Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trade 997.1 C4 for a 1981 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Financially, this would be an excellent trade in your favor.

The SC coupes' rapid increase in value has leveled off to a plateau that it will likely stay at for some time where as the 997's (especially a non S or better model) are rapidly depreciating.

If you get the SC and decide you want to go back to a 997, you'll have no problem selling and probably even profiting from the sale of the air cooled car. The longer you wait to scratch that itch, the more it will cost you.

If you decide against the trade, please let me know. I'd be happy to trade my 997 for that car.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by producerjohn

The SC coupes' rapid increase in value has leveled off to a plateau that it will likely stay at for some time where as the 997's (especially a non S or better model) are rapidly depreciating.

If you get the SC and decide you want to go back to a 997, you'll have no problem selling and probably even profiting from the sale of the air cooled car. The longer you wait to scratch that itch, the more it will cost you.

If you decide against the trade, please let me know. I'd be happy to trade my 997 for that car.
“Rapidly depreciating?” Really? 997.1s with <50k miles been in the low 40s for couple years now. 997.2s are climbing.....
Old 12-03-2018, 11:39 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Great advice here. Thanks all.

I agree with Pete, this would make most sense as an additional (fourth) car rather than a replacement for the 997. Unfortunately, garage space is limiting and I don't want to be thrown out of the house for bring back another car. Still intrigued, however, as I do believe the well taken care of SCs will continue to appreciate and I think it *might* work out in my favor.

Lately, I've been driving the 997 every day and even in traffic it has been super fun. Maybe that's the sign I need to hang on to it
Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I will never understand the nostalgia for any of the cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s, even though I grew up with them. The average modern Toyota or Honda sedan will out-perform and out-handle anything made in those days. I wouldn't mind driving one of these old Porsches for 1/2 hour, just for comparison. But, I sure wouldn't spend good money on one.
I've taken my 3.2 on two 12 hour (one day) trips to the Smokey mountains, beat on it (Tail of the Dragon) and drove it back another 12 hours (one day.)

Then we drove it 5200 miles to Luft5 and back, often driving 800 miles in a day. And we beat on it driving the fantastic canyon roads near LA and setting the cruise on 115mph across Utah.

I can sit in my car for 12 hours no problem, stopping only once for fuel, food and a bathroom break. Driving in the 997 for any amount of time hurts my back and upsets my stomach for unknown reasons.

Originally Posted by producerjohn

According to Haggerty, my 3.2 has appreciated more than $10k since January of this year. The 997 has depreciated almost that much.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

997s depreciation has pretty much stopped and sell price is now more about options, condition, and service history. A 997.1 S with 60k miles or fewer can sell anywhere from high 20s to low 40s today regardless of what the Hagerty, NADA, or excellence valuation tables say. The older air-cooled 911 will probably continue to slowly rise though.

Driving the older Porsches is more about the experience than the conveyance. I rent a lot of cars for work including the mentioned Camry and it's big brother, the Avalon. They're just conveyances and I can't wait to turn them back in. If that's all you're looking for in a car, you don't need to spend time in a Porsche forum and those are the vehicles that are a "waste of good money" IMO unless you only have 1 car and it has to just work every single day. No kid goes for a ride in a Camry and then lusts after one for 30 years.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
997s depreciation has pretty much stopped and sell price is now more about options, condition, and service history. A 997.1 S with 60k miles or fewer can sell anywhere from high 20s to low 40s today regardless of what the Hagerty, NADA, or excellence valuation tables say. The older air-cooled 911 will probably continue to slowly rise though.

Driving the older Porsches is more about the experience than the conveyance. I rent a lot of cars for work including the mentioned Camry and it's big brother, the Avalon. They're just conveyances and I can't wait to turn them back in. If that's all you're looking for in a car, you don't need to spend time in a Porsche forum and those are the vehicles that are a "waste of good money" IMO unless you only have 1 car and it has to just work every single day. No kid goes for a ride in a Camry and then lusts after one for 30 years.
Well said
Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM
groovy dude
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I own both (997.1 C2 & '82SC), and I think the difference is mainly that you'll want to start futzing with your SC immediately. I was lucky to find a 997 that had a very tasteful set of body mods and a bluetooth stereo, but besides that I wouldn't want to touch that car, it's nearly perfect as is. As for the SC, it's almost 40 years old and you'll want to start replacing and updating parts. And there's a lot one can do to hot rod & backdate this car to make it more interesting and personal than stock. Someone already mentioned the AC issue, and perhaps being in Huston the first thing you'll want to do is upgrade the compressor. If you do the trade, I think you'll start looking at all the interesting builds out there and if you're like me you'll get the bug. I enjoy the projects and the vintage vibe (and sound!!!) of the SC, but stock the 997 is more pleasant to drive. If I had to sell one though it would be a tough decision.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovy dude
I own both (997.1 C2 & '82SC), and I think the difference is mainly that you'll want to start futzing with your SC immediately. I was lucky to find a 997 that had a very tasteful set of body mods and a bluetooth stereo, but besides that I wouldn't want to touch that car, it's nearly perfect as is. As for the SC, it's almost 40 years old and you'll want to start replacing and updating parts. And there's a lot one can do to hot rod & backdate this car to make it more interesting and personal than stock. Someone already mentioned the AC issue, and perhaps being in Huston the first thing you'll want to do is upgrade the compressor. If you do the trade, I think you'll start looking at all the interesting builds out there and if you're like me you'll get the bug. I enjoy the projects and the vintage vibe (and sound!!!) of the SC, but stock the 997 is more pleasant to drive. If I had to sell one though it would be a tough decision.
Pics of the 997 with body mods?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 PM
groovy dude
Advanced

Pics of the 997 with body mods?
Here you go

Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovy dude
Here you go

That sir, is very cool. I don't recognize the front lip or side skirts, the rear bumper. Looks like GT3Tek, but I've never seen that rear spoiler before, which is really cool. Almost like a cross between a duck tail and a 993 Turbo whale tale or tea tray with the turned up sides.

Do you know where all those parts come from?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 PM
groovy dude
Advanced

The lip and skirts are GT3Tek. The rear bumper is a GT3 knock-off as well. They were all sold and installed at Better Bodies Motorsports in San Diego. The spoiler is made by a guy in Florida, his shop is called Fiberwerx. He only does custom work now, but he was selling the tails individually not long ago. Apparently there are very few of them out there. I agree the spoiler is reminiscent a 993 turbo, which I think it one of the nicest Porsche ever designed. I've only had the car a little over a month. I'll do a real photo shoot one of these days.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn Groove, that black 356 is all that is right in this world.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I'd say do it. There is something about the air cooled cars that just can't be replicated. As I've spent more time on the track, I realized that having even base 997 levels of performance on the street is kinda boring, as you can't really use the handling capabilities. When you strip that out, you end up with a nice car, but without a hell of a lot of character. The older cars you can beat on without going to jail and you get the charm of an older era. who cares if you can't out accelerate a camry...thats not really the point of an older car. Neither can a 300sl gullwing, but I know what I'd rather be in. My 997 is for sale but my 993 is sticking around.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
My 997 is for sale but my 993 is sticking around.
Can't believe you're selling the 997

What's the replacement?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Can't believe you're selling the 997

What's the replacement?
Sad to say but a cayenne s. too many performance coupes, Not enough time or space to use them all

Quick Reply: Would you trade 997.1 C4 for a 1981 SC?