Rennlist Spec Maintenance Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Rennlist Spec Maintenance Success

Rennlisters,

Using the many resources here on Rennlist, I completed a very satisfying list of maintenance items to my 2006 Carrera S with 56600 miles (I bought the car in August '18).

I put the car up on four jackstands.Bled the brakes and clutch
I used ATE Type 200 and a Motive power bleeder.
The process was very straightforward with the tools and information.

Changed the oil
Captured a sample and sent it off to Blackstone
Replaced the oil drain plug with a magnetic one from Pelican
Tore apart the filter element and found nothing more than a few small specs of metal
Spread out and carefully examined the residual oil in the filter housing with no debris found
Poured in exactly 9 quarts of Mobile 1 0W-40
Subsequent oil quantity measurement was perfect showing full up to the top arrow and the topmost segment unlit.
Drained and replaced the manual transmission gear oil
It shifts like a hot knife through butter (but really it shifted fine before I did the change)
Replaced air filterReplaced cabin air filterReplaced the batteries in the key fobs
I have all the DIY authors linked above and all the other members who contributed additional information to thank for clear directions, lists of materials, tools and advice on how to perform these tasks.

My next big project will be replacement of the water pump (preventative), coolant reservoir (crack visible but no sign of leaking yet) and possibly the AOS. The folks at Suncoast told me that the AOS on my '06 S does not have a high failure rate and I have none of the usual symptoms so I'm on the fence about replacing it while I have it apart for the other items. Suggestions?

Again, thank you all!

Scott
Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

What about the spark plugs?!
Old 12-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Congrats on the DIY!!!

Oil overfill can cause AOS failure. 9 quarts is a lot to put back in unless you measured the removed oil and verified 9 quarts came out (or 8 came out but you started a quart down) . I've never found a need to add more than 7.5 quarts, even when draining overnight.

Ideally your oil would be a mark down on the measurement. Fortunately on the 997.1 you can remove a bit at a time by emptying the filter canister.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 12-02-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,168 Likes on 3,932 Posts

On a .1, as long as you measured with the engine cold (like first thing in the morning) and the car sitting on level ground and you're right at the top arrow ,you're fine. If you measured not long after the oil change, you're probably going to be too full this morning as the rest of it drips down to the pan overnight. I always add 8 quarts on the refill and then adjust over the next couple days based on the morning readings, but 8.5 quarts is what usually makes it perfect. Ignore any oil level readings other than the one taken first thing in the morning.

If you find you're overfill, you can follow Wayne's advice, unscrew the filter, dump the contents, reattach, run the motor to refill it, and repeat until you get to the right level, which I'm thinking will take you 2-3 cycles.

Nice work on the rest of the list though!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Matthew Yonan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very helpful! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Spark plugs and coils were done just prior to my purchase of the car. Thank you though for the suggestion.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Thats next on my maintenance list. Not looking forward to it after reading about everyone else doing it.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
Thats next on my maintenance list. Not looking forward to it after reading about everyone else doing it.
Don't sweat it. You can spend more time fretting than it takes to do the job!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine

Its on my short list too along with new motor mounts. I have a low hanging exhaust tip on one side and the rear feels a bit unstable. This is the best place ever for maintenance tips and DIY's Well worth the cost of a membership.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 911URGE
Its on my short list too along with new motor mounts. I have a low hanging exhaust tip on one side and the rear feels a bit unstable. This is the best place ever for maintenance tips and DIY's Well worth the cost of a membership.
I just did the RSS motor mounts. I would definitely recommend them
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
On a .1, as long as you measured with the engine cold (like first thing in the morning) and the car sitting on level ground and you're right at the top arrow ,you're fine. If you measured not long after the oil change, you're probably going to be too full this morning as the rest of it drips down to the pan overnight. I always add 8 quarts on the refill and then adjust over the next couple days based on the morning readings, but 8.5 quarts is what usually makes it perfect. Ignore any oil level readings other than the one taken first thing in the morning.

If you find you're overfill, you can follow Wayne's advice, unscrew the filter, dump the contents, reattach, run the motor to refill it, and repeat until you get to the right level, which I'm thinking will take you 2-3 cycles.

Nice work on the rest of the list though!
I reviewed the Oil Change DIY linked above fully and saw debate about 8, 8.5 and 9 quarts and topping up where required. In the end I was convinced by those that put in 9 quarts with success. I checked my oil level after the initial drive and first thing in the morning with consistent results at the top arrow.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,168 Likes on 3,932 Posts

Originally Posted by campbesl
I reviewed the Oil Change DIY linked above fully and saw debate about 8, 8.5 and 9 quarts and topping up where required. In the end I was convinced by those that put in 9 quarts with success. I checked my oil level after the initial drive and first thing in the morning with consistent results at the top arrow.
I've never seen the oil level read the same after a drive once the timer counts down and first thing in the morning. Check it a 3 times in a row tomorrow morning before starting the car and see if you get the same reading all 3 times. If so and you're at the top arrow and not all the way up the gauge, you're good.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Will do Petza914, thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Spec Maintenance Success