Sponsored by:

no "brrp" on PDK downshift

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:39 PM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no "brrp" on PDK downshift

My new to me 2010 99.2 PDK arrived 2 weeks ago. Impeccable condition from a PCA owner, with 54 K, PDK, sport chrono and other nice options.
My 4th 911 from 964, 996, 997.1, all manual transmissions.

But there is no great sound on downshifting,- just instant gear change.
(I have been daily driving an Audi S4 with their version of dual clutch, which does a little "brrp", not to mention the Ferrari with F1 tranny that i rented for a half hour in Maranello!)

Is there anything i can do get get more fun/sound/ feel from this car?

thanks
bob
Old 11-09-2018, 02:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

R u in Sport Plus mode and manually shifting? Do you have PSE (sport exhaust)?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
R u in Sport Plus mode and manually shifting? Do you have PSE (sport exhaust)?
have not gone there yet. what i have read it is that it only suitable for track. Our CT club does DE's at Lime Rock, but i will have to wait until next spring. Are you suggesting that i CAN use it on the street?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by bzalforno
have not gone there yet. what i have read it is that it only suitable for track. Our CT club does DE's at Lime Rock, but i will have to wait until next spring. Are you suggesting that i CAN use it on the street?
Yes. Just make sure your oil is up to 180. Manually shift before redline.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Your car doesn't make that noise because it was built before all the manufacturers determined that the general car buying population would want a car that made these ridiculously artificial sounding pops and burbles.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:11 PM
bzalforno
Rennlist Member

No PSE. I will put in Sport Plus manual this afternoon after it warms up and see what happens.
( I had PSE on my 997.1 and the was fun.)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the full FabSpeed intake and exhaust with a custom tune on my C2S PDK and it is always making "happy" sounds. Especially, in manual mode.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Sport plus. Manual mode. Let her rev
Old 11-09-2018, 04:49 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No real need for S+, just sport, normal Pasm, go fast and push up on the paddle and hold it: you'll get all the brrrp you ever want.
The PDK will not downshift if the revs are too high so no worries. Go for it!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Your car doesn't make that noise because it was built before all the manufacturers determined that the general car buying population would want a car that made these ridiculously artificial sounding pops and burbles.
i believe he is referring to the sound made from rev matching vs the fake pops and burbles from the exhaust that the newer 991 and bmw M cars produce. If this is the case, I think he has to be in Sport at a minimum. Full disclosure: I don’t own a PDK nor have I ever driven one.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 730 Posts

The PDK rev matches so exactly that it is virtually too smooth. It even lets you do ridiculous downshifts in the middle of a hard driven turn without upsetting the car. And the shifts are fast. To that end the throttle blip is easy to miss.

Don't be afraid of Sport or Sport Plus. They are both very suitable for street use. Plus revs bigger before shifting, but if you are manually shifting then you are in full control. Plus also locks out 7th since this is an overdrive that only slows you down (max speed arrives in 6th and in all cases acceleration is quicker in 6th than in 7th).

Fister for a start on the exhaust. Center delete if you then want more.

Drive. Experiment. Enjoy.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

PSE + Center muffler bypass on my GTS (PDK) and it does have some burbles and popping going on. Its nice, a bit understated for my taste. With just PSE I didn't have much of anything including exhaust sound. The center muffler bypass and PSE valving set to always on (just disconnected the valve closure) is what got it to have some nice burbles and popping.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:45 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

I’ve only had the PDK rev match etc in Sports Plus mode at redline. I almost always drive in Sport Mode. Car is boring in normal mode.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by bzalforno
Sport plus in auto mode is for track since it holds the gears to redline. Sport plus in manual mode is no different than sport or normal mode in manual mode, just much quicker. I use sport plus all the time in manual mode. As for exhaust sound, do you have PSE and just as importantly, do you still have the center muffler on the car? It ruins the exhaust even with the PSE. I have PSE and Sharkwerks x-over pipes instead of the OEM center muffler and get all kinds of pops and gurgles during both up and down shifts.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:20 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 740 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
PSE + Center muffler bypass on my GTS (PDK) and it does have some burbles and popping going on. Its nice, a bit understated for my taste. With just PSE I didn't have much of anything including exhaust sound. The center muffler bypass and PSE valving set to always on (just disconnected the valve closure) is what got it to have some nice burbles and popping.
^^^ this, or Fisters if you do not have PSE with the center bypass and you will get noises but they will not be replicable every time like newer cars because like mentioned above, those newer cars are programmed to make those noises, so they happen without finesse. It wont make more popping noises but you can also get some intake noise from simply dropping in a better flowing serviceable BMC filter and you can cap off the intake muffler if you want more.

Quick Reply: no "brrp" on PDK downshift