Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on car history

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:27 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Just remember, when it comes time to sell, prospective buyers are gonna be looking at this same information and running away.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The owner should have told you all of this information because you can bet your butt they did all of the same research you did. If the owner was upfront about everything that would be better, but they're not, run away.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by cannonball05
If Jon Voight was the previous owner I would buy it.
You mean John Voight, DDS? I think he prefers LeBarons.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:19 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

no, the bad thing about knowing is that you are obligated to tell a potential purchaser if there is a reasonable chance that what you know would be important to the potential purchaser's decision. to do otherwise is fraud.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is six months gap between stolen and recovered. That explains why this vehicle has ended in auction. Stolen car owner reported and got paid from insurance company, and insurance company sold the car through auction (Easiest way to get rid of the car). If the title is clean, that auction 'salvage bid' sells car with clean title through auction. Auction company title is confusion, but call them to check if every car they sell are with salvage title.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:07 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

You mean John Voight, DDS? I think he prefers LeBarons.
Oh that's right....its John Voight, DDS and yes he does like Lebarons!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
no, the bad thing about knowing is that you are obligated to tell a potential purchaser if there is a reasonable chance that what you know would be important to the potential purchaser's decision. to do otherwise is fraud.
Originally Posted by Austin997.2
The owner should have told you all of this information because you can bet your butt they did all of the same research you did. If the owner was upfront about everything that would be better, but they're not, run away.
Well I can definitely say I wasn't mislead. In fact I wasn't anything. I responded to a Craigslist sale ad. The whole thing was kind of weird. I responded to the ad asking if it was still for sale. The responded yes it is. No info, just that it had been winterized. Every query was replied to by 2 sentences or less. I asked for the VIN to run a Carfax and they(he,she?)gave and asked when I would be coming. This was all through email through Craigslist. I finally responded yesterday with a "you have a beautiful car but I think I'm going to pass on it" and all I got was a "thank you" in response.
Just weird.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Some people just don’t understand sales. It isn’t rocket science but I am still occasionally surprised at how inept some people are at selling things.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
I notified the owner (private seller) that I'm not interested. Too much drama with this one. I suspect there is something wrong with it because the current and previous owner both are selling the car with less than 6 months ownership. At this point even with a solid PPI I would always wonder. I kind of feel bad that I posted this stuff about it and its here on the internet forever and will follow the car to the detriment of the current owner but nothing made sense until I saw the theft report. It was the top item on the 2nd page, just a single line item. Skimmed right past it.

I think the December, 1969 must be a typo or something. The strangest thing is none of the dates make sense. The watermark on the picture says Feb, 2015 but the Carfax indicates 9/2015. Its reasonable to think the Carfax is wrong but the collision warning matches up with that date.???

Yes, they are asking current market price, $62,000 which is what the asking price was when they bought it based on the google archives from what I can tell. Google is your friend..sometimes. Do your homework folks.
Clearly it's a typo since in 1969, the car was 35 years from going into production. The typo just adds to the overall sloppy, chaotic and what seems like dishonest description and story of the car though. The impression (to me at least) is that little or no effort went into an honest and accurate description of this car and its history.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

FYI this car has made it back to the Chicago area and is now for sale at a Porsche dealer. Buyer beware!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=232590956
Old 02-20-2019, 10:17 PM
DaBigBR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had surprising luck just Google searching VINs. It's found me forum posts (here and elsewhere) on cars I was looking at and provided eye-opening information in some cases.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Depending on use case, how long you plan to keep it, and how good of a deal you can get.. I wouldn't immediately pitch it out for having been stolen. If I could buy it for 10-15k (that could be 25% depending on which 997.2 Carrera it is) under the going rate and planned to keep it, I might have PPI done and consider it. At or near regular price, no way.
Agreed. Also as a vehicle gets older, more miles, etc, after the 'occurrences' the less important these issues become to future buyers. Especially if there are records of proper servicing from that point on.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on car history