-2018, 04:49 AM
Dennis_said
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
You can tap into switched 12 V behind the overhead panel which controls the dome lights and the sunroof
let me know if you want details
Yeah! Absolutely I'll take details thanks Hatzenbach thanks guys for the feedback I think I will also check the dash cam to see if it turns off on it's own--I don't understand why the cigarette lighter can't just turn off when the car turns off =T
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

The footwell socket is always active as its intended purpose was for the battery maintainer.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Unless you have a power manager like doclouie, using the footwell socket (always powered) and a dashcam with motion or vibration sensing activation will have you return to a car that won't start, especially if parked in a busy area where it is constantly activating.

I have my dashcams and radar detectors on switched circuits so they're only on with the ignition, tapped in to the overhead console wiring. If parked in an airport garage or similar those places usually have cameras if something happens.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,634 Likes on 1,665 Posts

My blackview has parking mode which uses much less power. It activates if the car is hit.
I have accidentally left it on all day or overnight with no issues starting the car.
Might be different with an older battery or cold weather though.
I really like being able to leave it on when I go into a store or restaurant for an hour or two.
YRMV

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I also have a BlackVue DR-900, 2 channel. Great dash cam. I have always had the Power Magic Pro so I have never had any starting issues. Once when I left it alone for like 5 days it stopped recording as the battery dropped down to 12.5 volts.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis_said
Yeah! Absolutely I'll take details thanks Hatzenbach thanks guys for the feedback I think I will also check the dash cam to see if it turns off on it's own--I don't understand why the cigarette lighter can't just turn off when the car turns off =T
Here is a description on how to wire a 12V radar detector into the 12V in the overhead panel:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-a.html

You need to do an extra step:
since your dash cam wants 5V from a micro-USB you need to order one of those:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2DGJD2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2DGJD2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There's enough space up there to tug it in, i just trimmed the cable on the 12V side

they come in left angle and right angle, make sure you order the one that fits your installation

Quick Reply: Passenger side lower cigarette lighter and dash cam