Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0011 “Camshaft Timing A Bank 1 Timing Advanced To Far”

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Sunset's description is wrong. The part number 99610530306 is correct and it is a solenoid. Here's a pic of it.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Parts ordered. One note is that there is a screen that sits between the solenoid and adjuster. IMO the screen has just as much likelihood of being problematic, I bought the screen as well.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:53 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

So just an update. The solenoid still isn’t here, but I received the screen. Looking at the design I can definitely see that it could be problematic both from clogging and it has its own check valve. The CEL has not returned but the Durametric picked up the code. The issue definitely seems oil pressure related and seems to happen when the car is in a prewarmed condition. My cam deviations are .27-.29 bank 1 and .79-.82 bank 2 (holds steady but seems to vary on the day). These are very low deviations, which is good. I tracked cam angles vs nominal and bank 1 does not seem to track as well as bank 2, most notably if go to say 3k then lift, like between shifts and when cold.

To me this is saying solenoid or screen vs the actuator, I would expect a sticking actuator to be more of a consistent issue, although the only real way to know is to toss on the new solenoid and screen.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:59 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

The solenoid you are referring to, is that for the timing or valve lift? I got CEL codes for misfires on bank 1 all cylinders and it was the valve lift solenoid that needed to be replaced
Old 12-15-2018, 12:40 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Finally got the new solenoid and screen installed. It was a pretty easy task, the hardest most nerve wracking part was fishing the old screen out and putting the new one in. The screen is inside the engine a good ways and you have to use a long magnet. There is no specific orientation of the screen (I had to call my local indy to confirm). The solenoid does have an orientation but you can’t screw it up due to a prominent pin and notch.

One intreating thing is that the screen design changed significantly. I had to call the pats place that I bought from to confirm, but it was revised. The old design has an internal baffle and is far more complex than the new, maybe this is what restricts oil flow and causes issues that I experienced.

So I only started it and bank 1 does seem to respond better although without driving it I won’t know for sure. It is raining here so it is doubtful I get to take it for a drive. The cam deviations changed slightly, possibly from a change in pressure going to the system? It wasn’t drastic, just a few thenths on each bank, but they were a touch different.

I will post pictures of the screens in a few.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:45 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Old 01-06-2019, 04:30 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

So to put this to rest, it seems it was the solenoid and/or screen. Upon driving bank 1 responds noticeably better, in fact now bank 2 is slightly slower to respond in an off throttle back on blip. The code has not showed back up after a couple hundred miles, not even on the Durametric.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you got it sorted
Old 06-21-2020, 04:45 PM
brettfcars
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz

Hi,
which way up are the above screens fitted ?
not much info is out there should the rubber part go towards the actuator ?
i am rebuilding one and wish I had more photos of the disassembly !
thanks
Brett
Old 06-21-2020, 07:28 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brettfcars
Hi,
which way up are the above screens fitted ?
not much info is out there should the rubber part go towards the actuator ?
i am rebuilding one and wish I had more photos of the disassembly !
thanks
Brett

Man it has been a while, I think the o-ring goes in first but that is really just a guess, I am not 100% sure.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:42 AM
brettfcars
7th Gear

Thumbs up

Hi,
spent some time this morning searching the World Wide Web.
and after a few dead ends found a downloadable 997 manual.
it includes the following photo.

Rubber seal is to the top. So in last.
This makes sense as there is an oil way in the actuator it aligns with.
up the other way it would be sealed off.

Are the later strainers an improvement, you mentioned faster reaction time ?

cheers Brett

Last edited by brettfcars; 06-22-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Info added
The following users liked this post:
e30rapidic (05-12-2021)
Old 05-10-2023, 01:23 PM
peppy63
AutoX

Default 996TT

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Finally got the new solenoid and screen installed. It was a pretty easy task, the hardest most nerve wracking part was fishing the old screen out and putting the new one in. The screen is inside the engine a good ways and you have to use a long magnet. There is no specific orientation of the screen (I had to call my local indy to confirm). The solenoid does have an orientation but you can’t screw it up due to a prominent pin and notch.

One intreating thing is that the screen design changed significantly. I had to call the pats place that I bought from to confirm, but it was revised. The old design has an internal baffle and is far more complex than the new, maybe this is what restricts oil flow and causes issues that I experienced.

So I only started it and bank 1 does seem to respond better although without driving it I won’t know for sure. It is raining here so it is doubtful I get to take it for a drive. The cam deviations changed slightly, possibly from a change in pressure going to the system? It wasn’t drastic, just a few thenths on each bank, but they were a touch different.

I will post pictures of the screens in a few.
How many valve control are there?
Old 05-10-2023, 03:10 PM
peppy63
AutoX

where exactly is it located

Quick Reply: P0011 “Camshaft Timing A Bank 1 Timing Advanced To Far”