Looking for help with a 997.2 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:01 PM
IceMan22
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help with a 997.2 turbo

Hey guys,

A little background.......Recently sold my z06 and am looking at pursuing a used Porsche or a GTR. Loved the Z but hated the short season that comes with owning RWD in central NY. Was dead set on a 14-15 GTR but recently was given the opportunity to drive a ‘17 GTR and the interior is just leaps and bounds compared to the 09-16. This caused me to start looking at only ‘17’s and I quickly realized the ‘17 GTR price point put me right in the heart of the 2010-2013 911 turbos. It also puts me right in the middle of the 2013-2015 carrera 4s price point . Would be pursing a PDK optioned car in either variant.

Just went and drove a 2011 911 turbo and fell in love. The car just feels so much more refined and smaller on the road. Have not had the opportunity to drive a carrera 4s as the dealership did not have one.

Onto the questions:

1) Can anyone direct me to a thread or list the differences in year between 2010 to 2013 911 turbos? I know the Vette inside and out but not a thing about the 911. Esssentially I’m trying to figure out if I need to be looking at a particular year or if they’re all the same? For instance, don’t want to buy a ‘10 only to find out the ‘11+ came with a better “X” or different “Y”.

2) This may sound like a really dumb and obvious question but is there really major difference between a 997.2 turbo and a 991 C4s? Wondering if I’d prefer the newer platform at the side effect of having to give up some HP/TQ or if the 997.2 turbo is just so much better that I’d be crazy to look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

-Sean
Old 11-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2010 4S and you cant even come close to the limits on normal roads where I live. I think you will miss torque if you go from a Z06 to a 4S.

I'm sure plenty will disagree with me but, something to consider, if 0-60 is important to you, the 4S isnt going to shove you back in your seat like a turbo or V8. I thought really hard about a used Panamera Turbo before buying my 2010 911 simply for this reason alone (Turbo 911 was out of my price range). Also, its pretty difficult to get the 4S tail happy on the road, even under spirited driving.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Coming from the z06, you're going to want the Turbo for similar acceleration. The 991 is a completely different car than the 997 - it's longer, wider, and more GT like vs sports car. It is fancier inside if you care about electronic gadgets and screens. The 997 is the more driver focused car, but you should drive both and decide which you prefer.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellence Magazine has a very good Buyer's Guide for about $15 that details all Porsche models. I've found it to be a very useful reference. They've also got ads on their website (excellence-mag.com). This forum has Turbo sections, so you'd probably get a lot of information there.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

The low-end performance of the NA Porsche engine is pretty weak, compared to a GTR or Z06. You are aware that all 2017 models are turbocharged?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM
IceMan22
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I have a 2010 4S and you cant even come close to the limits on normal roads where I live. I think you will miss torque if you go from a Z06 to a 4S.

I'm sure plenty will disagree with me but, something to consider, if 0-60 is important to you, the 4S isnt going to shove you back in your seat like a turbo or V8. I thought really hard about a used Panamera Turbo before buying my 2010 911 simply for this reason alone (Turbo 911 was out of my price range). Also, its pretty difficult to get the 4S tail happy on the road, even under spirited driving.
Thanks for the reminder on the TQ. I will admit I’ve become quite fond of a TQ “line” instead of a TQ curve.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Coming from the z06, you're going to want the Turbo for similar acceleration. The 991 is a completely different car than the 997 - it's longer, wider, and more GT like vs sports car. It is fancier inside if you care about electronic gadgets and screens. The 997 is the more driver focused car, but you should drive both and decide which you prefer.
I’ll definitely check out a 991. Upon internal reflection I probably prefer the styling of the 991 more but I didn’t realize it was a bigger car in every dimension.

Originally Posted by swingwing
Excellence Magazine has a very good Buyer's Guide for about $15 that details all Porsche models. I've found it to be a very useful reference. They've also got ads on their website (excellence-mag.com). This forum has Turbo sections, so you'd probably get a lot of information there.
Thanks for the link and the lead on the turbo section. I feel like such a noob, I didn’t even notice their was a 997 turbo section till you commented

Originally Posted by Balr14
The low-end performance of the NA Porsche engine is pretty weak, compared to a GTR or Z06. You are aware that all 2017 models are turbocharged?
Glad you mentioned that. My commute is basically 2 multi lane roads with a 55mph speed zone but a decent amount of traffic lights scattered about so I do enjoy the “red light performance” of a vehicle with the ability to get off the line well.

As for the ‘17, I know they all went turbo but I think a 2017 C4S is going to be a little bit above budget and still at the steep depreciation part of its life
Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Be helpful here and tell us what your budget is. I'm 11 months into first time Porsche ownership and will tell you that my '09 997.2 Carrera is an outstanding car - for me. Base car, manual transmission and few options. I bought it for the whole driving experience, and it's giving me that. At 345hp it's got plenty of power. My recommendation: As you're new to Porsche (as I am) resist the temptation to buy more car than you really need or can use. Get a decent car within your budget and start learning how and for what reasons Porsche puts these cars together. My impression is that if I want More Porsche I can sell what I've got and move up. Join PCA on the Test Drive membership and you'll get full access to members' For Sale ads. In my opinion buying from an enthusiast owner is the way to get a well-sorted used car.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

The 2010-2013 turbo and turbo s’s are basically unchanged whereas the non turbo cars became the 991.
turbo 500 hp
turbo S 530hp (only PDK) when chipped they both end up being the same hp.
997:2 turbo sticks are about 20k more than a .1 car and rather hard to find for sale.
important options: stick(turbo only), active engine mounts (included with the S) limited slip (included with the S), PCCB brakes...(zero brake dust nd incredible stopping but delicate rotors), full leather interior( included with the S)

im sure I have missed a couple of things.... as a stick turbo driver ...I have to say, you could find a sick GTS (997.2 or 991j and you would be totally happy... the sound, stick, and noise are just intoxicating attributes that cost you a lot more in turbo form.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 PM
IceMan22
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by swingwing
Be helpful here and tell us what your budget is.
No problem

95k. Only interested in a pdk car
Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I think the PDK kicks ***, compared to any other transmission I've tried. A turbo 997.2 with Sport Chrono and PDK would be sweet.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm in a similar position. Looking for 997.2 Turbo (but I want a manual). They are relatively hard to find, but the PDK cars come up for sale far more often than manuals. It seems like $90-105K is the sweet spot, depending on mileage, options, etc. The earlier 991 Turbos are low $100s and since they're all PDKs, you may want to look into those as well. It's a completely different car, so worth checking both out in person. I'd be in for a 991 Turbo, especially if you're getting close to 997.2 Turbo money, but no manual option ruled it out for me. Back to your original question - I'd rule the C4 out altogether based on your power expectations.

Quick Reply: Looking for help with a 997.2 turbo